At the gym

• Thread starter Marlene Blansha
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marlene Blansha

Now that it's winter, I go work out at the gym where they have treadmills, weights, etc, and
spinning classes. Of course ,nothing is the same as getting out on the bike, but we just have to
face it, it's winter. However, sometimes, being at the gym can really make you crazy. Spinning
classes are great, but the rest of the time, it can really make you long for the outdoors.

For example, some people reek! I have a really sensitive sense of smell, almost like a dog (although
I hope I'm not one LOL) and yikes! Some people come in drenched in cologne and perfume. Geez, do
they have to marinate in the stuff? Some women seem to favor really strong perfume and then get up
on the cross trainers and gusts just waft over to me... yeech! A dab here and there is enough! I'm
not one of those perfume sensitive people, but some just drown themselves in the stuff. ANd then
there are those who just smell. I remember one older man who wore those rubbery knee bandages, and
when he'd start exercising, they'd emanate this putrid, rubbery gag-inducing smell. They were all
old and fuzzy. Either wash them or get a new pair! Or smelly old sneakers. Get a new pair! And some
people come to the gym reeking of cigarettes. What do they do, puff on butts and then go work out?
of course, they could have been in a smoky car or something. I'm not a puritan about people smoking,
and the smell itself doesn't bother me as much as B.O., but it's not something you really want to
smell when you're running on the treadmill. It's almost like you're breathing in actual smoke.

And then there is the music. One of the nice young women who works at the gym as a receptionist
plays a particular radio station when she's there and it plays the absolute worst music- Celine
Dion, Rod Stewart, bad 80s hair metal, billy Joel, Whitney Houston, the Nelsons, you get the
picture. I don't have a walkman, so I just have to suffer. When I go into the stretching room I
close the door and get weird looks. At least you don't have to listen to celine dion when out
on a ride.

Spinning classes are at least better. Everyone there is a cyclist, you get to watch race videos, the
music is better and no one reeks! That's the thing about cyclists, they don't reek, even in spinning
class. It just smells like sweat, not BO or rubbery sneakers.

I know it sounds like I'm griping. Well ,I am! LOL. Actually it's a nice gym with great facilities.
But no pool, which is too bad because swimmers don't reek either, LOL.

Tue, 04 Feb 2003 19:25:14 GMT, <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Marlene
Blanshay) wrote:

>For example, some people reek!

I worked at a gym after-hours doing a renovation and it's not just the people who stink. Every
porous surface in the place is permeated with the odours. I'd get home and the smell would be
clinging to me. Just remembering it still turns my stomach.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>, Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:
>Now that it's winter, I go work out at the gym where they have treadmills, weights, etc, and
>spinning classes. Of course ,nothing is the same as getting out on the bike, but we just have to
>face it, it's winter. However, sometimes, being at the gym can really make you crazy. Spinning
>classes are great, but the rest of the time, it can really make you long for the outdoors.

So what's wrong with putting on an extra layer or two and giving the great outdoors a go?

--Bruce F.

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 19:25:14 GMT, [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote:

>Now that it's winter, I go work out at the gym where they have treadmills, weights, etc, and
>spinning classes. Of course ,nothing is the same as getting out on the bike, but we just have to
>face it, it's winter.

I *knew* there was a reason I needed the gloves most mornings recently
:)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

In article <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 19:25:14 GMT, [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote:
>
> >Now that it's winter, I go work out at the gym where they have treadmills, weights, etc, and
> >spinning classes. Of course ,nothing is the same as getting out on the bike, but we just have to
> >face it, it's winter.
>
> I *knew* there was a reason I needed the gloves most mornings recently
> :)
>
LOL, you mean it's not just for wiping your nose?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
(J. Bruce Fields) wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Now that it's winter, I go work out at the gym where they have treadmills, weights, etc, and
> >spinning classes. Of course ,nothing is the same as getting out on the bike, but we just have to
> >face it, it's winter. However, sometimes, being at the gym can really make you crazy. Spinning
> >classes are great, but the rest of the time, it can really make you long for the outdoors.
>
> So what's wrong with putting on an extra layer or two and giving the great outdoors a go?
>
> --Bruce F.

Nothing, but freezing rain can put a bit of a damper on things. I just meant that when you're at the
gym it can kind of make you long for FRESH air (taking into account the usual city air quality).

