Atkins cured dyspepsia



J

Joe

Guest
I started the Atkins diet as last ditch attempt to cure dyspepsia and digestive problems and to my
suprise it worked. Another 'by-product' was that it improved my low moods and insomnia to a great
degree. So it seems that I do have some sort of intolerance to carbs, especially bread, potatatoes
and starchy carbs.

The downside though was that at 5'10'' & 154lb I went down to nearly 140lb. This is too low. And the
lack of energy I experienced was a worry. I would like to be able to follow a low-carb and still
have the calories/energy to carry on weight training. Does anybody have a similar story.

Mudlark

'Where there's money, there's muck'.
 
E

Emma Chase Vanc

Guest
Joe <[email protected]> wrote:
: I started the Atkins diet as last ditch attempt to cure dyspepsia and digestive problems and to my
: suprise it worked. Another 'by-product' was that it improved my low moods and insomnia to a great
: degree. So it seems that I do have some sort of intolerance to carbs, especially bread, potatatoes
: and starchy carbs.

Again and again, what do we see with heartburn/GERD/dyspepsia in those carrying extra pounds? It
gets better if people lose a few.

Emma
 
I

Ignoramus6526

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Emma Chase VanCott wrote:
> Joe <[email protected]> wrote:
>: I started the Atkins diet as last ditch attempt to cure dyspepsia and digestive problems and to
>: my suprise it worked. Another 'by-product' was that it improved my low moods and insomnia to a
>: great degree. So it seems that I do have some sort of intolerance to carbs, especially bread,
>: potatatoes and starchy carbs.
>
> Again and again, what do we see with heartburn/GERD/dyspepsia in those carrying extra pounds? It
> gets better if people lose a few.

I am curious, why is that so? I have seen it happen to myself as well, almost immediately after I
started dieting.

i
 
J

Joe

Guest
On 3 Feb 2004 02:19:46 GMT, Emma Chase VanCott
<[email protected]> typed:

>Again and again, what do we see with heartburn/GERD/dyspepsia in those carrying extra pounds? It
>gets better if people lose a few.
>
I'm not carrying extra pounds. My weight was fine to begin with.
 
T

Tcomeau

Guest
Joe <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I started the Atkins diet as last ditch attempt to cure dyspepsia and digestive problems and to my
> suprise it worked. Another 'by-product' was that it improved my low moods and insomnia to a great
> degree. So it seems that I do have some sort of intolerance to carbs, especially bread, potatatoes
> and starchy carbs.
>
> The downside though was that at 5'10'' & 154lb I went down to nearly 140lb. This is too low. And
> the lack of energy I experienced was a worry. I would like to be able to follow a low-carb and
> still have the calories/energy to carry on weight training. Does anybody have a similar story.
>
>
> Mudlark
>
> 'Where there's money, there's muck'.

A surprising number of gastro-intestinal problems are caused or exascerbated by carbs. Wheat and
gluten is a perfect example.

TC
 
E

Emma Chase Vanc

Guest
> Again and again, what do we see with heartburn/GERD/dyspepsia in those
: > carrying extra pounds? It gets better if people lose a few.

: I am curious, why is that so?

- Excess body fat (inside the abdomen) pushing on the stomach.
- Things that relax the LES (lower esophageal sphincter) are triggers as well.

Emma
 
S

Steve

Guest
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 21:36:54 +0000, Joe <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I started the Atkins diet as last ditch attempt to cure dyspepsia and digestive problems and to my
>suprise it worked. Another 'by-product' was that it improved my low moods and insomnia to a great
>degree. So it seems that I do have some sort of intolerance to carbs, especially bread, potatatoes
>and starchy carbs.
>
>The downside though was that at 5'10'' & 154lb I went down to nearly 140lb. This is too low. And
>the lack of energy I experienced was a worry. I would like to be able to follow a low-carb and
>still have the calories/energy to carry on weight training. Does anybody have a similar story.
>
>
>Mudlark

I'm a betting man, so I'd be willing to bet that you are blood type O. If so, try eliminating the
additional foods that Atkins says are OK that disagree with your blood type compatibility.

Yeah, I have a similar story, but my particular case was autoimmune disease.

be well,

Steve
 
J

Joe

Guest
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:34:36 -0800, sTeve <[email protected]>
typed:

>Yeah, I have a similar story, but my particular case was autoimmune disease.

