Assos Jersies/Shorts... worth a buck sixty $USD???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Aztec, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Are Assos jersies and shorts really worth what those bad boys cost? I'm not looking for an economist's answer (i.e., if they sell for that price, then they're worth it by definition). Rather, I'm wondering if they're that much 'better' than ordinary gear. I'm picking out XMas gifts for myself and see this as an opportunity...

But $160 for their intermediate jersey? Yikes.

Tags:

2. Cipher

Cipher New Member

I can only comment on the shorts, in my opinion they are not. The pad feels like you are sitting on a firm diaper or something... Everything being equal, I'd stick with Voler.

3. EastCoast

EastCoast New Member

I think Assos is the best by far, worth the money!

4. Waldo

Waldo New Member

Whether they're worth the money is up for grab...fortunately I work in a shop so that helps. I'd say they're definitely great shorts; a noticable improvement over my Castelli bibs (not just in comfort but quality seems to be better as well) and I find them to be far superior to my Volers. That said, this is a highly subjective area. :D

5. Cipher

Cipher New Member

With Assos shorts (which I actually received free from a good friend who happened to have race professionally in Europe for Gan in the late 80's) being 4 times the price of Voler, in my opinion the Assos are over priced.

6. ccdriver

ccdriver New Member

Very well made but big time overpriced, I would never buy there shorts or jerseys again .

7. eddiebrannan

eddiebrannan New Member

this is the funniest reply ever. if you'd responded that they were cheap but turned out to s h i t the second sentence would make sense. but they're great but expensive? so why did you buy them in the first place? and what changed your mind to make you never buy them again? did you renounce conspicuous consumption or something? lose your job? lol

8. EastCoast

EastCoast New Member

Eddie -

You are so correct!

Everything is cycling is overpriced, but not everything is good!

Remember, good quality does not come cheap!

9. ccdriver

ccdriver New Member

I had a friend that owned a shop he sold me stuff at cost plus 10% that is why I bought Assos they were good at that price but he went out of business, I should have said that I would never buy Assos at full retail.

10. labicci

labicci New Member

The Assos shorts are great. I won't say their jerseys not great, but their cutting may not fit every body type. For me their jersey is a little bit tight at the shoulders, and the Cannodale jersey with more generous cutting fits better.

L.B.

11. byron27

byron27 New Member

Havent used the assos, but if you are located in australia check out the cannibal range of knicks. I recently bought 2 pairs and they are the most comfortable knicks i have worn....for about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of assos knicks.

12. BaCardi

BaCardi New Member

IMO, the Assos brand is the most overrated, overpriced sports clothing on the market today. I have tried them all. I agree with the guy praising Voler. Great stuff and reasonable price. I disagree with the guy saying that Assos is better quality than Castelli. They are both comparable to me. The thing that bugs me about the Assos, other than price, is that the stitching isn't double-stitched. The shorts I had were the high-priced bibs. Good shorts, but not as durable as the others I've owned. I like Pearl Izumi and I just got a pair of Nalini's that are really nice. I'll never get another Assos anything, even if they were 50% cheaper, the Pearl Izumi bibs are better quality. Next time at the bike shop, compare the stiching and padding of the two shorts. Most people just look at marketing and blah, blah crap about number of panels each short has.

13. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Hmm, and I thought the padding was the big sell on the Assos.

Never heard of Voler. Did a search and came up w/ nothin'!

14. stevek

stevek New Member

I got a pair of bibs on clearence. ecelent padding. but the material is wearing fast on the outside.
    when I did a search I found that several people have rated them poor wear.
    for shorts I like the etxe-ondo the chamois is more like the real stuff not like cloth that you see on other shorts. plus I got bibs for 78.00

15. larry barr

larry barr New Member

It was love at first ride for me. I won't wear anything else.

16. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Voler's not a label that does much regular retail sale -- they do lots of custom stuff, stuff for teams. If you see Voler in a store, it's usually licensed stuff (team replicas, and so on). I agree with Cipher, though. As far as the complexity of their padding and fabrics go, they're modest, I guess, but definitely good enough... particularly because they're very inexpensive.

If I get something nicer than Voler, it's usually the higher-end stuff from Pearl Izumi or Castelli. Those chamoises are plenty nice, and they're way cheaper than Assos. My a*s is important to me, but Assos is over the top.

17. Feanor

Feanor New Member

I've never owned anything ASSOS, but I have looked at the jersies and bib shorts very closely... I am of the same mindset as you, not knowing and trying to figure out why they are so expensive.

I wasn't able to try any of the stuff on (first in the two most significant measures of comfort and durability) but i examined the construction ie. seams, stitching, material etc, and I honestly could not tell from that brief assessment if there was anything superior about their durability as it related to quality of construction. In fact, it appeared as though the Pearl Izumi clothing I was comparing against had better construction with tighter stitching with what appeared to be thicker thread and tighter seams with less seperating right at the seam edges...

The ASSOS material perhaps is superior, and maybe the fit of the clothing etc... but I can never erase from my mind that of all the shorts I've ever bought, the absolute cheapest Performance shorts ($14.00) are the most comfortable, and the ones I can ride longest in by far...

Wouldn't it absolutely blow if you spent $215 on bib shorts and they were horrible comfort wise?

Have to admit though that the ASSOS stuff is very stylish and good looking. Particularly their cold weather clothing...

18. patch70

patch70 New Member

I like both Castelli & Assos for comfort. Even though the Assos are about double the price, they last about three times longer than the Castellis so for me they are worth it.

19. Cipher

Cipher New Member

http://www.voler.com/

20. drewski

drewski New Member

For the folks who said high-end Pearl was their ceiling, these guys have the Evo Campionisimo bib-shorts on sale for $140. These were last years top of the line @ $200. Add the 10% off and you're @ $126 which is Pearl Izumi Microsensor territory.

I got a pair w/o the 10% additional and find them to be extremely comfortable. The cut is definitely optimized for biking (i.e. they aren't as comfortable standing straight up, but when you're on the bike, you forget they are there.)

Limited sizes when I just looked.

Dear Preferred Assos Customer:

Shop now and receive 10% off any Assos purchase when your purchase amount in your shopping cart exceeds $100.00. Discount is applied at checkout when you enter the Coupon Code: ASSOS and press the recalculate button.

Offer cannot be applied to previous or pending purchases. The offer is for any Assos items listed in stock and appears in our shopping cart.

No rain checks for items out of stock. No price adjustments on previous purchases. Cannot be combined with any other offers. We reserve the right to cancel any order due to unauthorized, altered, or ineligible use of discount and to modify or cancel this promotion due to system error or unforeseen problems. Expires January 18, 2004, 11pm ET.

If you'd like to be removed from our email list, please email us at sales with "Remove" in the subject line. Please allow up to two weeks for your request to be processed. To contact us, email us at [email protected] or write to: Chicagoland Bicycle, 10355 S Kedzie Ave, Chicago IL 60655.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Fred Richard
    Chicagoland Bicycle
    www.cbike.com