At what age did you get your first touring/road bicycle

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Viscount_1977, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Viscount_1977

Viscount_1977 New Member

I was just wondering when the first age of when you got a touring/road bicycle. everyone around where I live (Marion,Iowa) most kids (5-20 ish) have some form of bmx or mountain bicycle then when you get about the age of 21 or so there are some that i see have a touring bicycle or a hybrid and it seems weird that i had aquired a touring bicycle at the age of 16 and loved it ever since well after i fixed it up. so tell me when did you get your first touring/road bicycle?

Tags:

2. Eden

Eden New Member

I was touring on a 10 speed at around the age of 11 or 12 - it was with my mom, mostly shorter 30 mileish days, but for up to 4 or 5 days at a time - fully loaded touring. I'm small and always have been so at that age the only bike selection I had was a girls step through style frame. I stopped growing around 14 and got my first real road bike then. I used to go out and ride 75-80 mile days by myself during the summer when I was off in high school.

3. normanwells

normanwells New Member

I was 21. I was fat as I had stopped smoking at 19 (I was a regular smoker since 12!!!). I did 4500 km during my first season (last year) and I'm on my way to 7500 this year (I'm 22). Road biking has been absolutely amazing for me, I cannot stand gyms and their thugs, so biking is perfect for me. I've improved a whole lot since I started, last year. I now ride with a club at an average pace of 34-35 km/h for 100 to 150 km rides. I'd like to try amateur competition in a couple years.

4. Skittlebrau

Skittlebrau New Member

I think I was about 13-14. A Huffy 10 speed. It replaced my old single speed banana seat cruiser (it was cool in the 70s and it's cool again now:cool: ). Used it to get around, when it was still safe to ride your bike everywhere. Definitely extended my range as a kid by a few miles.

5. dmstone1

dmstone1 New Member

I was 18, (last summer) I got a trek 1000. Now im 19, and I and getting a cervelo p2c in a few days!

6. davidhowland14

davidhowland14 New Member

I bought a Trek 1500 last sunday. Until then, I had been riding a borrowed DeVinci Silverstone. I'm 16.

7. janiejones

janiejones New Member

15. A steel frame that was massivley too big for me - but I loved it.

8. Frigo's Luggage

Frigo's Luggage New Member

I got a lime green Schwinn varsity for Christmas when I was 8 or 9. I absolutely hated it and convinced my parents to buy me a Schwinn Scramber 36/36 a few years later. When I think about riding bikes during my childhood, I think about the 36/36. Great bike. I didn't get another road bike for 20 years. It was a Raleigh R600. The Raleigh has spent the last 6 years on my indoor trainer finally retiring about a month ago from all of the corosion.

9. meb

meb New Member

In my day Schwinn had campus green. My first road bike was a 12th birthday present and was a campus green Varsity with fenders. I loved it. This was long before the days of bmx or mountain bike.

10. Fishhawk

Fishhawk New Member

My folks bought me a yellow Kabuki in the 70's (I think I was 14 at the time and it cost $110) when everyone else was riding $85 Sears and Montgomery Wards ten speeds. I really thought I had it going on. Only had the bike a year when it was stolen. Replaced it with a Motobacane, and it pailed in comparison.
    Now I'm riding a Trek Madone, and even though I love it I still miss the old Kabuki.

11. Calantha

Calantha New Member

I just bought my first road bike and I'm 23!

12. Edudbor

Edudbor New Member

I bought my first road bike....Today! I'm 24 (man, the years just flyby. How'd I get so old?)

First bike I've ever purchased!

13. Fishhawk

Fishhawk New Member

24???? Are you kidding? Take it easy, your practically right out of diapers.

14. ??? 3/4 ? 1/4

??? 3/4 ? 1/4 Banned

I had a "grocery store" ten speed when I was about 10. I bought my first racing bike at the age of 17. Still have the frame, with updated components and wheels.

15. jcthomasjr

jcthomasjr New Member

Somewhere between 9 and 11 I got a 10 speed and then another 10 speed when I was around 15.

But, I bought my first "racing" bicycle when I was around 22. I had gone for one semester of college following high school, dropped out, worked for a couple of years and went to night school. When I decided to go to a university I applied for a credit card and a classmate raced occasionally so I bought a low-end racing bike and put it on the credit card. Been doing thousands of miles every year since and I am 40 now.

jt

16. kaikane

kaikane New Member

If my Schwinn Continental (bright yellow) counts: 14.
    If not, my black Surly Pacer, bought it for my self last Christmas: I'm 47.

17. l2a3m

l2a3m New Member

I am 26, and I just got my first road bike (Trek 1600) two days ago.

18. Frigo's Luggage

Frigo's Luggage New Member

My sister had a campus green Varsity.

19. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Got my first road bike, Specialized Allez triple, last year at the tender age of 40 years young. Hadn't been on a bike in probably 10 years (had a hybrid that I rode occasionally) but I had a co-worker who had a road bike and got me into this insanity, err I mean sport.

Promptly jumped into my first crit 2 weeks later and three laps into the crit I was shot out the back. That was the best thing that could have ever happened to my racing career as I had no respect for cyclists before that humbling day...Took me 6 more crits before I could finish with the pack.

I now have a total of 5(!) bikes - 3 road bikes (1 for crits, 1 for road races, and 1 for training), a TT bike, and a track bike; I guess I'm a little obsessed...:D

20. l2a3m

l2a3m New Member

The specialized allez triple is one of the couple bikes that I test rode, i like that bike too. But I ended up getting the Trek 1600.