Assaulted by a paint ball gun...

fireing shots into the air is more deadly then the paintballs... and wouldent carrying a gun in a bag be considered a concealed weapon?

free_rideman said:
If you do carry a gun for protection, you could pull it out and shot about three warning shots into the air. I bet they would be louder than the kids paintball gun, and would get his attention quickly. Now with this idea, you might get hit more times, but at least when the kid does stop, he wouldn't have anywhere to go, and the cops could come, and you could press charges. See, no one gets hurt.

But you might need an awfully load gun. Oh well.

--Is it illegal to fire warning shots into the air? I suppose it wouldn't be as dangerous as pointing a gun at someone, and telling them to stop, since there is always a chance of a freak discharge.

Anyways it definitley sucks, and I hope you catch them. Little F**king rats!
Man, you are absolutely insane! Trust me on this: if the cops do come, you'll be the one riding away in the back seat of the police car to the hoots of the paintballers. I can understand being angry and frustrated but I just don't see how a gun can possibly help you in this situation.

Physics of shooting straight up: the speed lost as the bullet slows on its path upward is regained as it falls back down to earth (accelaration due to gravity). The bullet would actually hit the ground with the same force as if you had shot it directly into the ground, if that makes any sense. Not as dangerous as pointing a gun at someone, but I'd hate to be dodging my own warning shots... Wouldn't that be ironic?:rolleyes:

Retro Grouch said:
Man, you are absolutely insane! Trust me on this: if the cops do come, you'll be the one riding away in the back seat of the police car to the hoots of the paintballers. I can understand being angry and frustrated but I just don't see how a gun can possibly help you in this situation.

I can't see how a gun would help you in any situation on a bike. :eek:

blackbird05 said:
Physics of shooting straight up: the speed lost as the bullet slows on its path upward is regained as it falls back down to earth (accelaration due to gravity). The bullet would actually hit the ground with the same force as if you had shot it directly into the ground, if that makes any sense. Not as dangerous as pointing a gun at someone, but I'd hate to be dodging my own warning shots... Wouldn't that be ironic?:rolleyes:

Muzzle velocity would be greater than terminal velocity when the projectile falls back to earth.

So the impact on the ground would be less than if you fired the bullet into the ground.

Still enough to kill someone tho'.

First of all I was being sarcastic to a point, so chill people. I don't carry a gun, and I am against them to some degree, and don't think it would solve anything in any cycling situation (unless you are getting some how robbed with a gun pointed at your face, which even then it would be too late).

But interesting point all you brought up. I wonder though, if the ternimal velocity really would be great enough to kill someone. Probably just because of the small size of the bullet it would. Since pressure distributed over a small area will cause more damage.

What about carying a gun that shots blanks only? Can't really get arrested for shooting blanks can you? Sorry if this is stupid, but it would be funny to see! Of course though you would shoot into the air (the blanks) so that you don't cause the kid a heart attack (when he thinks that he was shot, but not killed).

I think there are also guns out there that are almost the real thing, but only serve the purpose of shooting blanks or something simillar.

FYI the terminal velocity of a falling bullet depends on its calibre but starts at about 270fps for a .22 bullet. Smaller calibre bullets would likely only cause injuries. Google "bullet terminal velocity".

As to paint ball guns, I got my car hosed by paint balls from a passing car last year. Luckily it was winter and I had my windows up or I could have copped one in the head. Having been shot at various ranges by paint ball guns while wearing appropriate safety gear I can tell you it hurts a LOT. The police caught the kids responsible, the shooter was convicted of discharging a firearm in public, had his paintball gun destroyed and paid a heavy fine for his trouble.

free_rideman said:
What about carying a gun that shots blanks only? Can't really get arrested for shooting blanks can you?

I think there are also guns out there that are almost the real thing, but only serve the purpose of shooting blanks or something simillar.
Not a smart plan either. Now you're got something that looks like a gun so that police, or anybody who's carrying a real one might be justified, or think they are justified, to shoot you. This isn't a game. If you pull out a gun you had better be prepared to use it and you had better be prepared for the consequences of using it. The same is true of anything that looks like a gun.

Fallings bullets do kill. It's a problem around New Years when idiots shoot guns in the air to bring in the New Year. Every few years there is a story of someone killed by falling bullets.

wmtt140 said:
Fallings bullets do kill. It's a problem around New Years when idiots shoot guns in the air to bring in the New Year. Every few years there is a story of someone killed by falling bullets.

That's exactly right. In fact, throughout the 19th and early 20th century in the U.S., Independence Day was typically celebrated by firing guns into the air, but was eventually banned everywhere because hundreds of people were killed each July 4, many by falling bullets.

If some kid shot me with a paintball gun I think I'd freak out. I would be off my bike and curb stomping him before he could even think to run.

62vette said:
FYI the terminal velocity of a falling bullet depends on its calibre but starts at about 270fps for a .22 bullet. Smaller calibre bullets would likely only cause injuries. Google "bullet terminal velocity".

