Ass chaffing

kopride

May 17, 2006
I rode 175 miles this weekend as part of a charity ride. I need to wear a jock due to prior bouts of epiditimitis, but then I got extreme chaffing from the rear straps on a long ride. I am feeling it today. For me, it is choose your pain. I have used Chamois butter, and a zinc oxide based stick. The inner cotton underwear type skins don't have enough support, and from past history I know that bareback is no real option, because then I am dealing with testicular pain leading to epiditimitis.

The jock is fine for rides under 50 miles, but after that the chaffing is debilitating

Suggestions?

No more long charity rides. ;)

kopride said:
I rode 175 miles this weekend as part of a charity ride. I need to wear a jock due to prior bouts of epiditimitis, but then I got extreme chaffing from the rear straps on a long ride. I am feeling it today. For me, it is choose your pain. I have used Chamois butter, and a zinc oxide based stick. The inner cotton underwear type skins don't have enough support, and from past history I know that bareback is no real option, because then I am dealing with testicular pain leading to epiditimitis.

The jock is fine for rides under 50 miles, but after that the chaffing is debilitating

Suggestions?

After weeks of agany caused by saddle sores and wearing jocks,i now ride commando but,there are those days when the boys just won't get into the right possition and i have been thinking latelly ,what about some type of only frontal piece that encases just the jewels and secures to the shorts tensioning cord.

kopride said:

Suggestions?
Santini CX Bibshort with Twist Gel Chamois. There are two versions of this but the better one with the external chamois. This uses a separate panel for the chamois that is attached externally, leaving no stitching that can touch the skin (the other version has sticthes in the Twist Gel chamois with standard internal stitching around the edge. These are far less comfortable due to stitching irritation and chafing.)

HowardSteele said:
After weeks of agany caused by saddle sores and wearing jocks,i now ride commando but,there are those days when the boys just won't get into the right possition and i have been thinking latelly ,what about some type of only frontal piece that encases just the jewels and secures to the shorts tensioning cord.
Yeah, in my case, the "boy" pain is no joke and I have been through the whole run of antibiotics to address epiditimitis, followed by missed weeks of riding because of it. If I have to choose, I will pick saddle sores, but I have to think that there is a market for a cycling specific jock. I have also use a split seat, which offers some relief

kopride said:

Suggestions?
Wow, 175 miles wearing jock straps would give me major chaffing too. Can't imagine what a jock would do though that a good-fitting pair of heavyweight lycra shorts or bibs wouldn't. If you just need to keep everything up and away from the seat, properly fitted cycling shorts should do that. Besides, if you're dealing with an infection of the urethra, seems fewer layers and better moisture control would be important. I'd still use the skin lubricant of course on the chamois pad.

ive taken a bandana, folded it in half, gone under the boys and up to support them, them pulled my shorts on. this is something ive learned from backpacking, looks a little funny under lycra, but it works, maybe try something like that.

snaps10 said:
ive taken a bandana, folded it in half, gone under the boys and up to support them, them pulled my shorts on. this is something ive learned from backpacking, looks a little funny under lycra, but it works, maybe try something like that.
Hey,this could be a marketable idea,are you guys out in the east getting this.

dhk2 said:
Wow, 175 miles wearing jock straps would give me major chaffing too. Can't imagine what a jock would do though that a good-fitting pair of heavyweight lycra shorts or bibs wouldn't. If you just need to keep everything up and away from the seat, properly fitted cycling shorts should do that. Besides, if you're dealing with an infection of the urethra, seems fewer layers and better moisture control would be important. I'd still use the skin lubricant of course on the chamois pad.
My condition is essentially chronic and can be inflamed with excessive exercise or pressure --my doctor believes it was initially caused because either I wasn't urinating after sex (another reason why post coital cuddling time is overrated) or I picked it up as a rower where urinating while exercising was difficult. (He told me it was the number one condition he treated when he was an army doctor assigned to a Ranger base). Either way, I am long past the point of trying to prevent the underlying condition and a jock seems to dramatically decrease flare ups.

How about sewing sheepskin along the straps at the worst chafe points (with the woolly side against the skin, of course).

Recumbant bike.
biggrin.gif
sorry. hehe

I have suffered numbness [for 4 days after riding] from one saddle, and the "split" saddle I used first gave me saddle sores & callouses because it was too "flat" - & the edges dug into my inner legs.

I now have a Selle SMP seat - hardcore spilt you can put your hand through - but it is like riding a cloud for me. No numbness - no side-of-the-seat sores. It's light and looks crazy - but it really works.

My tip for your bits - tuck them *up* and away - not a good look at the cafe - but best to ride. Use bib nicks that hold the chamois in place & get a good quality chamois - adidas is the best for my buck so far - but unwrapped 2 pairs new of santini CX bibs today - so hope they're good!

