ATB pedal on Road Bike

Brian Hughes

------=_NextPart_000_0093_01C343F6.FABB4AA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

I use SPD type ATB shoes and pedals on my MTB and bent. I currently = have straps and toe clips on
my Cannondale road bike. I want to go = clipless on it too. Is there any reason (disadvantage) to
using ATB = pedals on the Cannondale road bike, rather than spend money on a new set = of road shoes
and clipless system? Unless there is a overwhelming = advantage, I really like the sunken cleats in
the ATB style of shoe = versus the tap dancing style (AKA road) shoe. Thanks.

Brian ------=_NextPart_000_0093_01C343F6.FABB4AA0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I use SPD type ATB shoes and pedals on my MTB = and=20 bent. I
currently have straps and toe clips on my Cannondale road=20 bike. I want to go clipless
on it too. Is there any reason=20 (disadvantage) to using ATB pedals on the Cannondale
road bike, rather = than=20 spend money on a new set of road shoes and clipless system?
Unless = there=20 is a overwhelming advantage, I really like the sunken cleats in the =
ATB=20 style of shoe versus the tap dancing style (AKA road) shoe. =20
Thanks.</FONT></DIV>
<DV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVI><FONT size=3D2>Brian</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0093_01C343F6.FABB4AA0--

"brian hughes" wrote

I use SPD type ATB shoes and pedals on my MTB and bent. I currently have straps and toe clips on my
Cannondale road bike. I want to go clipless on it too. Is there any reason (disadvantage) to using
ATB pedals on the Cannondale road bike, rather than spend money on a new set of road shoes and
clipless system? Unless there is a overwhelming advantage, I really like the sunken cleats in the
ATB style of shoe versus the tap dancing style (AKA road) shoe. Thanks.

Brian

Lots of cycletourists and commuters put ATB pedals on their road / touring bikes for just the reason
you describe. The only drawback I can see is that most ATB pedals are doublesided, making them a
touch heavier (and easier to get into) than a road pedal, and most ATB shoes have cleated soles
which make them heavier than a road shoe.
--
mark

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 01:39:01 GMT, "brian hughes" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I use SPD type ATB shoes and pedals on my MTB and bent. I currently =
have straps and toe clips on my Cannondale road bike. I want to go = clipless on it too. Is there
any reason (disadvantage) to using ATB = pedals on the Cannondale road bike, rather than spend money
on a new set = of road shoes and clipless system? Unless there is a overwhelming = advantage, I
really like the sunken cleats in the ATB style of shoe = versus the tap dancing style (AKA road)
shoe. Thanks.

>Brian

Sure, why not use SPD cleated shoes on a road bike? If you're not a = racer, it's the only kind of
pedal that makes sense. Another off-road component that goes well on a road bike are Crank Bros Egg
Beater pedals. Recommended!

LB

Good advise! Use mtb cleats and shoes--especially for your needs. Dump the rat traps pronto. Straps
and cages should be outlawed! I ride with Looks and I walk like a duck on ice! I certainly will
never sneak up on anybody. At the Grizzly Peak century 3 years ago (approx.), a rider slipped on
damp steps to an out house. The result was a broken ankle. Road cleats are good on the bike but
slippery as hell in Robert's Market (Woodside Ca.) with hard wood floors.

If you walk and ride, mtb shoes and hardware are best.

"waxxer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Good advise! Use mtb cleats and shoes--especially for your needs. Dump the rat traps pronto.
> Straps and cages should be outlawed!

Some of us aren't into getting the Ultimate in Pedal-Foot Connectedness. Just a little extra in
whatever shoes we happen to be wearing.

Nice to be able to spin rather than push on the way to church on Sundays.

-Luigi Look cleats and dress shoes: no.

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

> "waxxer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Good advise! Use mtb cleats and shoes--especially for your needs. Dump the rat traps pronto.
> > Straps and cages should be outlawed!
>
> Some of us aren't into getting the Ultimate in Pedal-Foot Connectedness. Just a little extra in
> whatever shoes we happen to be wearing.
>
> Nice to be able to spin rather than push on the way to church on Sundays.
>
> -Luigi Look cleats and dress shoes: no.

I just bought a pair of Mt Zefal toe cups. Now I can ride in my hiking boots if I want! Talk about
versatility. Bernie

In article <[email protected]>, brian hughes wrote:

> I use SPD type ATB shoes and pedals on my MTB and bent. I currently = have straps and toe clips on
> my Cannondale road bike. I want to go = clipless on it too. Is there any reason (disadvantage) to
> using ATB = pedals on the Cannondale road bike, rather than spend money on a new set = of road
> shoes and clipless system? Unless there is a overwhelming = advantage, I really like the sunken
> cleats in the ATB style of shoe = versus the tap dancing style (AKA road) shoe. Thanks.

I've done that on my road bike for several years now. The only disadvantage is that I can walk
normally when we stop at convenience stores while the rest of my group kind of hobbles around. You
should be fine.

