ATB Death Investigation

coowoowoo

New Member
Apr 27, 2004
A colleague showed me a newspaper article from today's herald sun paper. They have lodged an article looking for anyone that can help in the investigation of the cyclist who died doing ATB. They are calling for any witnesses to contact crimestoppers.

I found it a bit intriguing as to why the further investigation and a newspaper article on this. I remembered that someone here knew of the deceased either directly or through someone else.

I am assuming that perhaps someone is trying to sue. Anyway, anyone wanting to wade into the investigation can do so. Just thought i would post it anyway.

coowoowoo said:
A colleague showed me a newspaper article from today's herald sun paper. They have lodged an article looking for anyone that can help in the investigation of the cyclist who died doing ATB. They are calling for any witnesses to contact crimestoppers.

Recent a.b thread here: Death following the ATB
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t370163.html

Also link + text to article: Witness appeal over bike death. October 29, 2006 12:24pm
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,20664660-5005961,00.html

POLICE are appealing for witnesses to a fatal cycling accident that occurred on the Princes Freeway, south-west of Melbourne, during the Around The Bay In A Day event held on 15 October. The accident involved two riders and happened about 1.3km from Point Wilson Road.

Police believe the first rider fell after he hit a block of wood on the road. A second rider then ran into the cyclist on the road and also fell off his bike.

The second rider, a 59-year-old Malvern East man, was taken to Melbourne's The Alfred hospital with injuries and later died, police said today. His death brings the Victorian road toll to 265, compared to 291 for the same period last year.

cfsmtb said:
[...]

I knew Tom from my previous life as a runner. I didn't see the piece in the sun but I was told about a similar one in the Age on Tuesday. My immediate though was that that either the Coroner or the TAC may be involved.

RoryW

Rory Williams said:
I knew Tom from my previous life as a runner. I didn't see the piece in the sun but I was told about a similar one in the Age on Tuesday. My immediate though was that that either the Coroner or the TAC may be involved.

RoryW
TAC won;t do anything unless a car is involved.... they insure cars, not roads...

Shabby wrote:
> Rory Williams Wrote:
> > I knew Tom from my previous life as a runner. I didn't see the piece in
> > the sun but I was told about a similar one in the Age on Tuesday. My
> > immediate though was that that either the Coroner or the TAC may be
> > involved.
> >
> > RoryW

> TAC won;t do anything unless a car is involved.... they insure cars,
> not roads...
>

> --
> Shabby

They insure moving cars, if a cyclist runs up the back of a parked car
no TAC.

In article <[email protected]>,
"PiledHigher" <[email protected]> wrote:

> They insure moving cars, if a cyclist runs up the back of a parked car
> no TAC.

And moving *parts* of cars -- if a cyclist runs into a door opened from
a parked car, TAC pays.

--
Shane Stanley

PiledHigher said:
Shabby wrote:
> Rory Williams Wrote:
> > I knew Tom from my previous life as a runner. I didn't see the piece in
> > the sun but I was told about a similar one in the Age on Tuesday. My
> > immediate though was that that either the Coroner or the TAC may be
> > involved.
> >
> > RoryW

> TAC won;t do anything unless a car is involved.... they insure cars,
> not roads...
>

> --
> Shabby

They insure moving cars, if a cyclist runs up the back of a parked car
no TAC.

Tell me about it :(

PiledHigher said:
They insure moving cars, if a cyclist runs up the back of a parked car
no TAC.
If you want to be picky, they insure cars "in the act of driving" which includes people getting out of cars and giving you a door prize.... but they're renowned for being a bunch of aunts even if you're in a car-car crash....