At least someone tried.

David Martin

Guest
I went swimming today. Or, to be more accurate, I went to the pool with
my 4yo and followed him around in the shallows. To get back on topic we
went by bike, partly becasue we could and I sorely need the exercise,
and partly because of the lack of car parking and the charges when you
do find some.

There are bike racks right next to the main entrance of the pool and
they were being used. The pool is about 10 yards of NCN1, what could be
easier?

Those who know the Olympia will be acquainted with the 60s/70s style of
placing high level pedestrian walkways and building entrances above
ground level. This means either a walk with bike up a spiral staircase
(about 30 feet) or finding the footbridge access ramp (No Cycling) and
then wheeling the bike through three swing doors to get to the
entrance.

So nice try, and they were being used. I nearly locked my bike to
nothing as they were the long wavy line sort and one has to put the
lock round an odd number of uprights or it can easily be slipped off.

Coming home was into the wind (looked like a good 5 on the Tay with
lots of white horses) and uphill.
Not as heavy as Friday riding back with the trailer containing a MIG
welder and crate of tools, but still quite wearing.

...d

David Martin wrote:

> The pool is about 10 yards of NCN1

I've heard of some stoopid Sustrans routes but 10yds of a swimming pool
must top them all. Was it the deep end or shallow end? ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

David Martin wrote:

> Coming home was into the wind (looked like a good 5 on the Tay with
> lots of white horses) and uphill.

After last week's attemtp to actually Do The Dundee Green Circular
failed when I was tempted to Carnoustie by the new (rather good, if
you can imagine such a thing) bike track past Barry Buddon firing
ranges, I had another go today. Just as well I had the map with
me, so that meant I only got lost twice when the signage failed me,
and from Monifieth back home was, I thought, about a 4 (this about
16:00 +/- a bit), and pretty hard going.

> Not as heavy as Friday riding back with the trailer containing a MIG
> welder and crate of tools, but still quite wearing.

The trip to B&Q for 75 Kg of sharp sand was okay, because aside
from the smidge of hill just past your house and to the top of
Blackness Road it's mainly downhill back to my place. I felt high
speeds were not entirely prudent with the extra weight though!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
>
> > Coming home was into the wind (looked like a good 5 on the Tay with
> > lots of white horses) and uphill.

> After last week's attemtp to actually Do The Dundee Green Circular
> failed when I was tempted to Carnoustie by the new (rather good, if
> you can imagine such a thing) bike track past Barry Buddon firing
> ranges, I had another go today. Just as well I had the map with
> me, so that meant I only got lost twice when the signage failed me,
> and from Monifieth back home was, I thought, about a 4 (this about
> 16:00 +/- a bit), and pretty hard going.

Missed you by a few mins then.. We left Olympia at just before 5.
We had thought of going sailing but the winds were a bit strong for the
boat.

> > Not as heavy as Friday riding back with the trailer containing a MIG
> > welder and crate of tools, but still quite wearing.

> The trip to B&Q for 75 Kg of sharp sand was okay, because aside
> from the smidge of hill just past your house and to the top of
> Blackness Road it's mainly downhill back to my place. I felt high
> speeds were not entirely prudent with the extra weight though!

Having navigated the comedy gates on the new cycle path (posts passim)
after a tortuous navigation of the docks (I'm not a terrorist, me), it
was quite a pull up Thompson Street to the Perth Road and again up
Blackness Avenue. Small twiddly gears all the way. I was pacing someone
walking up..

...d

David Martin wrote:

> Having navigated the comedy gates on the new cycle path (posts passim)
> after a tortuous navigation of the docks (I'm not a terrorist, me),

I noticed yesterday coming through the docks that although the ludicrous
"no cycling" section still remains at the east end, the section
immediately after that /has/ actually had its pair of chicane gates and
"CYCLISTS DISMOUNT" signs taken out, so 2 cheers for that and it gives
one a glimmer of hope for the chicanes on the new section of track.

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
>
> > Having navigated the comedy gates on the new cycle path (posts passim)
> > after a tortuous navigation of the docks (I'm not a terrorist, me),

> I noticed yesterday coming through the docks that although the ludicrous
> "no cycling" section still remains at the east end,

I couldn't fit the trailer down the 'walk along this bit section' so
just rode it on the road. Noone objected. Did the same on the way back.

> the section
> immediately after that /has/ actually had its pair of chicane gates and
> "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT" signs taken out, so 2 cheers for that and it gives
> one a glimmer of hope for the chicanes on the new section of track.

Did it have gates there? Why? The ones at the west end are bad enough.
Why do you need silly chicanes when there is a ten foot high remotely
operated steel gate across the path?

...d

David Martin wrote:

> I couldn't fit the trailer down the 'walk along this bit section' so
> just rode it on the road. Noone objected. Did the same on the way back.

I can't fit my levels of outrage down the "walk this bit section", so
every time I have ever used the docks track I've ridden down the road
beside it, and since helpful people have always seen fit to keep
sections of the chain link between the two absent it's never been a
problem to cut back to the track for the exit.

> Did it have gates there? Why?

This is a Sustrans path. You've /got/ to have pointless gates! ;-/

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
>
> > I couldn't fit the trailer down the 'walk along this bit section' so
> > just rode it on the road. Noone objected. Did the same on the way back.

> I can't fit my levels of outrage down the "walk this bit section", so
> every time I have ever used the docks track I've ridden down the road
> beside it, and since helpful people have always seen fit to keep
> sections of the chain link between the two absent it's never been a
> problem to cut back to the track for the exit.

The chins are easily avoided anyway. I missed the entrance to that bit
going east as it was blocked by rubbish (for fairly timid values of
blocked admittedly).

> > Did it have gates there? Why?

> This is a Sustrans path. You've /got/ to have pointless gates! ;-/

Almost as pointless as the 30m stretch of pavement one is supposed to
use at the west end with a chicane at each end - it is shorter and
easier to just ignore it.

Getting Worf through the gates was definitely interesting, resulting in
having to physically lift the trailer round in some cases. It would be
very hard to get a child trailer through there, especially if one had a
bad back.

...d

David Martin wrote:

> Almost as pointless as the 30m stretch of pavement one is supposed to
> use at the west end with a chicane at each end - it is shorter and
> easier to just ignore it.

Indeed. But moaning has presumably had some effect or the now-departed
chicanes would still be there. Each time I've been presented with a
chance to moan about them I did, and I doubt I was the only one, so
continuing to say "it would be much better if..." any time your opinion
is sought is probably worth it.

Pete.