ATB WTF ?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Rman, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. Rman

    Rman Guest

    Anyone entered the 2003 ATB with the "Around the Bay Against the Clock" option with the
    timing chip ?

    It will turn the ATB into the biggest Hell Ride I have ever seen. I was with about 20 guys who
    finished "first" last year, and If you dangled the chance if being seeded #1 for the next year in
    front of them, well, the sprint would have been on and carnage.

    Why would BV want to do this ?

    Anyway, following below is an email I just sent to BV, if anyone cares:

    ----------------------------
    Re: Around the Bay Against the Clock

    I strongly oppose the "Around the Bay Against the Clock" concept. Are you wishing to turn the event
    into a giant 7000 strong race ? And seeding for the next year ? Are you kidding me ? Even
    introducing anything with a sniff of a race into a field of 7000, many of which have never raced
    before is ridiculous and very dangerous.

    How are you going to stop guys from turning it into a huge ego fuelled race ? Do you have any idea
    of the speeds that will now be reached ? Do you have any concept of the size of the bunch that will
    form and the resulting disregard of traffic signals that will happen ? Have you thought about the
    how people will now race to get to the ferry first ? Are you prepared for the huge bunch sprint that
    will certainly happen as those trying to pick up the #1 seeding for the next year finish ? Have you
    chosen a sufficient finish straight with enough width to allow 10 or so riders ? Will you have
    sufficient insurance to cover the carnage as 60 kmh speeds are reached and riders go down ? Is this
    what BV is about ? Do you want to introduce racing egos into what is a great social event ?

    This has to be one of the most poorly thought out concepts I have ever seen. I will not be entering
    the 2003 ATB with this concept in place. If this concept proceeds, I will not renew my BV
    membership.

    Who thought of this ? Who allowed this to be offered ? I am not a member of BV for racing. I am a
    member of Carnegie-Caulfield Cycling Club for this reason. I pay a racing license to race against
    like minded people in a controlled race environment, not a 7000 strong amateur free for all, in an
    uncontrolled environment

    I await your response

    Tags:

  2. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    I don't think that's going to be the case, as there's an ACF sanctioned race being rnu simultaneously. Also, ferry times wouldn't be included, so first across the line wouldn't necesarily be the fastest.

    Plus, there's enough people who will decline the $15 extra charge purely becasue it's not a race.

  3. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "Shabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I don't think that's going to be the case, as there's an ACF sanctioned race being rnu
    > simultaneously. Also, ferry times wouldn't be included, so first across the line wouldn't
    > necesarily be the fastest.
    >
    > Plus, there's enough people who will decline the $15 extra charge purely becasue it's not a race.

    When bikes+egos mix and there a place to be had, it will be on. No doubt about it. It was nearly on
    amongst the 20 of us last year until a few level heads pulled the bunch back. Perhaps I'm wrong, but
    who changes up to a
    53/11-13 with 1 km to go in a 200 km social ride. Add in a "seeding" and your off and racing. Let's
    just hope 100 people don't arrive at once looking for a high seeding. Sounds remarkably like a
    race to me.

    The ACF sanctioned race is also ridiculous, outside what BV stands for. Leave racing to the clubs
    who run it and know how to do it. If the ACF want a big relay race, around Port Phillip bay, call in
    support of the local racing clubs that are situated around the bay, and know how to run races. St
    Kilda, Carnegie, Chelsea+ Peninsula, Geelong, Footscray. I am sure they would appreciate a slice of
    any revenue, or is that what it is all about ?

    Sheesh, I am a member of BV, member of Audax and a Racing club. I like the distinct lines between
    them all, and each does their bits best. Why cross over ?

  4. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Couldn't agree more on the last part. I guess BV are trying to increase their membership by trying to get more ACF members signed up, rather than have social and competitive riders segregated.

    Amongst the people I know, getting seeded by BV is pretty low on the list. Winning races lets people know how good you are.

  5. My understanding of the timing concept is, that it allows you to race against not only yourself, but
    the greater field, WITHOUT having the traffic mayhem of treating ATBIAD as a road race... As for the
    pack sprint concept, I think that cyclists carrying timing chips will prevent this...

    I used to race out of Oakleigh years ago, when I was at school, with a bunch of other guys, and the
    most frustrating part about ATBIAD was that if you did want to treat the day as a race, you HAD to
    race in the field, as opposed to being able to race in this manner....

    This year, I'll be riding with my girlfriends brother, and we're both in it for the personal
    achievement factor, but will also be competing against each other, and some colleagues... If you are
    one of the "firsts" from last year, would you not rather have been able to start at 8, instead of 7,
    and still have come "first"

    Personally, I'm about to renew both my BV and Audax membership, but have no desire to go back to
    racing. 7 years ago, I was involved in a major accident involving other cyclists and a car, under
    controlled race conditions, so I personally disagree that controlled racing is better. In ATBIAD
    this year, I will be doing it to prove to myself that I can get back in the saddle for a double
    century...

    Get a pack of cards and deal with it... I don't think BV will care if you don't renew your
    membership, or enter ATBIAD...

    "RMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone entered the 2003 ATB with the "Around the Bay Against the Clock" option with the
    > timing chip ?
    >
    > It will turn the ATB into the biggest Hell Ride I have ever seen. I was with about 20 guys who
    > finished "first" last year, and If you dangled the chance if being seeded #1 for the next year in
    > front of them, well, the sprint would have been on and carnage.
    >
    > Why would BV want to do this ?
    >
    > Anyway, following below is an email I just sent to BV, if anyone cares:
    >
    > ----------------------------
    > Re: Around the Bay Against the Clock
    >

    > I strongly oppose the "Around the Bay Against the Clock" concept. Are you wishing to turn the
    > event into a giant 7000 strong race ? And seeding for the next year ? Are you kidding me ? Even
    > introducing anything with a sniff of a race into a field of 7000, many of which have never raced
    before
    > is ridiculous and very dangerous.
    >
    > How are you going to stop guys from turning it into a huge ego fuelled
    race
    > ? Do you have any idea of the speeds that will now be reached ? Do you have any concept of the
    > size of the bunch that will form and the resulting disregard of traffic signals that will happen ?
    > Have you thought about
    the
    > how people will now race to get to the ferry first ? Are you prepared for the huge bunch sprint
    > that will certainly happen as those trying to pick
    up
    > the #1 seeding for the next year finish ? Have you chosen a sufficient finish straight with enough
    > width to allow 10 or so riders ? Will you have sufficient insurance to cover the carnage as 60 kmh
    > speeds are reached and riders go down ? Is this what BV is about ? Do you want to introduce racing
    > egos into what is a great social event ?
    >

    > This has to be one of the most poorly thought out concepts I have ever
    seen.
    > I will not be entering the 2003 ATB with this concept in place. If this concept proceeds, I will
    > not renew my BV membership.
    >
    > Who thought of this ? Who allowed this to be offered ? I am not a
    member
    > of BV for racing. I am a member of Carnegie-Caulfield Cycling Club for
    this
    > reason. I pay a racing license to race against like minded people in a controlled race
    > environment, not a 7000 strong amateur free for all, in an uncontrolled environment
    >
    > I await your response

  6. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    >> Get a pack of cards and deal with it... I don't think BV will care if
    you
    > don't renew your membership, or enter ATBIAD...

    Well, your wrong. I have had a few very passionate emails from BV explaining the situation and
    asking if I would rethink my attitude.

    Dufus, you aint never gonna be up the front, so you'll never know what is going to happen.