Atkins Attempt- more harm than good?

Tc

Guest
Trying the Atkins for about 10 days now but unable to get to below 20 grams of carbs consistently.
Averaging about 60-80 grams of carbs a day. Finding that my eating pattern is tending towards eggs,
beef, pork, sausages, cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, half and half, beef and turkey jerky, soy
milk, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers,nuts. Diet breakdown is about 60% + fat, 30% + Protein, 20% +
carbs. The question is am I doing more harm than good.

"TC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Trying the Atkins for about 10 days now but unable to get to below 20 grams of carbs consistently.
> Averaging about 60-80 grams of carbs a day. Finding that my eating pattern is tending towards
> eggs, beef, pork, sausages, cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, half and half, beef and turkey
> jerky, soy milk, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers,nuts. Diet breakdown is about 60% + fat, 30% +
> Protein, 20% + carbs. The question is am I doing more harm than good.

You are harming chickens, cows, pigs, and turkeys. The saturated fat may be harming you. It sounds
like a lose-lose proposition to me.

"TC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Trying the Atkins for about 10 days now but unable to get to below 20 grams of carbs consistently.
> Averaging about 60-80 grams of carbs a day. Finding that my eating pattern is tending towards
> eggs, beef, pork, sausages, cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, half and half, beef and turkey
> jerky, soy milk, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers,nuts. Diet breakdown is about 60% + fat, 30% +
> Protein, 20% + carbs. The question is am I doing more harm than good.

If you are eating fewer calories than you are burning, you are doing good. BTW, your math is wrong:
60% + 30% + 20% = 110%.

Jeff

"TC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Trying the Atkins for about 10 days now but unable to get to below 20 grams of carbs consistently.
> Averaging about 60-80 grams of carbs a day. Finding that my eating pattern is tending towards
> eggs, beef, pork, sausages, cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, half and half, beef and turkey
> jerky, soy milk, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers,nuts. Diet breakdown is about 60% + fat, 30% +
> Protein, 20% + carbs. The question is am I doing more harm than good.

No, the *real* question is: why the hell aren't you able to stick for *a mere 14 days* to the
requirements of a diet that allows unlimited meat, unlimited fish, unlimited fowl, unlimited
shellfish and unlimited eggs.

And why can't you skip the processed, carb-rich **** they use to fill up your sausages? Are you
someone who manages to fail at *everything they do*?

Jeezes, I tried the Atkins diet just as an experiment a few months ago; and I've never found
anything so bloody *easy*...

M.

"M@rk D." <[email protected][email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "TC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Trying the Atkins for about 10 days now but unable to get to below 20 grams of carbs
> > consistently. Averaging about 60-80 grams of carbs a day. Finding that my eating pattern is
> > tending towards eggs, beef, pork, sausages, cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, half and half,
> > beef and turkey jerky, soy milk, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers,nuts. Diet breakdown is about
> > 60% + fat, 30% + Protein, 20% + carbs. The question is am I doing more harm than good.
>
> No, the *real* question is: why the hell aren't you able to stick for *a mere 14 days* to the
> requirements of a diet that allows unlimited meat, unlimited fish, unlimited fowl, unlimited
> shellfish and unlimited eggs.
>
> And why can't you skip the processed, carb-rich **** they use to fill up your sausages? Are you
> someone who manages to fail at *everything they do*?
>
> Jeezes, I tried the Atkins diet just as an experiment a few months ago; and I've never found
> anything so bloody *easy*...
>
> M.

The questions remains, is the Atkins type diet doing more harm than good when the food calorie
intake is: fat 60-65% range, Protein 20-30%,Carbs 15-20%. The sausage is homemade from lean ground
pork and spices only, I try to avoid as much preservatives as possible. Carbs are coming from
vegetables, nuts, a couple of navel oranges, and small amount of fiber cereal as needed. Eating so
much meat/protein/fat is counter to all my understanding about nutrition, eating habits, and tastes,
but willing to give it a try. But is the try doing more harm than good at these levels?

> The questions remains, is the Atkins type diet doing more harm than good when the food calorie
> intake is: fat 60-65% range, Protein 20-30%,Carbs 15-20%. The sausage is homemade from lean ground
> pork and spices only, I try to avoid as much preservatives as possible. Carbs are coming from
> vegetables, nuts, a couple of navel oranges, and small amount of fiber cereal as needed. Eating so
> much meat/protein/fat is counter to all my understanding about nutrition, eating habits, and
> tastes, but willing to give it a try. But is the try doing more harm than good at these levels?

So what do we have here? Someone who wants to try 'an Atkins-type diet' - except that this isn't an
Atkins-type diet. And who 'wants to give it a try' - except that he isn't really giving it a try.
Atkins holds that high fat is safe if you restrict the carbs - so straight away he ups the carbs.

