ATB Pedals on a Road Bike

Bob

Guest
Hi,

Like many I own both a road bike and a mountain bike. I
decided to standardize on SPD pedals. My mountain bike came
with Ritchey Logic Pro ATB pedals which I love. I bought a
pair for my road bike but the pedals seem to be a tad large
in diameter and don't seem to want to thread into my road
crank arms (Campy). My road bike is 20 years old so maybe
the thread diameter has changed over the years or maybe ATB
pedals aren't meant for road crank arms and you have to buy
a road pedal in SPD.

Is there any way to make this pedal work with these cranks?
Would a bike shop be able to rethread my crank arm for
these pedals?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

> Like many I own both a road bike and a mountain bike. I
> decided to standardize on SPD pedals. My mountain bike
> came with Ritchey Logic Pro ATB pedals which I love. I
> bought a pair for my road bike but the pedals seem to be a
> tad large in diameter and don't seem to want to thread
> into my road crank arms (Campy). My road bike is 20 years
> old so maybe the thread diameter has changed over the
> years or maybe ATB pedals aren't meant for road crank arms
> and you have to buy a road pedal in SPD.

> Is there any way to make this pedal work with these
> cranks? Would a bike shop be able to rethread my crank arm
> for these pedals?

The thread should be the same. You might want to have a shop
chase the threads on your Campy cranks.

Art Harris

Bob wrote:
> Like many I own both a road bike and a mountain bike. I
> decided to standardize on SPD pedals. My mountain bike
> came with Ritchey Logic Pro ATB pedals which I love. I
> bought a pair for my road bike but the pedals seem to be a
> tad large in diameter and don't seem to want to thread
> into my road crank arms (Campy). My road bike is 20 years
> old so maybe the thread diameter has changed over the
> years or maybe ATB pedals aren't meant for road crank arms
> and you have to buy a road pedal in SPD.
>
> Is there any way to make this pedal work with these
> cranks? Would a bike shop be able to rethread my crank arm
> for these pedals?

Barring actual damage it's probably an issue of tolerance,
a crank on the smallish end of normal with a pedal near
the big end of the range. Yes, see if your LBS can clear
the crank thread with a tap and try again . Grease threads
of course.

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
April, 1971

Harris <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Like many I own both a road bike and a mountain bike. I
> > decided to standardize on SPD pedals. My mountain bike
> > came with Ritchey Logic Pro ATB pedals which I love. I
> > bought a pair for my road bike but the pedals seem to be
> > a tad large in diameter and don't seem to want to thread
> > into my road crank arms (Campy). My road bike is 20
> > years old so maybe the thread diameter has changed over
> > the years or maybe ATB pedals aren't meant for road
> > crank arms and you have to buy a road pedal in SPD.
>
> > Is there any way to make this pedal work with these
> > cranks? Would a bike shop be able to rethread my crank
> > arm for these pedals?
>
> The thread should be the same. You might want to have a
> shop chase the threads on your Campy cranks.
>
> Art Harris

Ditto. I've used ATB pedals on my road bikes almost as long
as Shimano SPD has been around. Strangely, the only cranks
that I can't thread the pedals into by hand is my Campys.
They'll still accept the pedals, only they have to be
wrenched in all the way.

OK, Campyphiles- do they use a slightly different thread
shape on their cranks? Or are they just built to a slightly
tighter standard?

Jeff

bob-<< I bought a pair for my road bike but the pedals seem
to be a tad large in diameter and don't seem to want to
thread into my road crank arms (Campy). >><BR><BR>

Have a competent LBS run a tap thru the crank pedal
holes...they are a bit tight for modern pedals but a quick
tap run thru will solve your problems.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

On 3 May 2004 20:52:48 -0700, [email protected] (Jeff Wills) may
have said:

>.... I've used ATB pedals on my road bikes almost as long
>as Shimano SPD has been around. Strangely, the only cranks
>that I can't thread the pedals into by hand is my Campys.
>They'll still accept the pedals, only they have to be
>wrenched in all the way.
>
>OK, Campyphiles- do they use a slightly different thread
>shape on their cranks? Or are they just built to a slightly
>tighter standard?

I think Campy routinely cuts the threads at the bottom of
the tolerance for diameter, perhaps in an effort to reduce
the amount of motion in the interface under hard pedalling.
I've dealt with very few Campy cranks, but they all were
like that, and after the second or third experience I
concluded that it had to be intentional...and perhaps they
knew what they were doing. I just thread carefully and use a
wrench all the way. Someone with a lot more Campy exposure
might be able to comment on whether those cranks have fewer
loose pedal problems.

Werehatrack wrote:
> I think Campy routinely cuts the threads at the bottom of
> the tolerance for diameter, perhaps in an effort to reduce
> the amount of motion in the interface under hard
> pedalling. I've dealt with very few Campy cranks, but they
> all were like that, and after the second or third
> experience I concluded that it had to be intentional...and
> perhaps they knew what they were doing. I just thread
> carefully and use a wrench all the way. Someone with a lot
> more Campy exposure might be able to comment on whether
> those cranks have fewer loose pedal problems.

You're generous. Or I'm cynical.

Every few years when we see a run of tight pedal
threads in Campagnolo cranks, I just assumed the
toolroom hadn't kept up.

When it's overly difficult we clear with a tap. Forcing a
tight thread in aluminum can gall- pushing loose material at
the interface between the parts - and marf the thing.