At what point should I create a real training plan?

morganb

Oct 12, 2012
I got a bike in May with the intention of racing next year and have been building fitness by riding lots, about 200 miles a week, but I haven't yet gone out and done intervals or anything of the sort. I do hill repeats twice a week and mix up my riding but I have never put together a plan for what type of ride I am going to do each day. Would I benefit from a plan at this stage or should I just keep building a base with as much mileage as possible?

ok, you came to us with perfect timming, the winter season approaches and it is the beggining of the 2013 racing seasons preliminaries. so the quick answer is yes ! you have a very respectable weekly mileage and you do include hard training like hill repeats, so continue to ride and to train for the rest of october and then take a couple of weeks off for resting and preparing your mind for what lies ahead. At your age motivation is high and also you have already mature, i say this because there are mileage and intensity restrictions for junior cyclists who are under 18. So you can work hard next year, but bear in mind that the cyclists you weill compete against might have more cycling seasons than you do so this first year of racing will still be a build up for years to come when you can start winning races and all. Strength from one year build up and passes into the next and so on. Quick plan, so you get the big picture: 1) 3 months winter training, ride less mileage and intensity, using a trainer at home when weather is too bad, typically pick up the bike 3 to 4 days a week, and compensate with strengh training at the gym, other sports like swimming or maybe jogging, every four weeks or so make for an active recovery week (where you keep active doing like easy spins on the bike, easing out the gym, etc) 2) 3 months pre season training, cycling only (although you can maintain some of the gym-weight training for the upper body for the complete season), here is when you increase mileage again and start again your hill intervals, twice a week is ok, on the weekends look if you can join group rides with people who are better than you, is easier to work hard that way, you are forced to follow them and you become better by doing that. Again every four weeks or so make for an active recovery week (where you keep active doing like easy spins on the bike, and less mileage) 3) racing season, please mark your races over the calendar so your training calendar matches the start of the season, you should be in shape from april till october typically good luck for all the work and challenges you are set to face in competitive cycling !

read the 'Its killing me thread' for some quality ideas for how to spend the new few months. Hitting the gym and cross training in other sports probably isnt on that list...

Bigpikle said:
read the 'Its killing me thread' for some quality ideas for how to spend the new few months. Hitting the gym and cross training in other sports probably isnt on that list...  
i know what you mean but all the super scientifc modern training methods wont make sense without a proper off season, for a regular person. Pro's go to sunny weather and do mostly cycling in heavy aerobic volumes, but competitive cycling is not forever so i would prefer to recommend a sport-for-life approach to training, while still being very competitive and giving a shot to both a cycling career and a long healthy life, i would also say that those LT 4-5-6 intervals and power determinated zones belong really into the pre-season block of training anyway, so you won't benefit from them if you don't work your cardiovascular capacity gradually during the first months of training, the LT 2-3-(4 eventually), i might get a power meter myself, to learn all the new stuff well,

Thanks for all the advice so far. I was thinking about doing weight lifting this winter to strengthen my sprints as two of my roommates are serious lifters, one of which races downhill MTB. I'll probably ride into the winter if the weather stays nice and take a few weeks off for the worst part of winter, at least in terms of heavy riding. It can be hard to take rest days with how much I enjoy being on the bike but I understand its necessary to take a while off to recuperate at some point.

And I'll check out the 'its killing me' thread now.

Originally Posted by vspa .

i would also say that those LT 4-5-6 intervals and power determinated zones belong really into the pre-season block of training anyway, so you won't benefit from them if you don't work your cardiovascular capacity gradually during the first months of training, the LT 2-3-(4 eventually), i might get a power meter myself, to learn all the new stuff well,
I agree with the above. Except I think as long as one is generally fit, L4 can have a place year round. The danger of too much time above threshold is that it damages training efficacy two ways: Too much structured intensity too soon without a specific target can actually kill the will to train (some find this difficult to believe until they have actually experienced). And physiologically, the body needs time to recover after intensity and sub-optimal training can occur if intensity replaces volume too soon in the cycle. Aerobic training forges the size of the blade, anerobic training makes it sharp. Think about the size of the knife you want to bring to the fight.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

I agree with the above. Except I think as long as one is generally fit, L4 can have a place year round. The danger of too much time above threshold is that it damages training efficacy two ways: Too much structured intensity too soon without a specific target can actually kill the will to train (some find this difficult to believe until they have actually experienced). And physiologically, the body needs time to recover after intensity and sub-optimal training can occur if intensity replaces volume too soon in the cycle. Aerobic training forges the size of the blade, anerobic training makes it sharp. Think about the size of the knife you want to bring to the fight.
Well stated!

FWIW, count me as one who uses L4 year round and have for the past six years with good results.

-Dave

Originally Posted by morganb .

I got a bike in May with the intention of racing next year and have been building fitness by riding lots, about 200 miles a week, but I haven't yet gone out and done intervals or anything of the sort. I do hill repeats twice a week and mix up my riding but I have never put together a plan for what type of ride I am going to do each day. Would I benefit from a plan at this stage or should I just keep building a base with as much mileage as possible?
Any riding you do will cause improvement. No need for a "plan."

200 miles is about 10 hours. Young racers around here do that on a weekend.

Your best plan might be to find out where the racers ride. And ride with them.

----

Hills are nice. But unless someone else is doing the hills with me, I tend to lose interest.

some gym training for cyclists, (by Armstrong) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ocs_w8bs-w&feature=related