ATB tires road/offroad recommendation needed.

ie

Guest
Hey, just moved to an area with some paved "hike and bike"trails. They're
a little too curvy for the road bike or the tandem (too slow!) but thought
I'd dig my ATB out, get an overhaul (haven't been on it in 10 years) and use
that to get a quick early morning workout. There are a few spots on the
trail that are not complete or that lend themselves to some off-road
excursions ;-) and I can always use additional drag for a good workout so
knobbies are probably the best choice. I don't think I'll be riding much in
the rain and I can take it easy near the sprinkler heads on the road so I
shouldn't have to worry TOO much about losing it on wet pavement.

I'm guessing my Smokes are rotted (10 years in a Texas garage) so I need
some new tires. Obviously I don't need high performance here, the off road
probably won't be very gnarly. Any suggestions for an adequate opening
price point tire that won't wear too quickly?

ie
ride fast, take chances

ie wrote:
> Hey, just moved to an area with some paved "hike and bike"trails. They're
> a little too curvy for the road bike or the tandem (too
> slow!) but thought I'd dig my ATB out, get an overhaul (haven't been
> on it in 10 years) and use that to get a quick early morning workout.
> There are a few spots on the trail that are not complete or that lend
> themselves to some off-road excursions ;-) and I can always use
> additional drag for a good workout so knobbies are probably the best
> choice. I don't think I'll be riding much in the rain and I can take
> it easy near the sprinkler heads on the road so I shouldn't have to
> worry TOO much about losing it on wet pavement.
> I'm guessing my Smokes are rotted (10 years in a Texas garage) so I
> need some new tires. Obviously I don't need high performance here,
> the off road probably won't be very gnarly. Any suggestions for an
> adequate opening price point tire that won't wear too quickly?

sounds like :

Specialized Crossroads Tyre

Perfect for recreational riders who use moderate trails and commute during
the week the Crossroads EX tyre has a reliable dual purpose tread pattern
and rubber compound that gives good handling on both road and dirt. (Front
or Rear use)

$20 rrp

pk

ie wrote:
> Hey, just moved to an area with some paved "hike and bike"trails. They're
> a little too curvy for the road bike or the tandem (too
> slow!) but thought I'd dig my ATB out, get an overhaul (haven't been
> on it in 10 years) and use that to get a quick early morning workout.
> There are a few spots on the trail that are not complete or that lend
> themselves to some off-road excursions ;-) and I can always use
> additional drag for a good workout so knobbies are probably the best
> choice. I don't think I'll be riding much in the rain and I can take
> it easy near the sprinkler heads on the road so I shouldn't have to
> worry TOO much about losing it on wet pavement.
> I'm guessing my Smokes are rotted (10 years in a Texas garage) so I
> need some new tires. Obviously I don't need high performance here,
> the off road probably won't be very gnarly. Any suggestions for an
> adequate opening price point tire that won't wear too quickly?

Grab some Mythos XCs on sale for 12-14 bucks at Performance. Can't beat
'em...

"ie" wrote: (clip) Any suggestions for an adequate opening price point
tire that won't wear too quickly?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have no basis for comparison, but I am COMPLETELY sold on my Avocet Cross
tires. Their "inverted" tread design provides good traction, together with
a very smooth ride and low rolling resistance. I ride everywhere with these
and have never had a flat.

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:13:17 +0000, ie wrote:

> Hey, just moved to an area with some paved "hike and bike"trails. They're
> a little too curvy for the road bike or the tandem (too slow!) but thought
> I'd dig my ATB out, get an overhaul (haven't been on it in 10 years) and use
> that to get a quick early morning workout. There are a few spots on the
> trail that are not complete or that lend themselves to some off-road
> excursions ;-) and I can always use additional drag for a good workout so
> knobbies are probably the best choice. I don't think I'll be riding much in
> the rain and I can take it easy near the sprinkler heads on the road so I
> shouldn't have to worry TOO much about losing it on wet pavement.
>
> I'm guessing my Smokes are rotted (10 years in a Texas garage) so I need
> some new tires. Obviously I don't need high performance here, the off road
> probably won't be very gnarly. Any suggestions for an adequate opening
> price point tire that won't wear too quickly?

If the surface is hard packed dirt, there's no reason not to use regular
road slicks.

But if it's loose, soft, or muddy, you might want off-road
tires for better control. I use semi-slicks for most of my MTB riding,
on road or off. They're mostly slick in the middle, with knobs on the
sides for control on loose surfaces. I use the Bontrager ones, but other
companies make good ones too -- Michelin, Ritchey, Kenda, etc.

Matt O.

For winter and such terrain changes as you described I use cheap Matrix CDX
1.6. Narrow for road use and enough knobs to get you through the muck.

thanks y'all!