Athletes Needed For Study

JMurphy

Jul 9, 2015
Hi,
I'm a 4th year psychology student studying at the university of the sunshine coast in Australia. We're looking for athletes to participate in our study regarding athlete performance.
Sports being considered are track and field athletics, swimming (pool), and velodrome cycling. You would be asked to complete an online survey along with providing your competition results from the last year.
Follow the link below if you are interested in participating (the link also contains more detailed information):-
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_aHGKH0gGx5NlJNNDVFd0ZfcW8/view?usp=sharing
Thank you and Regards,
Jimeoin Murphy

Hey JM.
We get a lot of spam on this board, just wanted to let people know this is a legit post.
I'm working on the survey right now.

Hey man, this is definitely a legit post, this is all for my research at university. In future i'll probably post with more information so people know what's going on a bit more. Just didn't want to spam people with too much info, as there is heaps on the information page and consent form (at the start of the survey).

I would love to participate in that survey or study. I have not checked the link yet but will certainly open it later. Is it open for all people like sex, age, and location? Can this forum benefit from the study I guess I also have to ask that important question and hope to hear from you

ZXD22 said:
Huh that's pretty cool. What information exactly are you guys looking to extract from our results?
Hey ZXD22 without saying too much (I don't want to influence peoples responses), it's all mainly about understanding what internally within an athlete influences performance consistency; so by internal factors I mean personality constructs/elements. So in short, what is it about you that results in you performing consistently or not, hopefully we'll pick up some patterns.

Keyan said:
I would love to participate in that survey or study. I have not checked the link yet but will certainly open it later. Is it open for all people like sex, age, and location? Can this forum benefit from the study I guess I also have to ask that important question and hope to hear from you
Hey Keyan, it's definitely open to everyone within the three sports we're considering to participate. On an individual level hopefully the forum can benefit from the results, even for the people who do not choose to participate, they might still be able to consider the patterns we extract. Also, what i'll likely do is post a summary of results in the thread so that everyone who is interested can have a quick read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a more general note, I'd just like to mention that people are able to return to the survey until they finish it :)

Just bumping so that new eyes can see, apologies if I missed any rules against bumping.

Hi all,

I would just like to mention that the current plan is to close this survey at the end of this month. So for anyone that may not have finished all the questions on their first try, we have made some changes to make finishing everything easier; the biggest of which is the fact that you only need to supply FIVE performances now (before it was up to twenty).

For anyone new to seeing this, we still need plenty of responses :)

The results have been finalised for the study investigating personality factors that influence athlete performance variability (S/15/777).

Below you will find the summary of what was done and what we found:

The goal of the current research was to investigate whether personality has an influence on the performance variability of athletes. In order to test this, six measures of personality have been combined to serve as independent variables; they include attributions, flow, extraversion, neuroticism, mental toughness, mood (anxiety and depression) and motivation. The study employed a single group, multiple regression design examining the personality factors against performance variability; athlete ability was also considered as a covariate. However, due to insufficient data the design had been changed to multiple ANOVA tests measuring the influence of sport competition level (local, state, national/international) on each of the personality variables. Participants (N = 61) were athletes over 18 who competed in one of three sports, including track and field athletics, swimming and velodrome cycling. In order recruit these athletes, sporting clubs and organisations were contacted through various social media sites and online forums. The measures used included the CSGU, FSS, EPQ, SMTQ, HADS, and SMS; measuring attributions, flow, extraversion and neuroticism, mental toughness, anxiety and depression, and motivation respectively. Demographics considered included sport experience in years, age level, gender, education level, and para-athletic classification level where applicable. The results indicated that the influence of sport competition level on personality yielded no significance across all conditions. By extension no significance was shown for potential covariates of years competing and sample age. However moderate effect size for the EPQ and HADS measure suggest that an influence may exist with a larger and more representative sample.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to participate in our study.

Regards,
Jimeoin Murphy