atherosclerosis / iron

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doe, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Doe

    Doe Guest

    <<snip>> iron accumulates in human lesions <<snip>>

    Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004 Mar 4 [Epub ahead of
    print] Links

    Direct Detection and Quantification of Transition Metal Ions
    in Human Atherosclerotic Plaques: Evidence for the Presence
    of Elevated Levels of Iron and Copper.

    Stadler N, Lindner RA, Davies MJ.

    The Heart Research Institute, Sydney, Australia.

    OBJECTIVE: The involvement of transition metals in
    atherosclerosis is controversial. Some epidemiological
    studies have reported a relationship between iron (Fe) and
    cardiovascular disease, whereas others have not.
    Experimental studies have reported elevated levels of iron
    and copper (Cu) in diseased human arteries but have often
    used methods that release metal ions from proteins. METHODS
    AND RESULTS: In this study, we have used the minimally
    invasive technique of electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR)
    spectroscopy and inductively coupled plasma mass
    spectroscopy (ICPMS) to quantify iron and copper in ex vivo
    healthy human arteries and carotid lesions. The EPR spectra
    detected are characteristic of nonheme Fe(III) complexes.
    Statistically elevated levels of iron were detected in the
    intima of lesions compared with healthy controls (0.370
    versus 0.022 nmol/mg tissue for EPR, 0.525 versus 0.168
    nmol/mg tissue by ICPMS, P<0.05 in each cases). Elevated
    levels of copper were also detected (7.51 versus 2.01
    pmol/mg tissue, lesion versus healthy control, respectively,
    P<0.05). Iron levels did not correlate with the gender or
    age of the donor, or tissue protein or calcium levels, but
    cholesterol levels correlated positively with iron
    accumulation, as measured by EPR. CONCLUSIONS: These data
    support the hypothesis that iron accumulates in human
    lesions and may contribute to disease progression.

    PMID: 15001454 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

    --------------
    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
    PEOPLE WALKING

  2. markd

    markd Guest

    As in most of your posts involving iron, it must be noted
    that it would be very surprising if iron was not involved in
    many of the bodies processes. Iron is absolutely critical
    for proper and optimal health, in addition to it's well
    known role in transporting oxygen to cells in the blood,
    there are several other critical roles it plays. Here is
    one: " Antioxidant and beneficial pro-oxidant functions

    Catalase and peroxidases are heme-containing enzymes that
    protect cells against the accumulation of hydrogen
    peroxide, a potentially converts hydrogen peroxide to to
    water and oxygen. As part of the immune response, some
    white blood cells engulf bacteria and expose them to ROS
    in order to kill them. The synthesis of one such ROS,
    hypochlorous acid, by neutrophils is catalyzed by the heme-
    containing enzyme myeloperoxidase (3, 4)."

    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/iron/index.h-
    tml

    As time goes on, we will explore other roles iron plays in
    proper and optimal health. It is well and good that you
    bring the value of iron to our attention and we look forward
    to a joint effort in education in this regard.

  3. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: atherosclerosis / iron
    >From: [email protected]

    <<snip>> iron accumulates in human lesions <<snip>>

    Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004 Mar 4 [Epub ahead of
    print] Links

    Direct Detection and Quantification of Transition Metal Ions
    in Human Atherosclerotic Plaques: Evidence for the Presence
    of Elevated Levels of Iron and Copper.

    Stadler N, Lindner RA, Davies MJ.

    The Heart Research Institute, Sydney, Australia.

    OBJECTIVE: The involvement of transition metals in
    atherosclerosis is controversial. Some epidemiological
    studies have reported a relationship between iron (Fe) and
    cardiovascular disease, whereas others have not.
    Experimental studies have reported elevated levels of iron
    and copper (Cu) in diseased human arteries but have often
    used methods that release metal ions from proteins. METHODS
    AND RESULTS: In this study, we have used the minimally
    invasive technique of electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR)
    spectroscopy and inductively coupled plasma mass
    spectroscopy (ICPMS) to quantify iron and copper in ex vivo
    healthy human arteries and carotid lesions. The EPR spectra
    detected are characteristic of nonheme Fe(III) complexes.
    Statistically elevated levels of iron were detected in the
    intima of lesions compared with healthy controls (0.370
    versus 0.022 nmol/mg tissue for EPR, 0.525 versus 0.168
    nmol/mg tissue by ICPMS, P<0.05 in each cases). Elevated
    levels of copper were also detected (7.51 versus 2.01
    pmol/mg tissue, lesion versus healthy control, respectively,
    P<0.05). Iron levels did not correlate with the gender or
    age of the donor, or tissue protein or calcium levels, but
    cholesterol levels correlated positively with iron
    accumulation, as measured by EPR. CONCLUSIONS: These data
    support the hypothesis that iron accumulates in human
    lesions and may contribute to disease progression.

