Atkins' BMI: 35.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert Chung, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

  2. Hardwarelust

    Hardwarelust Guest

  3. Curt

    Curt Guest

    You have to understand. The guy has been dead for quite some time and now they are looking to bring
    the popularity of low carb down. People do it all the time. If a president becomes too popular they
    find anything they can on him to make him less popular. If people like some thing to eat they feed
    it to rats in huge doses and say, see it causes cancer. It is all the same old story. The guy lived
    over the average age of a man. He was a big guy with some problems, but they were not diet related.
    Who cares. Low carb has done lots for many people. I use it to drop a bit myself and it works great
    and makes you feel great.

    It is a joke like most anything the media puts out.

    Respectfully, Curt

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4230348/

  4. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  5. Robert Chung wrote:

    > http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4230348/

    The Atkins fad (and trust me, that's what it is) is really infuriating to anyone who's read
    about nutrition and the links between diet and disease for the past 30 years. Anyone with a
    modicum of knowledge knows that Atkins will cause weight loss at least for a while. I don't buy
    that it improves blood lipid profile for the long term. People grasp for straws when it comes to
    weight loss. One or two short-term studies purporting that it's great for ya and the 30 years of
    research linking high saturated fat with cardiovascular disease and cancer goes right out the
    window. The folks pushing Atkins are the ones with an axe to grind. Them, and the people pushing
    lo-carb bagels and beer. Give me a freakin' break!!

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    Brooklyn, NY

  6. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    I love it. it makes it easier for me to move up the athletic ladder. so many idiots are fadding out
    they are slowing down... keep it up Atkins..... fricken morons.....hope they choke on chicken
    bones.....lolololo

  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    These diets become more like religions every day.

    My problem with Atkins is that it stresses the consumption of the most resource intensive means of
    protien production: meat. In the US, that means factory farms killing more animals and wasting more
    resources to (maybe) benefit a bunch of fat, lazy Americans.

    -Bob F.

  8. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On 2/10/04 4:39 PM, in article [email protected], "Bob"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > These diets become more like religions every day.
    >
    > My problem with Atkins is that it stresses the consumption of the most resource intensive means of
    > protien production: meat. In the US, that means factory farms killing more animals and wasting
    > more resources to (maybe) benefit a bunch of fat, lazy Americans.
    >
    > -Bob F.

    KISS MY FAT MASTERS BUTT!!

    You.......PETA prayin...tree huggin.....snotrag vegan!!!

  9. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BC4EC153.91344%[email protected]...
    > On 2/10/04 4:39 PM, in article [email protected], "Bob"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > These diets become more like religions every day.
    > >
    > > My problem with Atkins is that it stresses the consumption of the most resource intensive means
    > > of protien production: meat. In the US, that
    means
    > > factory farms killing more animals and wasting more resources to (maybe) benefit a bunch of fat,
    > > lazy Americans.
    > >
    > > -Bob F.
    > >

    > KISS MY FAT MASTERS BUTT!!
    >
    > You.......PETA prayin...tree huggin.....snotrag vegan!!!

    Steve - have you considered switching to decaf?

  10. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Don't fly off the handle like that. Atkins diet works or people wouldn't be using it. Moreover
    anyone that tries it will see a pretty quick weight loss and corresponding improvement in your
    cholesterol profile.

    He never intended his diets to be used to extremes and anything like that can be abused.

    Personally I can't get away from the donuts, steaks and french bread. I'll be pegging out in another
    couple of years anyway so I might as well enjoy myself.

  11. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

  12. Dashi

    Dashi Guest

    "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You have to understand.

    I understand! The guy was a fat slob who suckered people in to believe what they wanted to believe.

    He had hypertension, was obese, had heart disease, all diet related.

    Probably laughed all the way to the bank, with your money! <G>

    You don't get something for nothing, unless you eat right and exercise.

    >The guy has been dead for quite some time and now they are looking to bring the popularity of low
    >carb down. People do it all the time.

    Oh Boy! Another conspiracy theory. <VBG>

    Dashi

    >If a president becomes too popular they find anything they can on him to make him less popular. If
    >people like some thing to eat they feed it to rats in huge doses and say, see it causes cancer. It
    >is all the same old story. The guy lived over the average age of a man. He was a big guy with some
    >problems, but they were not diet related. Who cares. Low carb has done lots for many people. I use
    >it to drop a bit myself and it works great and makes you feel great.
    >
    > It is a joke like most anything the media puts out.
    >
    > Respectfully, Curt
    >
    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4230348/

  13. Dashi

    Dashi Guest

    "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BC4EC153.91344%[email protected]...
    > On 2/10/04 4:39 PM, in article [email protected], "Bob"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> These diets become more like religions every day.

