Athlete of the year in Germany

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dieter Buerssne, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. The winner of this year's election was Jan Ullrich. A nice surprise for a cycling fan (I considered
    Michael Schumacher the favorite).

    Jan won that title in 1997 as well. At the "Sportler des Jahres" cerimony he really looked rather
    overweight that year. Well, he didn't look skinny tonight, but much better than in winter 1997.

    There was a special category in the athlete of the year election. It honoured the "lifework" (?)
    (oevre ?) of one athlete. And this was won by Udo Bölts.

    Also seen under the guests was Martin Rominger, seven time UCI world champion in artistic cycling.

    Delighted, Dieter

    Tags:

  2. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    Goes to show that the average German fan has a better grasp on athletics and who's who than the
    slobbering idiots who let Nike and talking heads make up their minds here. Bill C

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    Dieter Buerssner <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The winner of this year's election was Jan Ullrich. A nice surprise for a cycling fan (I
    > considered Michael Schumacher the favorite).

    Has Schumacher won previously? I'm an F1 fan, and think racers qualify as athletes (though I think
    Sports Illustrated uses the better thought-out title "sportsman" for their annual award, which less
    obviously eliminates drivers, yachtsmen, and designated hitters), but this was not his greatest year
    as a driver.

    > Jan won that title in 1997 as well. At the "Sportler des Jahres" cerimony he really looked rather
    > overweight that year. Well, he didn't look skinny tonight, but much better than in winter 1997.

    Who were the other nominees? Jan and Schuey were clearly at the top of their respective sports, with
    Schuey winning it all, and Jan one of the elitest of elite riders.

    > There was a special category in the athlete of the year election. It honoured the "lifework" (?)
    > (oevre ?) of one athlete. And this was won by Udo Bölts.

    Ah, the lifetime achievement award. In the Oscars, they use this when an actor has turned 70, and
    everyone realizes they haven't given the poor bloke an award yet.

  4. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

  5. Ryan Cousineau wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Dieter Buerssner
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> The winner of this year's election was Jan Ullrich. A nice surprise for a cycling fan (I
    >> considered Michael Schumacher the favorite).
    >
    > Has Schumacher won previously?

    Yes, 1995.

    > I'm an F1 fan, and think racers qualify as athletes (though I think Sports Illustrated uses the
    > better thought-out title "sportsman" for their annual award, which less obviously eliminates
    > drivers, yachtsmen, and designated hitters), but this was not his greatest year as a driver.

    Probably bad translation of mine.

    >> Jan won that title in 1997 as well. At the "Sportler des Jahres"

    See German above. Perhaps "sportsman" would be a better translation. I somehow thought, sportsman
    wouldn't sound right.

    > Who were the other nominees?

    I don't have a list. Second was Schumacher, 3rd was Ronny Ackermann. I can remember, that Dirk
    Nowitzky was somewhere metioned.

    >> There was a special category in the athlete of the year election. It honoured the "lifework" (?)
    >> (oevre ?) of one athlete. And this was won by Udo Bölts.

    I formulated this a bit wrong, too. Sorry. I could not remember the official title, and the
    talking of the moderators made me believe, it is for the whole sports life. It is called
    "Vorbilder im Sport".

    Dieter

  6. Boyd Speerschneider wrote:

    > WTF is artistic cycling?

    They use special fixed wheel bikes and do "tricks" on it. For example doing a handstand on the handle-
    bars. Many tricks involve riding backwards (which is not easy) and/or on the back wheel only. For
    some impressive pictures, see www.martinrominger.de (the picture gallery in the German part of that
    page seems larger than in the English part).

    Dieter

  7. TritonRider wrote:

    > Goes to show that the average German fan has a better grasp on athletics and who's who than the
    > slobbering idiots who let Nike and talking heads make up their minds here.

    The election was done by journalists, not by the fans.

    Dieter

  8. Dieter Buerssner <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
    >
    >> WTF is artistic cycling?
    >
    > They use special fixed wheel bikes and do "tricks" on it. For example doing a handstand on the handle-
    > bars. Many tricks involve riding backwards (which is not easy) and/or on the back wheel only. For
    > some impressive pictures, see www.martinrominger.de (the picture gallery in the German part of
    > that page seems larger than in the English part).
    >
    > Dieter

    Sounds like freestyle BMX.

  9. Boyd Speerschneider wrote:

    > Sounds like freestyle BMX.

    May sound like it. In reality, it isn't. Did you have a look at the pictures. For example, many of
    the "tricks" in artistic cycling just would be impossible on a BMX bike (one, but not the only
    reasons, is, that BMX does not have a fixed gear setup). I suggest, have a look at the pictures!
    Howard Kveck sent a link with pictures. I did, too. You should be amazed. For one single impressive
    picture, I suggest http://www.martinrominger.de/German/Gallery-Dateien/WM00/pages/SPRUNG.htm

    Just before the picture was taken, the person was "riding" on the bike, while he was standing
    upright on the saddle. Now, he is jumping to the handle bars, and will ride further on. Actually
    (you can't see this on the pictures) he will make a 360 degree turn, while standing on the
    handlebar. (That of course would be impossible with any conventional bike).

    Regards, Dieter