Assembled Bike, much to tune... how?

CcL

Jan 16, 2006
Hey guys,
I've just got a new 2004 marin eldridge grade. I assembled it and find few problems...

First, the discbrakes rubs the pads for both front and rear after i tighten the QR. They are Mavic M117 wheelset... Avid mechanical.

Next was the front deraileur(Deore)... chain rubs the cage. And the rear deraileur(LX) skips at every revolution of the pedal when the front gears are in 1 or 2. I know I've gotto do some tuning, but how?

I've downloaded manual for the deraileurs with no help... Is there any article around to teach me how to do a general tune up after assembling the bike? I got this off the net, so I can't go to any shops...

Hope to get some help... Thank you!

Take it to the local bike shop and pay the fee. :)

I would charge $40 to assemble a supermarket bike!

CcL said:
Hey guys,
I've just got a new 2004 marin eldridge grade. I assembled it and find few problems...

First, the discbrakes rubs the pads for both front and rear after i tighten the QR. They are Mavic M117 wheelset... Avid mechanical.

Next was the front deraileur(Deore)... chain rubs the cage. And the rear deraileur(LX) skips at every revolution of the pedal when the front gears are in 1 or 2. I know I've gotto do some tuning, but how?

I've downloaded manual for the deraileurs with no help... Is there any article around to teach me how to do a general tune up after assembling the bike? I got this off the net, so I can't go to any shops...

If you have the time to spend a few hours, and have the tools and skills to do it yourself, check out: www.parktool.com/repair/

Or, as George said, go see an LBS with a good mechanic. You'll likely need a shop sooner or later anyway, and might as well start off with everything right. A pro will go over the safety stuff like the headset installation, fastener torques, BB and crankarm, brake adjustments as well as setting up the derailleurs, shift cables, minor wheel truing. Get it done right and you can spend your time riding, not tinkering.

CcL said:
Hey guys,

The Parktool site will tell you how to adjust the gears in the correct order.

With the disks rubbing the brake pads, if they are hydraulic it is fairly simple to adjust this. With the wheels correctly installed and QR tightened, loosen the bolts holding the calipers just enough so the caliper assembly can move then apply the brake firmly and retighten the bolts while still applying the brake. This will properly center the caliper assembly such that when you release the brake lever the pads will move away from the disk. You should apply the correct torque to the bolts because you don't want the brakes to come loose and you don't want to thread the bolt like I did once.

hey guys

well, got the front discbrake to not rub easily. however, the rear one is not exactly straight, thus rubbing! :mad: is it normal for a new bike?

also, i've adjusted the front and rear derailleurs as per the article. all is good when the front gear engaged is the largest gear. however, when i engage the middle gear in front, and when the rear is the smallest cog, the chain tends to skip slightly. lastly, when i engage the smallest gear in front, and the rear is the smallest cog, the chain jump alot and deraill and get stuck itself...! however, if i peddle backwards in the same config (front smallest, rear smallest), it doesn't derail!

pictures are included:
1 is when the front gear is smallest, and the rear is smallest. Peddling normally, chain derails itself from the tension pulley.

2 is the same config but peddling backwards. It doesn't derail.

3 is the same config showing the weird angle of the chain.

any advice? thanks

CcL said:
hey guys

well, got the front discbrake to not rub easily. however, the rear one is not exactly straight, thus rubbing! :mad: is it normal for a new bike?

also, i've adjusted the front and rear derailleurs as per the article. all is good when the front gear engaged is the largest gear. however, when i engage the middle gear in front, and when the rear is the smallest cog, the chain tends to skip slightly. lastly, when i engage the smallest gear in front, and the rear is the smallest cog, the chain jump alot and deraill and get stuck itself...!

any advice? thanks
The two little/ little. big/big, little/big, and big/little combos are usually there you will experience problems. It try to stay out of them as much as possible.

Is your front derailluer lined up properly? I know ya said you have it adjusted, but is it correct as far as spacing from the chain, and it it parallel to the frame? Watch the chain from different angles and see if the derailluer is touching it and causing it to jump, and adjust it accordingly.

oops
u replied fast! i've posted 3 pics, 3rd one shows the angle of the chain. its weird. this is my 4th marin and boy, its giving me a headache!

CcL said:
oops
u replied fast! i've posted 3 pics, 3rd one shows the angle of the chain. its weird. this is my 4th marin and boy, its giving me a headache!
Is that little/ little? Not your fault, but its REAL hard to diagnose from pics. Take it to a shop, they can prolly get that thing spinning real quick. Dont ask fr a tune up, ask for derailluer adjustments, there usually ~ $7 each at my LBS

triguy98 said:
Is that little/ little? Not your fault, but its REAL hard to diagnose from pics. Take it to a shop, they can prolly get that thing spinning real quick. Dont ask fr a tune up, ask for derailluer adjustments, there usually ~ $7 each at my LBS
oh. derailleur adjustment for $7? thats alright... coz i heard it was like $40 or $50, i didn't dare go. moreover winter now, don't wanna ride my bike to the shop...

by the way, my problem, could it be due to a faulty derailleur? because i got this bike from the states and i'm in canada. if its a faulty part, i must inform them asap!

thanks man. guess i'll have to go to a LBS then.

$40- $50 is for a tuneup. Call em first and ask how much and adjustment is. If they dont just do adjustments, maybe someone else will.