ATB bike recommenations?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Wood, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. David Wood

    David Wood Guest

    I'm thinking of replacing my 10 year old Kastle ATB which had no rear suspension and very crude
    front. I'm told by bike shops not to bother with rear suspension unless its for off road. The other
    thing is disk brakes which I've heard are more trouble.

    I've seen Marin in my local shop and Saracen in Halfords. Any recommendations welcome. I'm not a
    racer type but love to do off road plus a bit of commuting.

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "David Wood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm thinking of replacing my 10 year old Kastle ATB which had no rear suspension and very crude
    > front. I'm told by bike shops not to bother
    with
    > rear suspension unless its for off road.

    Which I agree with.

    >The other thing is disk brakes which I've heard are more trouble.

    Cheap ones are probably not worth bothering with, expensive ones offer superior braking in arduous
    conditions which offsets any extra aggro. In arduous conditions rim brakes eat rims which also makes
    discs more viable. So weigh up if you plan to ride in arduous conditions, if not have v-brakes and
    spend your money in other areas.

    > I've seen Marin in my local shop and Saracen in Halfords. Any recommendations welcome.

    As a Marin owner I'd say the Marin but then again I'm ignorant of Saracens so my opinion is
    biased.:)

    Pete