    PMID: 15001454 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

    --------------
    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
    PEOPLE WALKING

  4. markd

    markd Guest

    Tom, if you are going to be both fair and honest, all sides
    and functions about the roles of iron in normal health and
    disease prevention need be discusssed. As posted, iron in
    some of it's functions acts as an antioxident and disease
    prevention tool to kill germs.

  5. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: atherosclerosis / iron
    >From: [email protected]
    >Date: 3/9/2004 10:48 AM Mountain Standard Time
    >
    >Tom, if you are going to be both fair and honest, all sides
    >and functions about the roles of iron in normal health and
    >disease prevention need be discusssed. As posted, iron in
    >some of it's functions acts as an antioxident and disease
    >prevention tool to kill germs.

    Go do it then .. somewhere .. else ..

[...]

  6. markd

    markd Guest

    "Go do it then .. somewhere .. else .."

    Tom, is the above to say this is your personal ng and that
    research to the contrary of your theory is not welcome? Or,
    does it mean you are not, as in the original, interested in
    being fair or honest in the presentation of information?

  7. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: atherosclerosis / iron
    >From: [email protected]
    >Date: 3/10/2004 7:50 AM Mountain Standard Time
    >
    >"Go do it then .. somewhere .. else .."
    >
    >Tom, is the above to say this is your personal ng and that
    >research to the contrary of your theory is not welcome? Or,
    >does it mean you are not, as in the original, interested in
    >being fair or honest in the presentation of information?

    It means .. start your own stupid thread ..

    You can't even spell antioxidant and expect to be able to
    speak TO .. antioxidants .. ?

    You .. are .. a .. fkg .. idiot ..

[...]

  8. markd

    markd Guest

    Tom, is the above to say this is your personal ng and that
    research to the contrary of your theory is not welcome? Or,
    does it mean you are not, as in the original, interested in
    being fair or honest in the presentation of information?

    Fkg, is your spell check on the blink, this isn't in
    my dictionary, or you being just a wee bit naughty on
    us here Tom?

  9. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: atherosclerosis / iron
    >From: [email protected]
    >Date: 3/11/2004 7:42 AM Mountain Standard Time
    >
    >Tom, is the above to say this is your personal ng and that
    >research to the contrary of your theory is not welcome? Or,
    >does it mean you are not, as in the original, interested in
    >being fair or honest in the presentation of information?
    >
    >Fkg, is your spell check on the blink, this isn't in my
    >dictionary, or you being just a wee bit naughty on us
    >here Tom?

    It means .. start your own stupid thread ..

    You can't even spell antioxidant and expect to be able to
    speak TO .. antioxidants .. ?

    You .. are .. a .. fkg .. idiot ..

    <<snip>> iron accumulates in human lesions <<snip>>

    Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004 Mar 4 [Epub ahead of
    print] Links

    Direct Detection and Quantification of Transition Metal Ions
    in Human Atherosclerotic Plaques: Evidence for the Presence
    of Elevated Levels of Iron and Copper.

    Stadler N, Lindner RA, Davies MJ.

    The Heart Research Institute, Sydney, Australia.

    OBJECTIVE: The involvement of transition metals in
    atherosclerosis is controversial. Some epidemiological
    studies have reported a relationship between iron (Fe) and
    cardiovascular disease, whereas others have not.
    Experimental studies have reported elevated levels of iron
    and copper (Cu) in diseased human arteries but have often
    used methods that release metal ions from proteins. METHODS
    AND RESULTS: In this study, we have used the minimally
    invasive technique of electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR)
    spectroscopy and inductively coupled plasma mass
    spectroscopy (ICPMS) to quantify iron and copper in ex vivo
    healthy human arteries and carotid lesions. The EPR spectra
    detected are characteristic of nonheme Fe(III) complexes.
    Statistically elevated levels of iron were detected in the
    intima of lesions compared with healthy controls (0.370
    versus 0.022 nmol/mg tissue for EPR, 0.525 versus 0.168
    nmol/mg tissue by ICPMS, P<0.05 in each cases). Elevated
    levels of copper were also detected (7.51 versus 2.01
    pmol/mg tissue, lesion versus healthy control, respectively,
    P<0.05). Iron levels did not correlate with the gender or
    age of the donor, or tissue protein or calcium levels, but
    cholesterol levels correlated positively with iron
    accumulation, as measured by EPR. CONCLUSIONS: These data
    support the hypothesis that iron accumulates in human
    lesions and may contribute to disease progression.

    PMID: 15001454 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

    --------------
    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
    Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
    PEOPLE WALKING

  10. markd

    markd Guest

    Tom, go in peace. May you find what ever it is you seek in
    this world and may God bless and protect you.

  11. Doe