ATB shoes for big feet?

Bob Landry

Guest
I wear a 46 or 47 in metric, and a 12.5-13 in US measurements, with an
EE width. I've been looking for an ATB shoe that will handle clipless
pedals, and am just about ready to throw in the towel and just ride in
running shoes/sneakers.
Anyone know of a brand that makes shoes for Bigfoot?

Bob
Just another nice basic flake.
(and old fart in training)

International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

On Dec 7, 8:59 am, Bob Landry <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I wear a 46 or 47 in metric, and a 12.5-13 in US measurements, with an
> EE width. I've been looking for an ATB shoe that will handle clipless
> pedals, and am just about ready to throw in the towel and just ride in
> running shoes/sneakers.
> Anyone know of a brand that makes shoes for Bigfoot?
>
> Bob
> Just another nice basic flake.
> (and old fart in training)
>
> International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

I have a pair of specialized MTB shoes size 48. Very comfy. They take
SPD like cleats.
Sidi makes ordinary road shoes as well but there's a good chance your
local shop doesn't have those in stock.
You can order them online though but beware of the Sidi sizes they
differ in width, they have normal and extra wide I believe.

wrote:
> I wear a 46 or 47 in metric, and a 12.5-13 in US measurements, with an
> EE width. I've been looking for an ATB shoe that will handle clipless
> pedals, and am just about ready to throw in the towel and just ride in
> running shoes/sneakers.
> Anyone know of a brand that makes shoes for Bigfoot?
>
> Bob
> Just another nice basic flake.
> (and old fart in training)
>
> International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

Diadora makes some nice roomy MTB shoes way bigger than you need. I
have the MTB Geko and it is plenty wide (the Geko road isn't as wide).

Nashbar has bags of shoes in your size:

http://www.nashbar.com/sizesearch.cfm

Joseph

Sidi makes some of their shoes (MTB and Road) in a "Mega" line which is
extra wide. I've got them in a 51. They are pricey (normal Nashbar or
Performance is somewhere around $200 but if you're patient (maybe once a
year when the new lines come out), I've seen them on clearance in the $75
range. I think the MTB line is called Dominator.
Lyle the Yeti

news:[email protected]...

On Dec 7, 12:19 pm, "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sidi makes some of their shoes (MTB and Road) in a "Mega" line which is
> extra wide. I've got them in a 51. They are pricey (normal Nashbar or
> Performance is somewhere around $200 but if you're patient (maybe once a
> year when the new lines come out), I've seen them on clearance in the $75
> range. I think the MTB line is called Dominator.
> Lyle the Yeti

I've never tried Sidi. As I understand it, the Mega and regular use
the same last, but the Mega has more volume in the uppers, but isn't
wider. I may be mistaken.

You use 51 in Sidi, do you know what size Nike sneakers you use? What
is your more or less regular US size? I wear pretty much 15 in most
shoes, and I've been thinking about some Sidi in size 50, but I'm not
sure if 50 is right.

Joseph

On Dec 7, 12:42 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 12:19 pm, "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Sidi makes some of their shoes (MTB and Road) in a "Mega" line which is
> > extra wide. I've got them in a 51. They are pricey (normal Nashbar or
> > Performance is somewhere around $200 but if you're patient (maybe once a
> > year when the new lines come out), I've seen them on clearance in the $75
> > range. I think the MTB line is called Dominator.
> > Lyle the Yeti

> I've never tried Sidi. As I understand it, the Mega and regular use
> the same last, but the Mega has more volume in the uppers, but isn't
> wider. I may be mistaken.
>
> You use 51 in Sidi, do you know what size Nike sneakers you use? What
> is your more or less regular US size? I wear pretty much 15 in most
> shoes, and I've been thinking about some Sidi in size 50, but I'm not
> sure if 50 is right.
>
> Joseph

51 and 50 huh, how tall are you people ?