    Yep, they just don't want to hear the truth.

    True believer's, one and all. <G>

    Dashi

    >> My problem with Atkins is that it stresses the consumption of the most resource intensive means
    >> of protien production: meat. In the US, that means factory farms killing more animals and wasting
    >> more resources to (maybe) benefit a bunch of fat, lazy Americans.
    >>
    >> -Bob F.
    >>

    > KISS MY FAT MASTERS BUTT!!
    >
    > You.......PETA prayin...tree huggin.....snotrag vegan!!!

  14. Jim Gravity

    Jim Gravity Guest

    "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news

    > The guy has been dead for quite some time and now they are looking to bring the popularity of low
    > carb down. People do it all the time. If a president becomes too popular they find anything they
    > can on him to make him less popular. If people like some thing to eat they feed it to rats in huge
    > doses and say, see it causes cancer. It is all the same old story.

    Remember when Jim Fixx died of a heart attack?

  15. Curt

    Curt Guest

    "Dashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s02...

    > "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > You have to understand.
    >
    > I understand! The guy was a fat slob who suckered people in to believe
    what
    > they wanted to believe.
    >
    > He had hypertension, was obese, had heart disease, all diet related.
    >
    > Probably laughed all the way to the bank, with your money! <G>
    >
    > You don't get something for nothing, unless you eat right and exercise.

    Yeah, Atkins really made a pile of money on me when I bought the paperback book for $5. You sound
    quite ignorant in your response as most people do who don't bother reading the book and have an
    understanding of this subject. I think I'll go argue with someone about nuclear science. I have
    never read anything on it, but I am sure they will be impressed with me arguing about something I
    know nothing about.

    You people are just trying to get a rise out of people that actually read. It doesn't work. If you
    don't have an educated opinion on something, I suggest you stay on the sidelines. You sound like a
    fools and it most certainly shows.

    I would debate this subject with you, but I refuse to do that with someone who hasn't even read the
    book. I mean what could we debate about? You have NO knowledge of the subject.

    Respectfully, Curt

  16. Tom Kunich wrote:
    > Don't fly off the handle like that. Atkins diet works or people wouldn't be using it. Moreover
    > anyone that tries it will see a pretty quick weight loss and corresponding improvement in your
    > cholesterol profile.

    No question it works--for weight loss. Yeah, I've seen the reports of improved blood lipid
    profile. We'll see how they look in 5-10 years. Atkins was pretty much discredited 20 years
    or so ago when he came out. We'll eventually see what a low bulk, high fat diet will do to
    colon cancer rates.

    > He never intended his diets to be used to extremes and anything like that can be abused.
    >
    > Personally I can't get away from the donuts, steaks and french bread. I'll be pegging out in
    > another couple of years anyway so I might as well enjoy myself.

    "Pegging out"? Don't do anything rash! ;-)

    Steve

  17. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    This discussion is pretty silly. Doctors have a long record of not being able to follow their own
    advice. Smoking among physicians, AFAIK, has been well above the population average for that level
    of education. No diet is going to save you if you like pigging out. They all require discipline.
    Even if Atkins was "only" 200-210, that's still high for his height.

    Different diets are about, for a given sustained level of body fat, ones degree of health and
    general wellness. Personally, a more balanced approach, eating whole foods low on the food chain,
    with plenty of fiber-rich vegetables and fruits, avoiding grains and especially refined
    carbohydrates, is better. But different people seem to thrive on different approaches.

  18. Curt

    Curt Guest

    Yeah, that is a good point Jim. We all are going to go somehow and it can be out of no where. Jim
    was in his fifties for goodness sake.

    Enjoy, Curt

    "jim gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news
    >
    > > The guy has been dead for quite some time and now they are looking to bring the popularity of
    > > low carb down. People do it
    all
    > > the time. If a president becomes too popular they find anything they
    can on
    > > him to make him less popular. If people like some thing to eat they
    feed it
    > > to rats in huge doses and say, see it causes cancer. It is all the same
    old
    > > story.
    >
    > Remember when Jim Fixx died of a heart attack?

  19. Bob

    Bob Guest

    > KISS MY FAT MASTERS BUTT!!

    That would be against my diet.