Assembling Odi lock jaw clamps?

D T W .../\\...

Guest
Brute force worked, to push the tabs into the jaws, but is there a trick to
it?

How about getting the grips out of the jaws when it's time to replace them?

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest, I've just wasted.

D T W .../\... wrote:
> Brute force worked, to push the tabs into the jaws, but is there a trick to
> it?
>
> How about getting the grips out of the jaws when it's time to replace them?

ODI seems to have changed the tolerances affecting the fit of those
grips into the collars. My first couple of pairs of Lock Jaw grips fit
into the collars with no real force needed. But they moved around a bit
and this caused the tabs to wear requiring that one collar be loosened
occasionally and twisted a bit to take up the slack.

The last couple of pair I installed required quite a bit of force to
push the grips into the collars properly but there was no play between
them once installed and I have not had to make any adjustments in over a
year. I've not had to replace those grips yet so I don't know how
difficult it is to get the grips out of the collars.

KLydesdale wrote:

> I've not had to replace those grips yet so I don't know how
> difficult it is to get the grips out of the collars.

It's always been a simple task in the grip changes I have made.
Normally, I rotate the grips halfway through their lives to get maximum
use as well.

JD

> The last couple of pair I installed required quite a bit of force to
> push the grips into the collars properly but there was no play between
> them once installed and I have not had to make any adjustments in over a
> year.

I noticed the same. I also like the new endcaps that comes with the ODIs.

if you very carefully push a small flat screwdriver into the slot and
twist it, it opens the ring enough to get it off easily.if you twist
too much the clamp breaks and you become weary with life.

cheers

"D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message

| Brute force worked, to push the tabs into the jaws, but is there a trick
| it?
|
| How about getting the grips out of the jaws when it's time to replace
them?

I have Lock-Ons on 6 of my 8 bikes (the other two are road bikes!) I
usually have to line them up, then press them in against the counter top.
Sometimes it takes a good solid smack to pop them into place. It's always
been this way for me - to the point that one time I had to trim them
slightly to get them to fit at all (Bontrager version.)

To get them apart I just insert the flat screwdriver of my Victorinox Swiss
Army knife.