As to paint ball guns, I got my car hosed by paint balls from a passing car last year. Luckily it was winter and I had my windows up or I could have copped one in the head. Having been shot at various ranges by paint ball guns while wearing appropriate safety gear I can tell you it hurts a LOT. The police caught the kids responsible, the shooter was convicted of discharging a firearm in public, had his paintball gun destroyed and paid a heavy fine for his trouble.

You see, there is SOME justice, SOMEtimes. I just hope the ones that fired at the original poster of this thread have the same thing happen to them.:mad:

I Carry a knife everywhere I go, but I don't think I could throw it far enough to hit the paintballer:D

mitosis said:
Still enough to kill someone tho'.
Wrong. A bullet is only going to fall between 150-200fps, or roughly the speed of the paintball gun.

A bullet shot at an angle where it maintains is ballistic trajectory will continue to spin, and still is viable. A bullet fired straight up, however, will tumble during its descent.

SkinnyRob said:
Wrong. A bullet is only going to fall between 150-200fps, or roughly the speed of the paintball gun.

A bullet shot at an angle where it maintains is ballistic trajectory will continue to spin, and still is viable. A bullet fired straight up, however, will tumble during its descent.

So you'd be prepared to stand under a bullet dropped from, say, 1000 metres and let it hit you on the top of the head?

See how wrong I am. LOL.

wmtt140 said:
Foot pounds my man.

mitosis said:
So you'd be prepared to stand under a bullet dropped from, say, 1000 metres and let it hit you on the top of the head?

See how wrong I am. LOL.
Actually, its only going to take roughly 150 meters for it to reach terminal velocity. I dont know why you want to drop it from 1000. The worst its probably going to do is put a lump on your skin and maybe break it. Its definitely not going to penetrate the bone though.

If you want to go see how wrong you are, go ahead. LOL.

SkinnyRob said:
Actually, its only going to take roughly 150 meters for it to reach terminal velocity. I dont know why you want to drop it from 1000. The worst its probably going to do is put a lump on your skin and maybe break it. Its definitely not going to penetrate the bone though.

If you want to go see how wrong you are, go ahead. LOL.

When you call someone wrong its a good idea to know what you are talking about when you do it.

Your minor flesh wound might be for a rhinoceros wearing a flak jacket. :D

The projectile is likely to be close to terminal speed at about 250 metres. The thousand is a typical altitude reached by a small calibre bullet. 1000 metres would also give you time to line it up, you do seem a little slow.

Feel free to do a little research before your next tirade if you are not brave enought to test it for yourself. You might not be so keen to get that little "lump on the skin". ;)

You could start by finding a reaslistic figure for the terminal velocity.

mitosis said:
When you call someone wrong its a good idea to know what you are talking about when you do it.

The projectile is likely to be close to terminal speed at about 250 metres. The thousand is a typical altitude reached by a small calibre bullet. 1000 metres would also give you time to line it up, you do seem a little slow.

Feel free to do a little research before your next tirade if you are not brave enought to test it for yourself. You might not be so keen to get that little "lump on the skin". ;)

Considering I did ballistics when I was a Marine, Im going to tell you, youre still wrong. A 9mm handgun load, at terminal velocity, is only around 150 m/s. And because you have no understanding of physics, Im going to explain this to you. It doesnt matter if its 250 meters or 1000 meters, because, based on physics, terminal velocity is reached after 250 meters. You know, gravity pulls things towards the earth at 32 ft/second until they reach terminal velocity?

You also forget that, a bullet fired straight up WILL NOT be spinning when it starts its descent, because it loses its balllistic trajectory. Instead, it will be tumbling on its side. It doesnt matter if its a .22 or a .50BMG, it still tumbles.

So, to wrap up, YOU might want to do a little research, and find some realistic figures, before you start barking up the wrong tree, AGAIN. And, you might want to heed your own advice in your first statement. I know what Im talking about, because I did this for years. You, on the other hand, do not.

mitosis said:

Just in case youre still not convinced though, here is the FAQ from the author of "How bullets fly"

http://www.nennstiel-ruprecht.de/bullfly/faq.htm#Q13

Q: If a bullet is fired vertically from a rifle, what will its terminal velocity be if it strikes the top of someones head on its way back down?

A: This question is hard to answer in general. The best I can give is a "worst-case" estimation.
When a gun is fired vertically, the bullet after some time reaches a summit where the velocity is zero, and then falls back. The bullet will fall back base first which is hard to calculate. I can estimate the velocity if it would fall nose first, that is the normal flying position for which drag is well known - so the real terminal velocity will actually be smaller than the following prediction.

• For a .22 lr bullet (m=40 grain, v0 = 1150 ft/s)
    the summit will be at 1164 ft, the total flight time 30 seconds and the terminal velocity 270 ft/s
  • For a SS109 military bullet (m= 55 grain, v0=3200 ft/s)
    the summit will be at 2650 ft, the total flight time 44 seconds and the terminal velocity 404 ft/s.
    For this bullet are indications that it will become unstable. This will further reduce summit height and terminal velocity considerably.
Class is concluded for today. Any other questions?