Asthma

I have asthma and with any kind of exercise I take 2 puffs of my inhaler before I start (about 20 mins before) and then take it with me, it's also important not to push it too hard, take it easy and don't do too much too fast, if you feel you are getting breathless stop and recover.

Well I consider myself very lucky because I do not have asthma, but I do know several people who do and for the purposes of your question I would say that it really depends on the person. With the people that I know they are fine with cycling or most strenuous activities, and it seems to be the more short term, more intense workouts that they struggle with. I do know that some people have severe cases though, and at my work some of the children cannot go outside on certain days due to breathing issues. The best thing to do is just consult your physician.

Some pro cyclists have asthma, so I certainly wouldn't think people should avoid cycling because of it. Obviously each case is different and people know their own limitations, and I wouldn't judge if someone opted out of something for any reason, especially not if they're worried for their health. But I know that Simon Yates has asthma since he failed a drug test before an event (it was an administrative error as he was allowed to take the drug for his asthma) and it made people question whether asthma medications can be considered enhancing drugs as it was revealed that certain doses could technically enhance performance. Apparently athletes are more susceptible to asthma too but it can be managed with inhalers or tablets and not affect their careers.

I have a nephew who has asthma. And even if there were times that the asthma attack would be severe particularly at night, he was not prohibited from engaging in physical activities particularly playing basketball. The only precaution prescribed to him is the sweat on his shirt, don't let it stay wet for long because it can cause pneumonia which can surely aggravate the asthma.

Just take note that there are asthmatics who are easily agitated by dust and heat so that's what you have to look our for.

Asthma affects between five and 20% of the population, that percentage is even higher in professional population that perform intense aerobic workouts such as cycling and swimming. They keep their inhaler most of times.

I seem to think the reason athletes are more prone to asthma is because they fill their lungs more often and therefore trigger the underlying condition. So although they aren't at a higher risk of having asthma, they're at a higher risk of suffering it, if you see what I mean. A lot of people are probably walking around with asthma without even realising it, but if they were to begin training to compete in a sport, they might find out they had it all along,

People that think you can't ride with asthma are just as ignorant as all those dopes that think sugar causes diabetes. It's ridiculous.

Looks like the general consensus says you'll be good to go for a ride. I would just make sure that you take extra measures to make sure that you have your medicine just in case it gets out of control. As always, be safe and be prepared. I wouldn't necessary say that it's an "ignorant question", but a genuine concern. If you have any worries, maybe check with your doctor to see what they say. They may advise to start out slow and then pick up the pace as you get comfortable and adjusted to the extra strain.

Reactions: lisasian86
There is no connection between asthma and cycling. It is just an old concept. Sometimes, you make have an asthma attack while riding and that is why you should carry all the medical equipment with you. As everyone said, you always need to be prepared if you are suffering from Asthma. It's not that you should not ride if you got Asthma.

Asthma should not prevent anyone from cycling. All they have to do is use their inhaler and they'll be just fine. When I was still in school, quite a lot of kids had asthma but they would cycle to school, and even participated in various sports. They just had their inhalers with them at all times, and used them when necessary.

There are cyclists who have asthma and cycling is a good endurance booster for them it's a good cardio exercise. But persons with asthma should always be prepared with their inhaler and medication just to be sure.

There are classifications for asthma patients depending on your symptoms and how it affects your daily living, and some people living with asthma can bike with no problems at all. It depends from individual to individual but it's best to start slow just to know your limits and always bring your emergency meds every time.

Not every asthma patient is a candidate for cycling, but mostly can do it without any issue. First thing to do is talking about it with your physician, if he gives you green light, then use your inhaler as a prevention before start. Take your inhaler or emergency medication, every time you go out, doesn't matter if you have company with you or not. Practice some breathing exercises, that way you will improve your capacity on long term period. Avoid riding on very cold/rainy/windy weather without the proper clothes. Stop cycling if you feel discomfort, don't take asthma for granted.

I think it's okay to avoid it just to be safe. It really is up to the person on whether they'll consider riding despite their condition. I don't have asthma so I do regular rides daily.

They say that if you have asthma, instead of avoiding exercises, you should still engage yourself with activities such as cycling. Through this, your cardio and even your lungs can be strengthened. Actually the best way to reduce your suffering from asthma is to swim.

Any form of exercise, including cycling, can be incredibly beneficial for asthma sufferers.

That being said, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't take precautions. It's an unfortunate fact that while exercising, you definitely run at an increased risk of triggering your asthma. For this reason it's important to always have your inhaler with you.

Keeping that in mind, exercise can help generally reduce the symptoms of asthma. Aerobic exercises such as cycling help strengthen the lungs and improve oxygen intake even when you're not exercising, which is obviously beneficial for anyone, but exponentially so for asthma sufferers.

The rewards definitely outweigh the risks, so get out there and do some cycling (with your inhaler at hand, of course).

I think you should just bring your inhaler in case of asthma attack. You should not also push your self and need to take a rest once you feel tired, and also avoid the uphill roads, the level of oxygen changes depends on how high the road.