ATB New Cassette Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by N. D. Muscutt, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. I am upgrading all the components on my ATB to XT
    components. I ordered a new 9-speed M-750 cassette. My
    question is, do I have to put a new rear hub on the bike as
    well made specially for the 9-speed or will the 9-speed
    cassette work with my current hub (which has always had a
    7-speed cassette on it)? Thanks.

    - Noel

    Tags:

  2. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    You will need a new Cassette body that is 8/9 speed compatible.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
    is an article that should help.
    The 8/9 speed cassette body comes on a new 8/9 speed compatible hub, but if your existing wheel is in good shape, the cassette body swap may be quite practicle.

  3. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:50:22 GMT, "N. D. Muscutt"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I am upgrading all the components on my ATB to XT
    >components. I ordered a new 9-speed M-750 cassette. My
    >question is, do I have to put a new rear hub on the bike as
    >well made specially for the 9-speed or will the 9-speed
    >cassette work with my current hub (which has always had a
    >7-speed cassette on it)? Thanks.

    Only 8 of the 9 cogs will fit on your 7 speed hub. That's a
    fine setup if you don't mind only running 8 cogs. There's no
    special technique required, just set the derailer limit
    screws properly.
    --
    Rick Onanian