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> Tue, 04 Feb 2003 19:25:14 GMT, <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> (Marlene Blanshay) wrote:
>
> >For example, some people reek!
>
> I worked at a gym after-hours doing a renovation and it's not just the people who stink. Every
> porous surface in the place is permeated with the odours. I'd get home and the smell would be
> clinging to me. Just remembering it still turns my stomach.

Actually, I have to say that in our case, the gym actually doesn't smell- it's really well
maintained and spotlessly clean. The locker rooms alawys smell like soap and ammonia. In this case,
yep, it's the people who reek. But it's only a few of them. The gym has a large clientele of
cyclists and various pro athletes who train there and they don't tend to come in reeking of smelly
sneakers, BO, perfume, rancid rubbery bandaids or cigarette smoke.

In article <[email protected]>, Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
>(J. Bruce Fields) wrote:
>> So what's wrong with putting on an extra layer or two and giving the great outdoors a go?
>
>Nothing, but freezing rain can put a bit of a damper on things. I just meant that when you're at
>the gym it can kind of make you long for FRESH air (taking into account the usual city air
>quality).

Given the choice, I think I'd go for the freezing rain.--Bruce F.

[email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I have a really sensitive sense of smell

In the cool weather we're having now, my sinuses open right up when I'm out riding. In residential
areas, I can often recognize (I think) what people are cooking for dinner. It's kind of a fun game:
"I can name that aroma in ... /two/ whiffs" ;-)

cheers, Tom

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

> [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in message
>
> > I have a really sensitive sense of smell
>
> In the cool weather we're having now, my sinuses open right up when I'm out riding. In residential
> areas, I can often recognize (I think) what people are cooking for dinner. It's kind of a fun
> game: "I can name that aroma in ... /two/ whiffs" ;-)
>
>
> cheers, Tom

LOL, yeah, it's especially enticing when you're on your way home and you're really hungry and stuff
starts to smell really GOOD. One one of our routes we often pass by a pizza restaurant known for its
great pizza and it really smells fantastic. And there's another strip where there are several
restaurants all of which really smell enticing. Or you pass by houses where people are having
barbecues and you really start salivating from the smell.

Another reason to miss summer- barbecued steak, so rare you could be accused of cannibalism.

On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 01:43:12 GMT, [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) from WorldCom Canada Ltd.
News Reader Service wrote:

> Another reason to miss summer- barbecued steak, so rare you could be accused of cannibalism.

If you're a cow, I suggest riding a little farther and faster. :)

Sorry.

Easy setup line.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace an evil clock abruptly takes after an ancient
glass elephant...
8:16:28 PM 4 February 2003

J. Bruce Fields <[email protected]> wrote:
>Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:
>>(J. Bruce Fields) wrote:
>>> So what's wrong with putting on an extra layer or two and giving the great outdoors a go?
>>
>>Nothing, but freezing rain can put a bit of a damper on things. I just meant that when you're at
>>the gym it can kind of make you long for FRESH air (taking into account the usual city air
>>quality).
>
>Given the choice, I think I'd go for the freezing rain.--Bruce F.

I rode in freezing rain today. About a third of my 8 mile ride was on roads that had not been
salted/plowed/etc.

It's not a workout. You have to move *real* slow if you don't want to fall.... And you get wet.
Damp cold wet.

If you want a good workout when there is freezing rain, go to a gym.

--
--
LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
fried dog and fried cat?

"Pete Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:R%_%[email protected]...
>
> J. Bruce Fields <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>(J. Bruce Fields) wrote:
> >>> So what's wrong with putting on an extra layer or two and giving the great outdoors a go?
> >>
> >>Nothing, but freezing rain can put a bit of a damper on things. I just meant that when you're at
> >>the gym it can kind of make you long for FRESH air (taking into account the usual city air
> >>quality).
> >
> >Given the choice, I think I'd go for the freezing rain.--Bruce F.
>
> I rode in freezing rain today. About a third of my 8 mile ride was on roads that had not been
> salted/plowed/etc.
>
> It's not a workout. You have to move *real* slow if you don't want to fall.... And you get wet.
> Damp cold wet.
>
> If you want a good workout when there is freezing rain, go to a gym.
>
Cannot agree on that. Did 45 km ride on my way to work this morning. -8C and pitch dark at 0600 AM.
Took my Trek MTB on studded tyres out in the darkness, switched on my NightSun XC and off I went. 1h
40m later I arrived at work after a good workout. Don't miss the gym. Hjalmar

"Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Pete Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> If you want a good workout when there is freezing rain, go to a gym.
>>
>Cannot agree on that. Did 45 km ride on my way to work this morning. -8C and pitch dark at 0600 AM.
>Took my Trek MTB on studded tyres out in the darkness, switched on my NightSun XC and off I went.
>1h 40m later I arrived at work after a good workout. Don't miss the gym.

