Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Assymetrical crank arm lengths ?

Started by Lonnie Utah · · Last activity · 3 posts · 960 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 February 2005
Last activity
1 February 2005
Original author
Lonnie Utah
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
960
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. You know when your out on the bike by yourself for a long time, lot's of time to think. That's where I came up with this one. Just a random thought that popped into my head out on the road....

    I went to high school with a kid that had part of his foot/leg cut off by a lawn mower when he was very young. He wore a special shoe with about 3-4 inches of lit on it. I never saw him on a bike (but he was a great soccer player) I was just thinking, how do/would they retrofit bike for people with significantly assymetrical leg lengths. I know my example is an extreme case, but could you use crank arms of different lengths? Or would the differing lengths play havoc with pedaling cadence...

    As I said this is just one of those head scratchers I came up with while riding and didn't know the answer to.

    L

  2. I bet with a person could develop a decent cadence but I think it might mess up the power. I am no kinesiologist but it seems like the longer leg would be burdened with more work. Also if you lengthen one crank arm to accomodate for a shorter leg it will be fine on the upstroke but the pedal will be further away on the downstroke.

    Lonnie Utah said:

    You know when your out on the bike by yourself for a long time, lot's of time to think. That's where I came up with this one. Just a random thought that popped into my head out on the road....

    I went to high school with a kid that had part of his foot/leg cut off by a lawn mower when he was very young. He wore a special shoe with about 3-4 inches of lit on it. I never saw him on a bike (but he was a great soccer player) I was just thinking, how do/would they retrofit bike for people with significantly assymetrical leg lengths. I know my example is an extreme case, but could you use crank arms of different lengths? Or would the differing lengths play havoc with pedaling cadence...

    As I said this is just one of those head scratchers I came up with while riding and didn't know the answer to.

    L

  3. birdman23 said:

    ..... if you lengthen one crank arm to accomodate for a shorter leg it will be fine on the upstroke but the pedal will be further away on the downstroke.

    Instead I have usually just seen stack height blocks added to the pedal/cleat to accomodate the shorter leg where individuals have a significant difference.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.