Assault On Mt. Mitchell

82zman

Mar 27, 2006
I am interested in doing this ride.

How does one gain entry to this event? Is it a requirement to do Marion first? I am not finding a lot of specifics on this event, even on the event web site. What the heak is a pass code and how does one obtain one?

I did see that the members of the Spartans get the first crack at entry but I am wondering about the rest of the world.

Also I am also considering a self supported ride on my own on a different date. Has anyone tried this?

82zman said:

How does one gain entry to this event? Is it a requirement to do Marion first? I am not finding a lot of specifics on this event, even on the event web site. What the heak is a pass code and how does one obtain one?

I did see that the members of the Spartans get the first crack at entry but I am wondering about the rest of the world.

Also I am also considering a self supported ride on my own on a different date. Has anyone tried this?

Hi there, can you post the website url?

82zman said:

Here is site for you to check out. Hell of a ride, good luck!

35th Assault on Mt. Mitchell®

I have been on the official web site but it fails to describe what a passcode is or how to obtain one unless your a member of the club. Although I found information elsewhere that indicates that you must do Marion first before you can do Mitchell the web site says nothing about it

If you want to suffer you may want to look into The English Mountain challenge held in late May. You can click on the ride profile below.

Untitled Document

If you are not a member of the club, you cannot and will not need a pass code. The members of the Spartanburg Freewheelers get the pass code to guarantee that they get a spot. I do suggest that you register early on February 16th in order to get considered for a spot.

I rode the actual Assault once in 1991 but I have been on rides of the same route three times since then. The Assault is nice once for the experience but I much prefer the informal rides with our own SAG. It is a killer though, and you have to be in shape. The view from the top is spectacular if you have enough strength left after the ride to hike the last 1/4 mile to the summit. You can see 4 states from there on a clear day. One of the most unique sights that I have seen came last year on an informal group ride. We encountered fog for the last half mile up to the parking area for the summit trail. Hiking up the trail took us above the fog and it was strange to get up on the platform on the summit and look down on the clouds.

If you do decide to ride the route but not as part of the Assault, make sure that you have transportation for you and your bike waiting at the summit to take you back down. The steep continuous 3 mile hill off the summit will toast your brakes and the stop sign at the busy Blue Ridge Parkway sort of sneaks up on you if you try to ride your bike back down.