Are you 'doing more harm than good'? *Who the hell cares*...?

M.

<snip>

> The questions remains, is the Atkins type diet doing more harm than good when the food calorie
> intake is: fat 60-65% range, Protein 20-30%,Carbs 15-20%. The sausage is homemade from lean ground
> pork and spices only, I try to avoid as much preservatives as possible. Carbs are coming from
> vegetables, nuts, a couple of navel oranges, and small amount of fiber cereal as needed. Eating so
> much meat/protein/fat is counter to all my understanding about nutrition, eating habits, and
> tastes, but willing to give it a try. But is the try doing more harm than good at these levels?

The more appropriate question is whether the atkins diet is better than a high-carb diet. In other
words which does more harm?

1) I firmly beleive that a diet which excludes refined junk carbs most be good.

2) The fat is evil concept is bad science at its worse. You need fats in your diet to be healthy.

A good variety of meats, fish etc in the diet is healthy for you. Eat lots of low_GI load veggies
and you will be fine. In fact on atkins you end up eating more fruits and veggies as before. The
refined junk carbs in the diet tend to push out the better low-gi and high-micronnutrient veggies.

Any time you remove junk carbs from the diet you are doing the right thing.

TC

"M@rk D." <[email protected][email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "TC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:bedddc68.0402080006.ba4408d@posting.
> >
> > The questions remains, is the Atkins type diet doing more harm than good when the food calorie
> > intake is: fat 60-65% range, Protein 20-30%,Carbs 15-20%. The sausage is homemade from lean
> > ground pork and spices only, I try to avoid as much preservatives as possible. Carbs are coming
> > from vegetables, nuts, a couple of navel oranges, and small amount of fiber cereal as needed.
> > Eating so much meat/protein/fat is counter to all my understanding about nutrition, eating
> > habits, and tastes, but willing to give it a try. But is the try doing more harm than good at
> > these levels?
>
> So what do we have here? Someone who wants to try 'an Atkins-type diet' - except that this
> isn't an Atkins-type diet. And who 'wants to give it a try' - except that he isn't really
> giving it a try. Atkins holds that high fat is safe if you restrict the carbs - so straight
> away he ups the carbs.
>
> Are you 'doing more harm than good'? *Who the hell cares*...?
>
> M.

Again the question remains to anyone that may have answer. Caloric intake is averaging 1700 calories
which is below my maintence requirements. My concern is the levels of protein and fat as I gradually
get to under 50 grams of carbs. To those that provided intelligent input, my sincere thanks.

"tcomeau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> <snip>
>
> > The questions remains, is the Atkins type diet doing more harm than good when the food calorie
> > intake is: fat 60-65% range, Protein 20-30%,Carbs 15-20%. The sausage is homemade from lean
> > ground pork and spices only, I try to avoid as much preservatives as possible. Carbs are coming
> > from vegetables, nuts, a couple of navel oranges, and small amount of fiber cereal as needed.
> > Eating so much meat/protein/fat is counter to all my understanding about nutrition, eating
> > habits, and tastes, but willing to give it a try. But is the try doing more harm than good at
> > these levels?
>
> The more appropriate question is whether the atkins diet is better than a high-carb diet. In other
> words which does more harm?

An even more appropriate question is: why not eat a diet low in bad carbohydrates AND low in bad
fats? Shun saturated and trans fats and high glycemic load carbohydrates. Atkins had hold of only
one end of the good nutrition stick.

GWC

> 1) I firmly beleive that a diet which excludes refined junk carbs most be good.
>
> 2) The fat is evil concept is bad science at its worse. You need fats in your diet to be healthy.
>
> A good variety of meats, fish etc in the diet is healthy for you. Eat lots of low_GI load veggies
> and you will be fine. In fact on atkins you end up eating more fruits and veggies as before. The
> refined junk carbs in the diet tend to push out the better low-gi and high-micronnutrient veggies.
>
> Any time you remove junk carbs from the diet you are doing the right thing.
>
> TC

On 8 Feb 2004 11:21:03 -0800, [email protected] (tcomeau) posted:

><snip>
>
>> The questions remains, is the Atkins type diet doing more harm than good when the food calorie
>> intake is: fat 60-65% range, Protein 20-30%,Carbs 15-20%. The sausage is homemade from lean
>> ground pork and spices only, I try to avoid as much preservatives as possible. Carbs are coming
>> from vegetables, nuts, a couple of navel oranges, and small amount of fiber cereal as needed.
>> Eating so much meat/protein/fat is counter to all my understanding about nutrition, eating
>> habits, and tastes, but willing to give it a try. But is the try doing more harm than good at
>> these levels?
>
>The more appropriate question is whether the atkins diet is better than a high-carb diet. In other
>words which does more harm?

