Astana to dominate in 2008?

serpico7

Sep 18, 2006
Looks like the roster will include Contador, Levi, and six other riders from Discovery, which dominated every aspect of last year's Tour except for the green jersey competition. Plus Chris Horner. Plus Kloden.

Expect a lot more whining from Cadel at the 2008 Tour.

serpico7 said:
Expect a lot more whining from Cadel at the 2008 Tour.
Cadel is responsible for his position. He needs to grow a pair and demand proper support. He has implied that he might leave after 2008, but he should not have placed himself on a team with a sprinter like McEwen. One of those two needs to leave the team.

If this juggernaut doesn't win the TDF and at least 3 of the top 5 spots it'll be a big surprise. The only thing that would undo them is if the top three started riding against each other but I can't see a Bruyneel team doing that.

They've now got the current TDF winner, last year's third place guy and a guy who's placed 2nd in two of his last three TDF's. (And last year had a good chance to win if he hadn't been forced to drop back to help Vino and then forced to drop out for Vino)

donrhummy said:
The only thing that would undo them is if the top three started riding against each other but I can't see a Bruyneel team doing that.
Actually I would say the most likely thing to undo them would be a positive drug test that stops them from even getting to the startline. No doubt Gripper will have her eyes on these guys from the start of the season.

Wayne666 said:
Actually I would say the most likely thing to undo them would be a positive drug test that stops them from even getting to the startline. No doubt Gripper will have her eyes on these guys from the start of the season.
I gotta say, I almost hope this happens. The whole thing stinks.

donrhummy said:
If this juggernaut doesn't win the TDF and at least 3 of the top 5 spots it'll be a big surprise. The only thing that would undo them is if the top three started riding against each other but I can't see a Bruyneel team doing that.

They've now got the current TDF winner, last year's third place guy and a guy who's placed 2nd in two of his last three TDF's. (And last year had a good chance to win if he hadn't been forced to drop back to help Vino and then forced to drop out for Vino)
I think Astana's future is closely linked to Bruyneel's mole(s) at the UCI. Are they still there? Can they still help him?

padawan said:
I gotta say, I almost hope this happens. The whole thing stinks.
Really? You haven't had enough positive drug tests destroying cycling? Personally I wish i could read about cycling for even 1 week without having to talk about doping. it sucks.

earth_dweller said:
I think Astana's future is closely linked to Bruyneel's mole(s) at the UCI. Are they still there? Can they still help him?
Was it the UCI or the Spanish WADA-accredited lab? Any word if everyone is moving to Gerona? Any word on who the team doctors are?

donrhummy said:

Astana will not necessarily dominate and win the lot. Remember T-Mobile a few years back? Packed full of GC leaders and potential leaders; Ullrich, Vino, Evans, Kloden, Salvodelli, Botero, Sevilla, etc. TM never pulled off the win in any of the grand tours during that time. Too many chiefs working for themselves and neutralizing the lot. The Hog will likely rule his stable better though.

Tech72 said:
Astana will not necessarily dominate and win the lot. Remember T-Mobile a few years back? Packed full of GC leaders and potential leaders; Ullrich, Vino, Evans, Kloden, Salvodelli, Botero, Sevilla, etc. TM never pulled off the win in any of the grand tours during that time. Too many chiefs working for themselves and neutralizing the lot. The Hog will likely rule his stable better though.
Yeah but that's because they ran into the Lance juggernaut. There is no Lance anymore.

donrhummy said:

I think the only thing that will hold them back is the negative perception that would attach to a Astana/JB-dominated Tour. So maybe they'll ensure that Contador wins, but not dope the other guys enough to take 2nd and 3rd.

Can you imagine Evans if Astana sweeps the podium?

serpico7 said:
I think the only thing that will hold them back is the negative perception that would attach to a Astana/JB-dominated Tour. So maybe they'll ensure that Contador wins, but not dope the other guys enough to take 2nd and 3rd.

Can you imagine Evans if Astana sweeps the podium?
What would he have to complain about? They have the reigning winner, the third place guy and a guy who's placed 2nd twice in three years. Every one of them is not just a potential top 3 guy but has been a top 3 guy. And Evans has not complained about Contador/Levi/Kloden being drug users, so what would be his reasoning for suddenly calling them that when they'd all be placing about where they've already placed?

donrhummy said:
What would he have to complain about? They have the reigning winner, the third place guy and a guy who's placed 2nd twice in three years. Every one of them is not just a potential top 3 guy but has been a top 3 guy. And Evans has not complained about Contador/Levi/Kloden being drug users, so what would be his reasoning for suddenly calling them that when they'd all be placing about where they've already placed?
Yeah, all good points. I imagine more complaints along the lines of this year's Tour. I.e., "it's two on one (Contador and Levi) . . . blah, blah, blah", except now it will be three on one. Plus Horner will be working for the competition.

As an aside, somehow Evans became a fan favorite vs. the likes of Ras and Contador. As if Evans is clean.

CdE will be back full for the 2008 Tour and hopefully a juice up Piti & co will take on a juiced up Contadope & co.

donrhummy said:

But they're not going to let three guys race 100% for GC. Levi was allowed to race for himself to a degree last year IMHO because the Hog payed him back for his magnanimous step-down as Team Leader mid-way through. IMO they're not going to let everyone fark themselves in the TT's or pace themselves in the mountains.

I can't see Astana compromising their leader's chance of winning by allowing three guys to do their own thing. Think USPS. Just my 2c.

"If Contador decides to take legal action in Spain or internationally myself and the UCI will give evidence in his favour and I will be a witness," McQuaid told the daily El Mundo on 14 March.

"I know Contador and the people around him and I know that he is a clean and honest rider," added McQuaid of the rider who has had to fend off questions regarding his alleged links to Spanish blood-doping probe Operation Puerto.

- what is he talking about ? People around Contador are clean.... is he talking about Bruyneel ?

whiteboytrash said:
"If Contador decides to take legal action in Spain or internationally myself and the UCI will give evidence in his favour and I will be a witness," McQuaid told the daily El Mundo on 14 March.

"I know Contador and the people around him and I know that he is a clean and honest rider," added McQuaid of the rider who has had to fend off questions regarding his alleged links to Spanish blood-doping probe Operation Puerto.

- what is he talking about ? People around Contador are clean.... is he talking about Bruyneel ?

I'd like to know how Pat arrives at the conclusion that Contador (or any other rider for that matter) is clean.

How can the UCI president suggest this?
Looks like we're back in to the "he never failed a UCI dope test scenario"

limerickman said:
I'd like to know how Pat arrives at the conclusion that Contador (or any other rider for that matter) is clean.

How can the UCI president suggest this?
Looks like we're back in to the "he never failed a UCI dope test scenario"
How does Pat know that a rider is clean? IMO it depends on what the cash stream from the said rider is. If adequate, the rider is clean; if not, the rider is dirty. ;) Others may object to this, but I have subscribed to the view that Pat is one who will sell his soul to the devil for money.