On Dec 7, 1:23 pm, webhead <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 12:42 pm, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Dec 7, 12:19 pm, "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Sidi makes some of their shoes (MTB and Road) in a "Mega" line which is
> > > extra wide. I've got them in a 51. They are pricey (normal Nashbar or
> > > Performance is somewhere around $200 but if you're patient (maybe once a
> > > year when the new lines come out), I've seen them on clearance in the $75
> > > range. I think the MTB line is called Dominator.
> > > Lyle the Yeti

> > I've never tried Sidi. As I understand it, the Mega and regular use
> > the same last, but the Mega has more volume in the uppers, but isn't
> > wider. I may be mistaken.

> > You use 51 in Sidi, do you know what size Nike sneakers you use? What
> > is your more or less regular US size? I wear pretty much 15 in most
> > shoes, and I've been thinking about some Sidi in size 50, but I'm not
> > sure if 50 is right.

> > Joseph

> 51 and 50 huh, how tall are you people ?

50 = 6'3" in my case.

Joseph

> 51 and 50 huh, how tall are you people ?

just over 6'3", my feet are bigger than they need to be

> I've never tried Sidi. As I understand it, the Mega and regular use
> the same last, but the Mega has more volume in the uppers, but isn't
> wider. I may be mistaken.
>
> You use 51 in Sidi, do you know what size Nike sneakers you use? What
> is your more or less regular US size? I wear pretty much 15 in most
> shoes, and I've been thinking about some Sidi in size 50, but I'm not
> sure if 50 is right.

I don't think I ever owned a pair of Nikes. I run in Brooks Beasts, size
15. I find in most shoes I'm a 14 or 15 depending on how they are sized. I
also have a pair of Sidi 50's but they seemed just a touch short for me- I
developed some toenail issues.

On Dec 7, 4:58 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 8:59 am, Bob Landry <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > I wear a 46 or 47 in metric, and a 12.5-13 in US measurements, with an
> > EE width. I've been looking for an ATB shoe that will handle clipless
> > pedals, and am just about ready to throw in the towel and just ride in
> > running shoes/sneakers.
> > Anyone know of a brand that makes shoes for Bigfoot?

> > Bob
> > Just another nice basic flake.
> > (and old fart in training)

> > International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

> Diadora makes some nice roomy MTB shoes way bigger than you need. I
> have the MTB Geko and it is plenty wide (the Geko road isn't as wide).
>
> Nashbar has bags of shoes in your size:
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/sizesearch.cfm

I got some of the cheap $35 Exustars on a whim, as I wanted something
walkable for the fixie, and can't complain. Size 46 and wide enough
that I need to wear a pretty thick sock to keep from slipping around.
Should fit ape-like feet fine.

webhead wrote:
> On Dec 7, 12:42 pm, "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Dec 7, 12:19 pm, "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Sidi makes some of their shoes (MTB and Road) in a "Mega" line which is
>>> extra wide. I've got them in a 51. They are pricey (normal Nashbar or
>>> Performance is somewhere around $200 but if you're patient (maybe once a
>>> year when the new lines come out), I've seen them on clearance in the $75
>>> range. I think the MTB line is called Dominator.
>>> Lyle the Yeti

>> I've never tried Sidi. As I understand it, the Mega and regular use
>> the same last, but the Mega has more volume in the uppers, but isn't
>> wider. I may be mistaken.
>>
>> You use 51 in Sidi, do you know what size Nike sneakers you use? What
>> is your more or less regular US size? I wear pretty much 15 in most
>> shoes, and I've been thinking about some Sidi in size 50, but I'm not
>> sure if 50 is right.
>>
>> Joseph

> 51 and 50 huh, how tall are you people ?

6'10", Sidi size 52 (small feet for my height), regular (MTB) for
summer, "Mega" (with thick insole & socks) for winter. Use same shoes on
& off road. Sidis are expensive, but worth it. Diadoras are good if
you're on a budget.

