ATB New Cassette Question

N. D. Muscutt

Guest
I am upgrading all the components on my ATB to XT
components. I ordered a new 9-speed M-750 cassette. My
question is, do I have to put a new rear hub on the bike as
well made specially for the 9-speed or will the 9-speed
cassette work with my current hub (which has always had a
7-speed cassette on it)? Thanks.

- Noel

Originally posted by N. D. Muscutt
I am upgrading all the components on my ATB to XT
components. I ordered a new 9-speed M-750 cassette. My
question is, do I have to put a new rear hub on the bike as
well made specially for the 9-speed or will the 9-speed
cassette work with my current hub (which has always had a
7-speed cassette on it)? Thanks.

- Noel

You will need a new Cassette body that is 8/9 speed compatible.
http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
is an article that should help.
The 8/9 speed cassette body comes on a new 8/9 speed compatible hub, but if your existing wheel is in good shape, the cassette body swap may be quite practicle.

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:50:22 GMT, "N. D. Muscutt"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I am upgrading all the components on my ATB to XT
>components. I ordered a new 9-speed M-750 cassette. My
>question is, do I have to put a new rear hub on the bike as
>well made specially for the 9-speed or will the 9-speed
>cassette work with my current hub (which has always had a
>7-speed cassette on it)? Thanks.

Only 8 of the 9 cogs will fit on your 7 speed hub. That's a
fine setup if you don't mind only running 8 cogs. There's no
special technique required, just set the derailer limit
screws properly.
--
Rick Onanian