In article <[email protected]>, "brian hughes"

>------=_NextPart_000_0093_01C343F6.FABB4AA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
>I use SPD type ATB shoes and pedals on my MTB and bent. I currently = have straps and toe clips on
>my Cannondale road bike. I want to go = clipless on it too. Is there any reason (disadvantage) to
>using ATB = pedals on the Cannondale road bike, rather than spend money on a new set = of road
>shoes and clipless system? Unless there is a overwhelming = advantage, I really like the sunken
>cleats in the ATB style of shoe = versus the tap dancing style (AKA road) shoe. Thanks.
>
>Brian

I have spd's on my hybrid and Look's on my road bike. I find it easier to get in and out of the
Look's and prefer them for the long rides

_ (_) Daniel Warren, RPh _______// Marion NY (________) Clinical Pharmacist \ /
[email protected]
| Rx |
/______\
(________)

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 01:39:01 GMT, "brian hughes" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I use SPD type ATB shoes and pedals on my MTB and bent. I currently
> have straps and toe clips on my Cannondale road bike. I want to go clipless on it too. Is there
> any reason (disadvantage) to using ATB pedals on the Cannondale road bike, rather than spend
> money on a new set of road shoes and clipless system? Unless there is a overwhelming advantage, I
> really like the sunken cleats in the ATB style of shoe versus the tap dancing style (AKA road)
> shoe. Thanks.
> >
> >Brian
>
> Sure, why not use SPD cleated shoes on a road bike? If you're not a racer, it's the only kind of
> pedal that makes sense. Another off-road component that goes well on a road bike are Crank Bros
> Egg Beater pedals. Recommended!
>
> LB

i heartily second your recommendation of egg beaters. i have them on my road bike and love them.
i've never run anything but SPD pedals on my road bike.

smokey

> brian hughes wrote:
>
> I use SPD type ATB shoes and pedals on my MTB and bent. I currently have straps and toe clips on
> my Cannondale road bike. I want to go clipless on it too. Is there any reason (disadvantage) to
> using ATB pedals on the Cannondale road bike, rather than spend money on a new set of road shoes
> and clipless system? Unless there is a overwhelming advantage, I really like the sunken cleats in
> the ATB style of shoe versus the tap dancing style (AKA road) shoe. Thanks.

I've been using MTB clipless pedals on my road bike for years. I've had Speedplay Magnums/Frogs, and
now use Shimano SPDs.

A lot of people will tell you there's no downside, but I do think there is some. MTB pedals mostly
have pretty small platforms. That's certainly true of the Shimanos and especially the Speedplays.
Pushing on that for mile after mile hour after hour can make your feet tired/painful, and make you
long for something wider and/or longer.

I'd go for Looks except for the walking factor. Is there another road pedal system out there that
won't make you slip and fall in tbe convenience store?

Dave

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:29:06 +0000, Dave Stallard wrote:

> A lot of people will tell you there's no downside, but I do think there is some. MTB pedals mostly
> have pretty small platforms. That's certainly true of the Shimanos and especially the Speedplays.
> Pushing on that for mile after mile hour after hour can make your feet tired/painful, and make you
> long for something wider and/or longer.

If your shoe has a stiff-enough sole, there is no way you can tell a small platform from a large
one. If it does not have a stiff-enough sole, even a large platform pedal will not suffice.

It's the shoe, not the pedal, that matters.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or _`\(,_ | that we are to
stand by the president right or wrong, is not (_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is
morally treasonable to the American public. --Theodore Roosevelt

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:29:06 -0400, Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:

>A lot of people will tell you there's no downside, but I do think there is some. MTB pedals mostly
>have pretty small platforms.

Ever see a Speedplay X series road pedal? <G>

With a good shoe, the sole is the platform.

Barry

"David L. Johnson" wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:29:06 +0000, Dave Stallard wrote:
>
> > A lot of people will tell you there's no downside, but I do think there is some. MTB pedals
> > mostly have pretty small platforms. That's certainly true of the Shimanos and especially the
> > Speedplays. Pushing on that for mile after mile hour after hour can make your feet
> > tired/painful, and make you long for something wider and/or longer.
>
> If your shoe has a stiff-enough sole, there is no way you can tell a small platform from a large
> one. If it does not have a stiff-enough sole, even a large platform pedal will not suffice.

Yes, but if your shoe has a stiff enough sole, you can't walk too easily. I'm just wondering if
there's a compromise point.

Dave

> __o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or _`\(,_ | that we are to
> stand by the president right or wrong, is not (_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is
> morally treasonable to the American public. --Theodore Roosevelt

PS Nice quote.

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:31:55 +0000, Dave Stallard wrote:

> Yes, but if your shoe has a stiff enough sole, you can't walk too easily. I'm just wondering if
> there's a compromise point.

The compromise is irrelevant since road pedals all prevent walking anyway. I have no trouble walking
with my Carnacs, whose sole is very stiff. But the guys I ride with who use road pedals always have
trouble walking.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster. --Greg LeMond _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |