assembling a bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Vincent Chiao, Jun 7, 2003.

  1. hello, i have decided to put together a road bike completely from scratch--partly to save a bit of
    money, but mostly just to see how it's done. i was wondering if anybody knows of any good resources
    that give step by step instructions on this; i've found instructions for lots of isolated
    parts--installing and adjusting derailleurs, putting in the headset, etc., but am looking for
    something which might cover the process as a whole--perhaps with a recommended order for installing
    the parts. any suggestions? thanks!
    v.

    Tags:

  2. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "vincent chiao" wrote:
    > hello, i have decided to put together a road bike completely from scratch--partly to save a bit of
    > money, but mostly just to see how it's done. i was wondering if anybody knows of any good
    > resources that give
    step
    > by step instructions on this; i've found instructions for lots of isolated parts--installing and
    > adjusting derailleurs, putting in the headset, etc., but am looking for something which might
    > cover the process as a whole--perhaps with a recommended order for installing the parts. any
    > suggestions? thanks!

    This is the order of assembly I use:

    Headset Wheels Stem/Handlebars Seatpost/Saddle Bottom Bracket Cranks Pedals Brakes Deraileurs Chain
    STI levers Cables

    Art Harris

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], vincent chiao <[email protected]> typed:
    > hello, i have decided to put together a road bike completely from scratch--partly to save a bit of
    > money, but mostly just to see how it's done.

    It won't be cheaper if you are buying all the parts but it is satisfying. I generally do forks
    first, then BB, handlebars, gears & brakes, wheels, seatpost but the order, other than what logic
    dictates, is not critical. I've not come across a complete guide, not that I've looked, but there is
    plenty on the web about each particular step.

    Enjoy

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  4. Ari

    Ari Guest

    zinn and the art of road bike maintenance is a good guide to own:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1884737706/ref=lib_dp_sp_1/102
    -6634984-9686565?v=glance&s=books&vi=slide-show#reader-link

    that amazon link has 15 sample pages

    "vincent chiao" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hello, i have decided to put together a road bike completely from scratch--partly to save a bit of
    > money, but mostly just to see how it's done. i was wondering if anybody knows of any good
    > resources that give
    step
    > by step instructions on this; i've found instructions for lots of isolated parts--installing and
    > adjusting derailleurs, putting in the headset, etc., but am looking for something which might
    > cover the process as a whole--perhaps with a recommended order for installing the parts. any
    > suggestions? thanks!
    > v.

  5. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284
    Sorry Tony but it absolutely CAN be cheaper if you have the patience and motivation to do it right. I took 5 months to build up my frame with all new parts, waiting for LBS sales or great buys from e-bay and I wound up with about $4k worth of bike and accessories for $2300. I have the spreadsheet to document this.

    Good luck Vincent - it IS a satisfying journey.

  6. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    vincent chiao at [email protected] wrote on 6/7/03 4:51 AM:
    > hello, i have decided to put together a road bike completely from scratch--partly to save a bit of
    > money, but mostly just to see how it's done. i was wondering if anybody knows of any good
    > resources that give step by step instructions on this; i've found instructions for lots of
    > isolated parts--installing and adjusting derailleurs, putting in the headset, etc., but am looking
    > for something which might cover the process as a whole--perhaps with a recommended order for
    > installing the parts. any suggestions? thanks!

    A quality workstand is a very good thing. Or at least some method of stabilizing the frame
    whle working.

    I'd begin by greasing and installing the seatpost, then clamping the post into the workstand.

    After that.... innards to outards.... (as others have said)

    Headset fork BB crankset wheels brakes shifty bits chain cables saddle

  7. DiabloScott wrote:

    "Sorry Tony but it absolutely CAN be cheaper if you have the patience and motivation to do it right.
    I took 5 months to build up my frame with all new parts, waiting for LBS sales or great buys from
    e-bay and I wound up with about $4k worth of bike and accessories for $2300. I have the spreadsheet
    to document this.

    Good luck Vincent - it IS a satisfying journey. "

    Not only cheaper, but you'll end up with EXACTLY what you want, not the stock manufacturers
    choise of what they think you should have. And, of course, it's a lot cheaper than going to a
    custom bike maker.

    Plus, not only is it more satisfying, but you'll know your machine intimately, how everything goes
    together and works. Saves a lot on future repair bills.

  8. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 8 Jun 2003 16:00:23 +0950, DiabloScott <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sorry Tony but it absolutely CAN be cheaper if you have the patience and motivation to do it right.

    _can_ be, but it's unlikely to. It's how I like to do it too, but I long ago stopped kidding myself
    that I was doing it to save money. If you happen across a really good deal on something big, like a
    frame or a whole groupset, then it's worth going for.

    Last bike I built, I very nearly bought a complete bike (local bargain offer with good parts on a
    nasty frame) and stripped it for parts because it was going to cost me less than buying them
    separately. Bulk manufacturers get a huge discount, compared to what I can buy at. This is mainly an
    issue for mid-range mass-market MTBs - if you're building a high-end roadie, then assembling from
    scratch carries less of a premium.