Asprin

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Bob Incognito, Jan 13, 2004.

  1. I have a medical question for all of you medical types out there.

    Firstly, will taking half an aspirin lower high blood pressure? I'm aware
    that a large percentage of Dr's prescribe half an aspirin to stroke victims,
    etc to thin the blood and prevent further troubles.

    Secondly, if taking half an aspirin will lower high blood pressure would it
    be of any benefit to take half before going on a long ride? Thanks in
    advance....

    Tags:

  2. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "Bob Incognito" wrote
    > I have a medical question for all of you medical types out there.
    >
    > Firstly, will taking half an aspirin lower high blood pressure? I'm aware
    > that a large percentage of Dr's prescribe half an aspirin to stroke

    victims,
    > etc to thin the blood and prevent further troubles.
    >
    > Secondly, if taking half an aspirin will lower high blood pressure would

    it
    > be of any benefit to take half before going on a long ride? Thanks in
    > advance....

    Yes, and probably not. Caution: It will reduce your blood's ability to clot,
    so when you bleed, you will bleed for longer. It is reputed to contribute to
    stomach problem. The Red Cross will not accept your blood if you've had
    aspirin in the last few days.

    Investigate and make sure you know what you're doing.

    Theo

  3. "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Bob Incognito" wrote
    > > I have a medical question for all of you medical types out there.
    > >
    > > Firstly, will taking half an aspirin lower high blood pressure? I'm

    aware
    > > that a large percentage of Dr's prescribe half an aspirin to stroke

    > victims,
    > > etc to thin the blood and prevent further troubles.
    > >
    > > Secondly, if taking half an aspirin will lower high blood pressure would

    > it
    > > be of any benefit to take half before going on a long ride? Thanks in
    > > advance....

    > Yes, and probably not. Caution: It will reduce your blood's ability to

    clot,
    > so when you bleed, you will bleed for longer. It is reputed to contribute

    > stomach problem. The Red Cross will not accept your blood if you've had
    > aspirin in the last few days.
    >
    > Investigate and make sure you know what you're doing.
    >
    > Theo

    I'm aware of it's ability to reduce clotting. That's how it prevents
    strokes. (Two major types of stroke are simply clots in the brain).

    I was thinking that it must be of some benefit to lower your blood pressure
    before starting a long. gruelling ride in Sydney's heat. Anyway, thanks
    for your reply!

  4. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Bob Incognito <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have a medical question for all of you medical types out there.

    > Firstly, will taking half an aspirin lower high blood pressure? I'm aware
    > that a large percentage of Dr's prescribe half an aspirin to stroke victims,
    > etc to thin the blood and prevent further troubles.

    > Secondly, if taking half an aspirin will lower high blood pressure would it
    > be of any benefit to take half before going on a long ride? Thanks in
    > advance....

    If you're planning on doing this regularly, surely a qualified medico
    is a much better bet than usenet?

    --
    Nick

  5. asprin does not work that fast
    it takes a period of time to thin the blood
    google is your friend here

    --

    "Bob Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "Bob Incognito" wrote
    > > > I have a medical question for all of you medical types out there.
    > > >
    > > > Firstly, will taking half an aspirin lower high blood pressure? I'm

    > aware
    > > > that a large percentage of Dr's prescribe half an aspirin to stroke

    > > victims,
    > > > etc to thin the blood and prevent further troubles.
    > > >
    > > > Secondly, if taking half an aspirin will lower high blood pressure

    would
    > > it
    > > > be of any benefit to take half before going on a long ride? Thanks in
    > > > advance....

    > > Yes, and probably not. Caution: It will reduce your blood's ability to

    > clot,
    > > so when you bleed, you will bleed for longer. It is reputed to

    contribute
    > > stomach problem. The Red Cross will not accept your blood if you've had
    > > aspirin in the last few days.
    > >
    > > Investigate and make sure you know what you're doing.
    > >
    > > Theo
    > >

    > I'm aware of it's ability to reduce clotting. That's how it prevents
    > strokes. (Two major types of stroke are simply clots in the brain).
    >
    > I was thinking that it must be of some benefit to lower your blood

    pressure
    > before starting a long. gruelling ride in Sydney's heat. Anyway, thanks
    > for your reply!

  6. Spider1977

    Spider1977 Guest

    Bob Incognito wrote:
    > I have a medical question for all of you medical types out there.
    > Firstly, will taking half an aspirin lower high blood pressure? I'm
    > aware that a large percentage of Dr's prescribe half an aspirin to
    > stroke victims, etc to thin the blood and prevent further troubles.
    > Secondly, if taking half an aspirin will lower high blood pressure would
    > it be of any benefit to take half before going on a long ride? Thanks in
    > advance....

    The taking of aspirin to guard against stroke and blood pressure ha
    been going on ever since the stuff was invented. My grandmother, wh
    died in the 1960's used to swear by the stuff. I don't know how much sh
    took, but it is family folklore about her love of the stuff. Type I
    diabetes got her at the relatively young mid 60's, so I hope she didn'
    take so much as to effect her major organs (kidneys, liver etc.), bu
    we'll never know

    I agree with other posts that you should seek the advice of a physicia
    (not a pharmacist as many people do) on this one or any other drug fo
    that matter

    -

  7. Spider1977 wrote:

    ....snip......