On Dec 7, 1:59 am, Bob Landry <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I wear a 46 or 47 in metric, and a 12.5-13 in US measurements, with an
> EE width. I've been looking for an ATB shoe that will handle clipless
> pedals, and am just about ready to throw in the towel and just ride in
> running shoes/sneakers.
> Anyone know of a brand that makes shoes for Bigfoot?
>
> Bob
> Just another nice basic flake.
> (and old fart in training)
>
> International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

I am wearing these http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=43&product_id=944315
..

Even though the size drop-down list does not say so, mine are size 47
(size 13 US). My street shoe size is 13.5 or 14. These shoes are very
comfortable, and I do significant walking as well as riding on my
commute. I found them at the new Performance Bike retail store in my
area.

They are only big enough for thin socks. I am thinking about a larger
pair of bike shoes, for winter wear with Smartwool socks.

J.

On Dec 7, 3:21 pm, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
> webhead wrote:
> > On Dec 7, 12:42 pm, "[email protected]"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I've never tried Sidi. As I understand it, the Mega and regular use
> >> the same last, but the Mega has more volume in the uppers, but isn't
> >> wider. I may be mistaken.

> >> You use 51 in Sidi, do you know what size Nike sneakers you use? What
> >> is your more or less regular US size? I wear pretty much 15 in most
> >> shoes, and I've been thinking about some Sidi in size 50, but I'm not
> >> sure if 50 is right.

> >> Joseph

> > 51 and 50 huh, how tall are you people ?

> 6'10", Sidi size 52 (small feet for my height), regular (MTB) for
> summer, "Mega" (with thick insole & socks) for winter. Use same shoes on
> & off road. Sidis are expensive, but worth it. Diadoras are good if
> you're on a budget.

Diadoras have a more flexible sole too, which either counts against
them of for them depending upon who you are. The road ones are much
smaller than the MTB ones.

Joseph

On Dec 7, 2:27 pm, "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I've never tried Sidi. As I understand it, the Mega and regular use
> > the same last, but the Mega has more volume in the uppers, but isn't
> > wider. I may be mistaken.

> > You use 51 in Sidi, do you know what size Nike sneakers you use? What
> > is your more or less regular US size? I wear pretty much 15 in most
> > shoes, and I've been thinking about some Sidi in size 50, but I'm not
> > sure if 50 is right.

> I don't think I ever owned a pair of Nikes. I run in Brooks Beasts, size
> 15. I find in most shoes I'm a 14 or 15 depending on how they are sized. I
> also have a pair of Sidi 50's but they seemed just a touch short for me- I
> developed some toenail issues.

I sound about the same, maybe a tad shorter. Feet are 305mm. What
about you?

Joseph

On Dec 7, 3:34 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2:27 pm, "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > I've never tried Sidi. As I understand it, the Mega and regular use
> > > the same last, but the Mega has more volume in the uppers, but isn't
> > > wider. I may be mistaken.

> > > You use 51 in Sidi, do you know what size Nike sneakers you use? What
> > > is your more or less regular US size? I wear pretty much 15 in most
> > > shoes, and I've been thinking about some Sidi in size 50, but I'm not
> > > sure if 50 is right.

> > I don't think I ever owned a pair of Nikes. I run in Brooks Beasts, size
> > 15. I find in most shoes I'm a 14 or 15 depending on how they are sized. I
> > also have a pair of Sidi 50's but they seemed just a touch short for me- I
> > developed some toenail issues.

> I sound about the same, maybe a tad shorter. Feet are 305mm. What
> about you?
>
> Joseph

I have a 47 and I'm 6'6" tall. I thought I had it bad when it comes to
choosing shoes. I guess you guys find suitable clothes easier though ;)

On Dec 7, 6:52 pm, webhead <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 3:34 pm, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I don't think I ever owned a pair of Nikes. I run in Brooks Beasts, size
> > > 15. I find in most shoes I'm a 14 or 15 depending on how they are sized. I
> > > also have a pair of Sidi 50's but they seemed just a touch short for me- I
> > > developed some toenail issues.