Never considered a moderate carb diet?

>1) I firmly beleive that a diet which excludes refined junk carbs most be good.

Refined junk anything, would be even better. That's common wisdom.

>2) The fat is evil concept is bad science at its worse. You need fats in your diet to be healthy.

A few milligrams? Not pounds of it. Calories in excess is evil, just behind sloth.

>A good variety of meats, fish etc in the diet is healthy for you.

Well isn't that obvious? Like a variety of veges, fruits and grains. Age-old wisdom.

> Eat lots of low_GI load veggies and you will be fine.

Not lots, but also eat some high GI load (sic) fruits and veges. Variety is the key -- a little of
everything available.

>In fact on atkins you end up eating more fruits and veggies as before.

Who does? You?

>The refined junk carbs in the diet tend to push out the better low-gi and high-
>micronnutrient veggies.

In whose diet? Yours? Not mine.

>Any time you remove junk carbs from the diet you are doing the right thing.

As well as junk fats and excess calories.

Moosh:)

> >In fact on atkins you end up eating more fruits and veggies as before.
>
> Who does? You?

Well, at least, me too.

> >The refined junk carbs in the diet tend to push out the better low-gi and high-micronnutrient
> >veggies.
>
> In whose diet? Yours? Not mine.

I happened to me too and I believe that this happens to many people. tcomeau is absolutely right
here. Junk carbs really do push vegetables out of average menu.

If they do not do this to you then well, you are a happy guy. Congrats. For rest of us poor beings,
LC is the way to go...

> >Any time you remove junk carbs from the diet you are doing the right thing.
>
> As well as junk fats and excess calories.

Agree. Everybody should avoid vegetable shortenings.

Mirek

On 8 Feb 2004 11:21:03 -0800, [email protected] (tcomeau) wrote:

>2) The fat is evil concept is bad science at its worse. You need fats in your diet to be healthy.

At least to dissolve fat soluble vitamins and antioxidants needed by the cells to combat free
radicals made by the breakdown of glucose and from leakages of the electron transport chain in
mitochondria. (And possibly by the proposed ancient electron transport chain in cytosol from times
before infection by the organism that gave rise to mitochondria)

"Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 8 Feb 2004 11:21:03 -0800, [email protected] (tcomeau) posted:
>
> ><snip>
> >
> >> The questions remains, is the Atkins type diet doing more harm than good when the food calorie
> >> intake is: fat 60-65% range, Protein 20-30%,Carbs 15-20%. The sausage is homemade from lean
> >> ground pork and spices only, I try to avoid as much preservatives as possible. Carbs are coming
> >> from vegetables, nuts, a couple of navel oranges, and small amount of fiber cereal as needed.
> >> Eating so much meat/protein/fat is counter to all my understanding about nutrition, eating
> >> habits, and tastes, but willing to give it a try. But is the try doing more harm than good at
> >> these levels?
> >
> >The more appropriate question is whether the atkins diet is better than a high-carb diet. In
> >other words which does more harm?
>
> Never considered a moderate carb diet?

You never cease to amaze me with your idiotic little one liners. A low carb diet is a diet that
moderates carb intake. Duh!

No ****, sherlock. So you've finally gotten it, have you?

> >2) The fat is evil concept is bad science at its worse. You need fats in your diet to be healthy.
>
> A few milligrams? Not pounds of it. Calories in excess is evil, just behind sloth.

Prove it. Show me the definitive study that first showed this. Otherwise STFU.

> >A good variety of meats, fish etc in the diet is healthy for you.
>
> Well isn't that obvious? Like a variety of veges, fruits and grains. Age-old wisdom.

It appears to completely escape you that you just described a low-carb diet. How can you be so
stupid. And in a public forum. You are embarassing yourself, yet again.

> > Eat lots of low_GI load veggies and you will be fine.
>
> Not lots, but also eat some high GI load (sic) fruits and veges. Variety is the key -- a little of
> everything available.
>
> >In fact on atkins you end up eating more fruits and veggies as before.
>
> Who does? You?

Every one who eats a diet high in refined carbs as is necessary to attain the recommended 55 to
60% of calories as carbs. Do the math and try to fill 60% of a 2000 calorie diet with low-GI whole
food carbs.

> >The refined junk carbs in the diet tend to push out the better low-gi and high-micronnutrient
> >veggies.
>
> In whose diet? Yours? Not mine.
>
> >Any time you remove junk carbs from the diet you are doing the right thing.
>
> As well as junk fats and excess calories.
>
> Moosh:)

Prove it. Show me the one seminal study that proved it. Don't **** on us and tell us it's raining.
Show us the proof.

TC