Hjalmar, I wouldn't be so quick to discount Pete Hickey (no relation, BTW) when he talks about
riding in the winter weather. His website is full of photos of him with his beard frozen solid and
riding in truly horrible conditions.

I agree with him on this one as well - riding in freezing rain is NOT a good way to get a workout.
Riding in nice dry -8C conditions is a piece of cake by comparison.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

[email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > > I have a really sensitive sense of smell
> >
> > In the cool weather we're having now, my sinuses open right up when I'm out riding. In
> > residential areas, I can often recognize (I think) what people are cooking for dinner. It's kind
> > of a fun game: "I can name that aroma in ... /two/ whiffs" ;-)
>
> LOL, yeah, it's especially enticing when you're on your way home and you're really hungry and
> stuff starts to smell really GOOD. One one of our routes we often pass by a pizza restaurant known
> for its great pizza and it really smells fantastic. And there's another strip where there are
> several restaurants all of which really smell enticing. Or you pass by houses where people are
> having barbecues and you really start salivating from the smell.

My standard ride into work has me go behind a series of pho restaurants. You can smell the aroma of
the broth being made in the morning. At the right time, too, you can smell the doughnuts being made
at the Wonder Bread factory at the top of the hill.

On the way home, it's the Chinese restaurants in Chinatown that get my juices flowing. The smell of
starch pouring out of the noodle factory is less appealing, especially in the summer heat.

Gustatorially yours,

Claire Petersky [email protected] no sig today

In article <[email protected]>, Kevan Smith
<[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 01:43:12 GMT, [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) from WorldCom Canada Ltd.
> News Reader Service wrote:
>
> > Another reason to miss summer- barbecued steak, so rare you could be accused of cannibalism.
>
> If you're a cow, I suggest riding a little farther and faster. :)
>
> Sorry.
>
> Easy setup line.
>

hahah... we actually get to see cows when we pass by farms on occasion, and there's one farm where
they had sheep and one little baby lamb, so I'd pass by to make sure he was still there and no one
had eaten him. No one ever did. That particular farm, I discovered, is part of a petting zoo. But I
would often say, "how do we know someone won't get the idea that he'd look great with peas and
carrots?" It was sort of a running joke, but to my knowledge, the little lamb was never eaten.

"Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
>
> Now that it's winter, I go work out at the gym where they have treadmills, weights, etc, and
> spinning classes. Of course ,nothing is the same as getting out on the bike, but we just have to
> face it, it's winter. However, sometimes, being at the gym can really make you crazy. Spinning
> classes are great, but the rest of the time, it can really make you long for the outdoors.
>
> For example, some people reek! I have a really sensitive sense of smell, almost like a dog
> (although I hope I'm not one LOL) and yikes! Some people come in drenched in cologne and perfume.
> Geez, do they have to marinate in the stuff? Some women seem to favor really strong perfume and
> then get up on the cross trainers and gusts just waft over to me... yeech! A dab here and there is
> enough! I'm not one of those perfume sensitive people, but some just drown themselves in the
> stuff. ANd then there are those who just smell. I remember one older man who wore those rubbery
> knee bandages, and when he'd start exercising, they'd emanate this putrid, rubbery gag-inducing
> smell. They were all old and fuzzy. Either wash them or get a new pair! Or smelly old sneakers.
> Get a new pair! And some people come to the gym reeking of cigarettes. What do they do, puff on
> butts and then go work out? of course, they could have been in a smoky car or something. I'm not a
> puritan about people smoking, and the smell itself doesn't bother me as much as B.O., but it's not
> something you really want to smell when you're running on the treadmill. It's almost like you're
> breathing in actual smoke.
>
> And then there is the music. One of the nice young women who works at the gym as a receptionist
> plays a particular radio station when she's there and it plays the absolute worst music- Celine
> Dion, Rod Stewart, bad 80s hair metal, billy Joel, Whitney Houston, the Nelsons, you get the
> picture. I don't have a walkman, so I just have to suffer. When I go into the stretching room I
> close the door and get weird looks. At least you don't have to listen to celine dion when out
> on a ride.
>
> Spinning classes are at least better. Everyone there is a cyclist, you get to watch race videos,
> the music is better and no one reeks! That's the thing about cyclists, they don't reek, even in
> spinning class. It just smells like sweat, not BO or rubbery sneakers.
>
> I know it sounds like I'm griping. Well ,I am! LOL. Actually it's a nice gym with great
> facilities. But no pool, which is too bad because swimmers don't reek either, LOL.
>
I ride all winter and love it. I'm fortunate to live in a place where there are plenty of dry winter
days and the temps usually stay in the 40s or better this time of year. It's group riding in the
*summer* when I notice people smells. I wouldn't tell another cyclist that he stinks, but there are
individuals who I avoid riding behind. :)