> > I sound about the same, maybe a tad shorter. Feet are 305mm. What
> > about you?

> > Joseph

> I have a 47 and I'm 6'6" tall. I thought I had it bad when it comes to
> choosing shoes. I guess you guys find suitable clothes easier though ;)

I've often consoled myself with that thought when I've been frustrated
trying to find shoes! One buys a lot more clothes than shoes!

Joseph

On Dec 7, 5:42 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 12:19 pm, "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Sidi makes some of their shoes (MTB and Road) in a "Mega" line which is
> > extra wide. I've got them in a 51. They are pricey (normal Nashbar or
> > Performance is somewhere around $200 but if you're patient (maybe once a
> > year when the new lines come out), I've seen them on clearance in the $75
> > range. I think the MTB line is called Dominator.
> > Lyle the Yeti

> I've never tried Sidi. As I understand it, the Mega and regular use
> the same last, but the Mega has more volume in the uppers, but isn't
> wider. I may be mistaken.
>
> You use 51 in Sidi, do you know what size Nike sneakers you use? What
> is your more or less regular US size? I wear pretty much 15 in most
> shoes, and I've been thinking about some Sidi in size 50, but I'm not
> sure if 50 is right.
>
> Joseph

If I am reading the following link correctly http://www.sidiusa.com/dom5.html
, it looks like the Sidi Dominator 5 comes in 'both Standard and Mega
widths'.

It seems like everyone says nice things about this shoe, so I just
bought a pair from Performance, with the 'ship to store' option. So if
the size is wrong, you don't pay for return shipping. I don't mind
paying more for quality products, and it looks like Sidi makes great
shoes.

J.

On Dec 6, 11:59 pm, Bob Landry <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I wear a 46 or 47 in metric, and a 12.5-13 in US measurements, with an
> EE width. I've been looking for an ATB shoe that will handle clipless
> pedals, and am just about ready to throw in the towel and just ride in
> running shoes/sneakers.
> Anyone know of a brand that makes shoes for Bigfoot?

I ride SixSixOne Attack shoes in 46, they're a nice shoe for not a lot
of money. Not sure about the extra width you have though, I have no
idea what width my feet are.

Regards,
Anthony

On Dec 7, 8:39 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 5:42 am, "[email protected]"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Dec 7, 12:19 pm, "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Sidi makes some of their shoes (MTB and Road) in a "Mega" line which is
> > > extra wide. I've got them in a 51. They are pricey (normal Nashbar or
> > > Performance is somewhere around $200 but if you're patient (maybe once a
> > > year when the new lines come out), I've seen them on clearance in the $75
> > > range. I think the MTB line is called Dominator.
> > > Lyle the Yeti

> > I've never tried Sidi. As I understand it, the Mega and regular use
> > the same last, but the Mega has more volume in the uppers, but isn't
> > wider. I may be mistaken.

> > You use 51 in Sidi, do you know what size Nike sneakers you use? What
> > is your more or less regular US size? I wear pretty much 15 in most
> > shoes, and I've been thinking about some Sidi in size 50, but I'm not
> > sure if 50 is right.

> > Joseph

> If I am reading the following link correctlyhttp://www.sidiusa.com/dom5.html
> , it looks like the Sidi Dominator 5 comes in 'both Standard and Mega
> widths'.
>
> It seems like everyone says nice things about this shoe, so I just
> bought a pair from Performance, with the 'ship to store' option. So if
> the size is wrong, you don't pay for return shipping. I don't mind
> paying more for quality products, and it looks like Sidi makes great
> shoes.
>
> J.

What has turned me off trying Sidi is the Mega width is I am told, not
mega width, but mega volume. If Sidi were available locally in my size
I'd try them of course, but I don't want to order something I'm pretty
sure is going to be wrong. I'd like a wide shoe where the sole is
wider, not just one with more leather on top.

Joseph