ATB accident - Information needed

bfra1

New Member
Nov 24, 2003
One of my riding friends had an accident and due to a knock to the head, he cannot remember anything about the incident. The accident happended heading out of Werribee towards Geelong. It was on the crest of the bridge over the freeway.

We would both like to know a bit more than just the end result (which is on the mend thanks to a Doctor driving by). He's not looking for blame, just to understand how he ended up on the road.

Cheers,
Brad

wasnt there (this time) but having done 4 ATB's
I have witnessed 3 spills on the bridge
on all anti-clockwise efforts. (ie 3 from 3)
Everyone of em involved a rider getting a little 'frisky'
and tangling with the witches hats/poles thingy-ma-jigs.

sound plausible?

Except this wasn't on the bridge (ie Westgate), I think it was on the ramp
over the Geelong Fwy that you follow to actually get on the freeway on the
South side of Werribee.

I saw the "aftermath" - ie when the person involved was being treated.
Sorry, no idea what caused it.

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

Craig said:
Except this wasn't on the bridge (ie Westgate), I think it was on the ramp
over the Geelong Fwy that you follow to actually get on the freeway on the
South side of Werribee.

I saw the "aftermath" - ie when the person involved was being treated.
Sorry, no idea what caused it.

You've got the right spot there Craig. I don't recall any hats or obstacles in the area, and it was just over the crest of the bridge, so speed or that hard right corner at the bottom were'nt factors either.

If it was a collision with someone or something isn't too bad, his main worry is whether he blacked out, and as he does a regular solo rides, he might need to take more precautions.

Craig wrote:
> Except this wasn't on the bridge (ie Westgate), I think it was on the ramp
> over the Geelong Fwy that you follow to actually get on the freeway on the
> South side of Werribee.
>
> I saw the "aftermath" - ie when the person involved was being treated.
> Sorry, no idea what caused it.

I saw the aftermath as well. It was just on the crest, after that
badly signed (none!) roundabout.

Crashes at the top of hills often happen because someone stands
up, thus their bike slips back 10-15cm and then the rider behind
panics, swerves and brings down the rider behind them who was
overlapping their wheel.

Bleve said:
Craig wrote:
> Except this wasn't on the bridge (ie Westgate), I think it was on the ramp
> over the Geelong Fwy that you follow to actually get on the freeway on the
> South side of Werribee.
>
> I saw the "aftermath" - ie when the person involved was being treated.
> Sorry, no idea what caused it.

I saw the aftermath as well. It was just on the crest, after that
badly signed (none!) roundabout.

Crashes at the top of hills often happen because someone stands
up, thus their bike slips back 10-15cm and then the rider behind
panics, swerves and brings down the rider behind them who was
overlapping their wheel.
saw the aftermatth too, nothing remarkable on that bridge, just heaps of riders heading South at the time.....

we can only speculate until some one comes forth who got away on a flyer and saw it happen....

from memory. it seems this year was a fairly incident free atb.....only saw two getting road rash patched and other than this one, it was the only serious disabling incident in our viewing.

rooman wrote:

> we can only speculate until some one comes forth who got away on a
> flyer and saw it happen....

Very true.

> from memory. it seems this year was a fairly incident free atb.....only
> saw two getting road rash patched and other than this one, it was the
> only serious disabling incident in our viewing.

That's my impression too.