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Claire
Petersky) wrote:

> [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in message

> > LOL, yeah, it's especially enticing when you're on your way home and you're really hungry and
> > stuff starts to smell really GOOD. One one of our routes we often pass by a pizza restaurant
> > known for its great pizza and it really smells fantastic. And there's another strip where there
> > are several restaurants all of which really smell enticing. Or you pass by houses where people
> > are having barbecues and you really start salivating from the smell.
>
> My standard ride into work has me go behind a series of pho restaurants. You can smell the aroma
> of the broth being made in the morning. At the right time, too, you can smell the doughnuts being
> made at the Wonder Bread factory at the top of the hill.
>
> On the way home, it's the Chinese restaurants in Chinatown that get my juices flowing. The smell
> of starch pouring out of the noodle factory is less appealing, especially in the summer heat.
>
> Gustatorially yours,
>
> Claire Petersky [email protected] no sig today

Yes, there are some odors that are not that great, like the malting factory, which you won't smell
until you're right near it. But if the wind is from the east or an easterly direction it wafts in
your face!

There is a bakery somewhere along the route I take on the way home and it really smells great. There
is also a distillery somewhere in that area and it smells like whiskey for a while there, and a
recycling plant that emits an odor akin to paper marinating in vinegar. Then of course, there is the
lovely aroma of the canal- think of the east river. There's also a fast food restaurant that smells
like ten year old grease, and then there is the canal- think of the east river folks. Pheeyew!

"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Pete Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> If you want a good workout when there is freezing rain, go to a gym.
> >>
> >Cannot agree on that. Did 45 km ride on my way to work this morning. -8C
and
> >pitch dark at 0600 AM. Took my Trek MTB on studded tyres out in the darkness, switched on my
> >NightSun XC and off I went. 1h 40m later I
arrived
> >at work after a good workout. Don't miss the gym.
>
> Hjalmar, I wouldn't be so quick to discount Pete Hickey (no relation, BTW) when he talks about
> riding in the winter weather. His website is full of photos of him with his beard frozen solid and
> riding in truly horrible conditions.
>
> I agree with him on this one as well - riding in freezing rain is NOT a good way to get a workout.
> Riding in nice dry -8C conditions is a piece of cake by comparison.
>
Sorry, it was not my intention to do that. It looks as if Pete is quite customed to winter riding.
Had a look at his web site. The picture of him after one hour riding in -30C looked quite
impressive. It does'nt get that cold here. On rear occations it gets below -20C, but normally
between - -10C . I don't like it when it gets below -10C but the worst condition is deep wet snow
which turns the cassette into a snowball so that the chain can't get a grip of it. Hjalmar

In article <[email protected]>, Hjalmar Duklæt <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>"Pete Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:R%_%[email protected]...
>>
>> J. Bruce Fields <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >>(J. Bruce Fields) wrote:
>> >>> So what's wrong with putting on an extra layer or two and giving the great outdoors a go?
>> >>
>> >>Nothing, but freezing rain can put a bit of a damper on things. I just

>> >Given the choice, I think I'd go for the freezing rain.--Bruce F.

>> I rode in freezing rain today. About a third of my 8 mile ride

>> It's not a workout. You have to move *real* slow if you don't want to fall.... And you get wet.
>> Damp cold

>Cannot agree on that. Did 45 km ride on my way to work this morning. -8C and pitch dark at 0600 AM.
>Took my Trek MTB on studded tyres out in the darkness, switched on my NightSun XC and off I went.
>1h 40m later I arrived at work after a good workout. Don't miss the gym.

In freezing rain conditions? Sure, no problem in normal winter conditions. ou can get a good
workout, but freezing rain, even with studs, requires careful riding.

-Pete
--
--
LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
fried dog and fried cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.