Astana would damage Contador's image?

kennf

Jan 29, 2004
Does anyone else find these comments laugh-out-loud funny? From CN:

"Contador has been reported to be ready to sign with the reformed Astana team for next year, but recent comments by his manager, Tony Rominger, cast some doubt. Rominger had implied that signing with the Kazakh team could damage Contador's image. Several Astana riders tested positive for doping in 2007; perhaps most notably, star rider Alexander Vinokourov, who tested positive for blood doping during the Tour de France."

kennf said:

"Contador has been reported to be ready to sign with the reformed Astana team for next year, but recent comments by his manager, Tony Rominger, cast some doubt. Rominger had implied that signing with the Kazakh team could damage Contador's image. Several Astana riders tested positive for doping in 2007; perhaps most notably, star rider Alexander Vinokourov, who tested positive for blood doping during the Tour de France."
Laugh out loud funny is right!!! What image???

Wait. Wasn't Vino a client of Romminger? Isn't the reason why Saiz went back to Fuentes because Tony was looking for a better program for Vino? (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. So much **** has happened this year that it is hard to remember all of the details) If I were Vino I would be really ****** at that comment and bring down the whole house of cards on Romminger.

I think Cantador has no choice in the matter. Bruyneel needs him to get a job. He needs Bruyneel to keep his mouth shut. Alberto, Tony and Johan will be on the Astana bus next year.

kennf said:

ROFL

You left out the entire quote......... Your portion of the quote leads readers the wrong way as to what the quote actually said........

In other new, O.J. Simpson is complaining that if he goes to prison then all the criminals there might damage his reputation. Contador, on the other hand, has nothing to fear. Bruyneel will use his patented "look 'em in the eyes" technique to prove no on on the team is doping.

yes, the most stupid thing I have heard all year.

Up there with "Bruyneel will manage to clean up Astana, he has never had a positive under his watch" :D

Sounds more to me like spin from Rominger after the Astana bigwigs told him and Contador to take a hike.

This is the rest of the story that should have been in th eoriginal post so not to mislead readers.......

Contador felt a need to reply to Rominger's statements and clarify his personal thoughts. "I do not agree with Rominger's opinion. I think it is clear that the new Astana will not be anything like the old one", the Spaniard said to MARCA.

The relationship between Astana and Rominger may be strained since it was Rominger who brought many of the riders to Astana for the 2007 season. Tensions between Marc Biver and management about Biver's role on the team going forward may also be hindering a final signing of Contador by Astana.

Erring on the side of caution lest an Astana deal fall through, Contador reported that he has other options, but that he would prefer to sign with Astana.

wolfix said:
"I do not agree with Rominger's opinion. I think it is clear that the new Astana will not be anything like the old one", the Spaniard said to MARCA.
Uh-huh. That is why they hired Bruyneel: To clean the team up. LOL.

Of course Cantador wants to go with Bruynnel. Otherwise he might find himself on a team where he has to find his own dope. To a rider who has never ridden on a team without a medical program that must be scary.

wolfix said:
This is the rest of the story that should have been in th eoriginal post so not to mislead readers.......

My post was a swipe at Rominger. How am I misleading?

Bro Deal said:
Uh-huh. That is why they hired Bruyneel: To clean the team up. LOL.

Of course Cantador wants to go with Bruynnel. Otherwise he might find himself on a team where he has to find his own dope. To a rider who has never ridden on a team without a medical program that must be scary.
haha thats funny, but you are of course correct!