And NEVER put anything under your nicks - they are designed to go next to your skin - another layer that will rub against the nicks one way & skin the other is a blueprint for chafing. I find that even cheaper nicks with a less moulded chamois are to be avoided for rides over 40km.

my poor 2c :)

pixelmill said:
I have suffered numbness [for 4 days after riding] from one saddle, and the "split" saddle I used first gave me saddle sores & callouses because it was too "flat" - & the edges dug into my inner legs.

I now have a Selle SMP seat - hardcore spilt you can put your hand through - but it is like riding a cloud for me. No numbness - no side-of-the-seat sores. It's light and looks crazy - but it really works.

My tip for your bits - tuck them *up* and away - not a good look at the cafe - but best to ride. Use bib nicks that hold the chamois in place & get a good quality chamois - adidas is the best for my buck so far - but unwrapped 2 pairs new of santini CX bibs today - so hope they're good!

And NEVER put anything under your nicks - they are designed to go next to your skin - another layer that will rub against the nicks one way & skin the other is a blueprint for chafing. I find that even cheaper nicks with a less moulded chamois are to be avoided for rides over 40km.

my poor 2c :)
Was talking with another fan of the SMP saddle over the weekend. He said it's the best he's found. The droop noise sure looks weird though. It looks wide enough to provide proper support of the sitzbones even for big guys, as opposed to a lot of the italian race saddles designed for the 5'8" 140 lb racer.

Agree that wearing anything under the shorts/bibs defeats the design. You've seconded my point about the shorts being able to hold everything up...."Petacchi-style" for those who watch the TdF. Would think any properly fitted short with heavyweight and supportive lycra material ought to work as well as a jockstrap.

dhk2 said:
Was talking with another fan of the SMP saddle over the weekend. He said it's the best he's found. The droop noise sure looks weird though. It looks wide enough to provide proper support of the sitzbones even for big guys, as opposed to a lot of the italian race saddles designed for the 5'8" 140 lb racer.

Agree that wearing anything under the shorts/bibs defeats the design. You've seconded my point about the shorts being able to hold everything up...."Petacchi-style" for those who watch the TdF. Would think any properly fitted short with heavyweight and supportive lycra material ought to work as well as a jockstrap.
I dropped US $250 on my current saddle so replacing a saddle and investing in high dollar bib shorts $125 plus another $215 for the SMP means I am basically out $600 and I am not even sure that I won't still need a jock after all is said and done. There is a difference. Throw on even the best cycling shorts (I usually wear giordano or Pearl Izumi) and then throw on a 15 dollar jock strap and tell me which supports the "boys" better. But I asked for suggestions so I can't ***** when you give em to me. As an aside, my testicular pain has been completely solved and not come back for almost a year (after a three year on and off bout) with a jock and my current saddle, the issue is the damn chaffing straps on my ass. The chaffing can be treated with a little vaseline and a few days off. Once the testicular pain comes back, it is literally weeks of agony and relapses.

Thanks for all the suggestions. But what we really need is a cycling specific jock with chaff free straps.

dhk2 said:

The SMP is the best designed saddle I have used - it's actually thinner than most Selle Italia saddles - but the sides run down the inside of the leg - so no chafing there - the centre cut is wide enough for real comfort and the slight upsweep at the back lets you "feel" your sit point better - and you get better distribution of the weight right through the seat.

I am 6"3 and 105kgs [that's a slip over 230lbs] and that's really been a lot of sit for the saddle.

Maybe not for everyone - but I love it - and it actually looks pretty mean on the bike - which doesn't hurt! :D

kopride said:

Suggestions?
Take a look at this product:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRM460/

The thinner, lycra straps may be less likely to chafe.

kopride said:

Suggestions?
I am not sure what sort of jock you are talking about or using but have you looked at the ones they use for post testicular epididimus surgery called a suspensory or suspensories. I did a quick search in the old goog search engine.
You can find some that only have a waist strap and no leg straps with a bit at the front to hold johnny and his two friends in place bit like a ceiling hammock. It might be the answer as you will have no straps near the sitpoints on your backside to cause chaffing.
Just ignore the other non shop/medical sites in the search results.
redface.gif
I don't know that much about but you can find some reading if you do that search.

Cheers

hd reynolds said:
Santini CX Bibshort with Twist Gel Chamois. There are two versions of this but the better one with the external chamois. This uses a separate panel for the chamois that is attached externally, leaving no stitching that can touch the skin (the other version has sticthes in the Twist Gel chamois with standard internal stitching around the edge. These are far less comfortable due to stitching irritation and chafing.)

That's not quite true. Santini no longer makes the external stitching because of some defects surrounding the shorts pulling apart. They do make the internal bib known as the Solo. The CX bibs are completely different than the Twist Gel. The CX features the Professional Pad which was their top of the line pad a few years ago. We sell these bib shorts for $59 at the moment and they whip the pants off any low end short on the market.

The Twist Gel is for me the best shorts at the price for chaffing. I also like Giordana bibs but at $229 they're steep for most people.

bicyclinghub said:
That's not quite true. Santini no longer makes the external stitching because of some defects surrounding the shorts pulling apart.
I'm speaking from my own experience with these shorts.