    > Type II
    > diabetes got her at the relatively young mid 60's, so I hope she didn't
    > take so much as to effect her major organs (kidneys, liver etc.), but
    > we'll never know.

    Taking asprin is contra-indicated for some diabetes tablets.

    Nope, sorry, can not think of cycling content.

    Best way to adjust to the heat is to bicycle regularly right from
    spring.

  8. John Dwyer

    John Dwyer Guest

    "Bob Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have a medical question for all of you medical types out there.
    >
    > Firstly, will taking half an aspirin lower high blood pressure? I'm aware
    > that a large percentage of Dr's prescribe half an aspirin to stroke

    victims,
    > etc to thin the blood and prevent further troubles.
    >
    > Secondly, if taking half an aspirin will lower high blood pressure would

    it
    > be of any benefit to take half before going on a long ride? Thanks in
    > advance....

    I had triple bypass surgery seven years ago and am advised to take about 100
    mg asprin per day to reduce the incidence of heart artery blockage.

    I cannot comment on other issues.

    John Dwyer

  9. amirm

    amirm Guest

    Bob Incognito wrote:
    > I have a medical question for all of you medical types out there.
    > Firstly, will taking half an aspirin lower high blood pressure? I'm
    > aware that a large percentage of Dr's prescribe half an aspirin to
    > stroke victims, etc to thin the blood and prevent further troubles.
    > Secondly, if taking half an aspirin will lower high blood pressure would
    > it be of any benefit to take half before going on a long ride? Thanks in
    > advance....

    1. Aspirin acts best at a contant dose, so taking immediately befor
    your ride is not going to help

    2. Aspirin is among drugs that can cause chemical erosions in the muco
    of stomach and deoudenum, hence, possible irritaions or even wors
    depending on your genetic make-up

    3. How do you know where about your blood pressure is, and how ar
    you certain lowering it will help coping with the heat
    Remember fainting is a natural body response to too low a bloo
    pressure. Nausia and fainting is a risk you don't need whil
    riding in Sydney!

    4. If, and if only, lowering your blood pressure is the way to go whic
    has to be after medical consultation, why not try natural remedie
    such as grape fruit (or its juice)? and why resort to drugs? I,
    sure there are many natural alternatives out there. Remember takin
    any drugs means extra work for liver primaraily, and these days wit
    all unhealthy things going around, taking unnecessary medicine ia
    bit insane, sorry

    My 2 cents

    -

  10. Roadie_scum

    Roadie_scum Guest

    Bob Incognito wrote:
    > I have a medical question for all of you medical types out there.
    > Firstly, will taking half an aspirin lower high blood pressure? I'm
    > aware that a large percentage of Dr's prescribe half an aspirin to
    > stroke victims, etc to thin the blood and prevent further troubles.
    > Secondly, if taking half an aspirin will lower high blood pressure would
    > it be of any benefit to take half before going on a long ride? Thanks in
    > advance....

    I think, if I may repeat what others have said, you would be best t
    see a real doctor. There is a lot of expertise around these forums, bu
    it's often hard to work out who is really on the ball. I can tell you
    anyone who's done 10 years of medical training is probably very on th
    ball in their specialty, so you might want to see a sports med doctor
    I'd reccomend this before any sort of supplementation, radical die
    change, etc

    Also, for those of you who consider advocating radical supplementation
    diet change, or drug taking without appropriate medical supervision, yo
    might want to seriously consider your legal liability if something goe
    wrong. Have you guys read about the 'nutritonist' from the north coas
    of NSW who got done for manslaughter of a child with a heart proble
    because he encouraged the child's parents to stay away from wester
    medical techniques (that would have probably saved the poor kid's life)

    -

  11. its_stuart

    its_stuart Guest

    Roadie_scum wrote:
    > I think, if I may repeat what others have said, you would be best to
    > see a real doctor. There is a lot of expertise around these forums, but
    > it's often hard to work out who is really on the ball. I can tell you,
    > anyone who's done 10 years of medical training is probably very on the
    > ball in their specialty, so you might want to see a sports med doctor.
    > I'd reccomend this before any sort of supplementation, radical diet
    > change, etc.
    > Also, for those of you who consider advocating radical supplementation,
    > diet change, or drug taking without appropriate medical supervision, you
    > might want to seriously consider your legal liability if something goes
    > wrong. Have you guys read about the 'nutritonist' from the north coast
    > of NSW who got done for manslaughter of a child with a heart problem
    > because he encouraged the child's parents to stay away from western
    > medical techniques (that would have probably saved the poor kid's life)?

    This is good advice and can be applied to anything you are tol
    anywhere. Even in a professional environment you can be told the wron
    thing. If you have high blood pressure you should already be takin
    something for it. I'm suffering from hypertension and have decided no
    to go on medication as yet. I have perscribed myself regular excersiz
    and a healthier diet. So far (6 mnths) I have seen a marke
    inprovement in my BP and can tackle a ride of about 60km @ an averag
    of 26km/Hr. Once you are taking blood pressure/ cholestrol medicatio
    you are ON IT FOR LIFE

    Bear that in mind and ride on :

    -