That's interesting Steve. As a teenager I had Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (autoimmune) and as an
adult I have a skin problem that is considered by some to be autoimmune related.

I don't know what my blood type is, but I'll find out and look into this.
 
M

Moosh:)

Guest
On 3 Feb 2004 12:13:44 -0800, [email protected] (tcomeau) posted:

>Joe <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> I started the Atkins diet as last ditch attempt to cure dyspepsia and digestive problems and to
>> my suprise it worked. Another 'by-product' was that it improved my low moods and insomnia to a
>> great degree. So it seems that I do have some sort of intolerance to carbs, especially bread,
>> potatatoes and starchy carbs.
>>
>> The downside though was that at 5'10'' & 154lb I went down to nearly 140lb. This is too low. And
>> the lack of energy I experienced was a worry. I would like to be able to follow a low-carb and
>> still have the calories/energy to carry on weight training. Does anybody have a similar story.
>>
>>
>> Mudlark
>>
>> 'Where there's money, there's muck'.
>
>A surprising number of gastro-intestinal problems are caused or exascerbated by carbs. Wheat and
>gluten is a perfect example.

Gluten is a protein.

Moosh:)
 
T

Tcomeau

Guest
"Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 3 Feb 2004 12:13:44 -0800, [email protected] (tcomeau) posted:
>
> >Joe <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...
> >> I started the Atkins diet as last ditch attempt to cure dyspepsia and digestive problems and to
> >> my suprise it worked. Another 'by-product' was that it improved my low moods and insomnia to a
> >> great degree. So it seems that I do have some sort of intolerance to carbs, especially bread,
> >> potatatoes and starchy carbs.
> >>
> >> The downside though was that at 5'10'' & 154lb I went down to nearly 140lb. This is too low.
> >> And the lack of energy I experienced was a worry. I would like to be able to follow a low-carb
> >> and still have the calories/energy to carry on weight training. Does anybody have a similar
> >> story.
> >>
> >>
> >> Mudlark
> >>
> >> 'Where there's money, there's muck'.
> >
> >A surprising number of gastro-intestinal problems are caused or exascerbated by carbs. Wheat and
> >gluten is a perfect example.
>
> Gluten is a protein.
>
>
> Moosh:)

It is a protein that humans haven't adjusted to having in the diet. Add to the mix an overabundance
of refined carbs/sugars/starches from the grain and you've got trouble. Crohn's disease for one.

TC
 
M

Moosh:)

Guest
On 9 Feb 2004 08:33:58 -0800, [email protected] (tcomeau) posted:

>"Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> On 3 Feb 2004 12:13:44 -0800, [email protected] (tcomeau) posted:
>>
>> >Joe <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:<[email protected]>...
>> >> I started the Atkins diet as last ditch attempt to cure dyspepsia and digestive problems and
>> >> to my suprise it worked. Another 'by-product' was that it improved my low moods and insomnia
>> >> to a great degree. So it seems that I do have some sort of intolerance to carbs, especially
>> >> bread, potatatoes and starchy carbs.
>> >>
>> >> The downside though was that at 5'10'' & 154lb I went down to nearly 140lb. This is too low.
>> >> And the lack of energy I experienced was a worry. I would like to be able to follow a low-carb
>> >> and still have the calories/energy to carry on weight training. Does anybody have a similar
>> >> story.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> Mudlark
>> >>
>> >> 'Where there's money, there's muck'.
>> >
>> >A surprising number of gastro-intestinal problems are caused or exascerbated by carbs. Wheat and
>> >gluten is a perfect example.
>>
>> Gluten is a protein.
>>
>>
>> Moosh:)
>
>It is a protein that humans haven't adjusted to having in the diet.

All humans? I'm fine with it, thanks. You? I only know of one person who had a problem with it when
he was little.

>Add to the mix an overabundance of refined carbs/sugars/starches from the grain and you've got
>trouble. Crohn's disease for one.

Refined carbs/sugars should be avoided or severely minimised, this is just normal, good nutrition.
What you keep saying about carb amounts is just plain dizzy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What causes Crohn's disease? Theories about what causes Crohn's disease abound, but none has been
proven. The most popular theory is that the body's immune system reacts to a virus or a bacterium by
causing ongoing inflammation in the intestine.

People with Crohn's disease tend to have abnormalities of the immune system, but doctors do not know
whether these abnormalities are a cause or result of the disease. Crohn's disease is not caused by
emotional distress. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/crohns/#caus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are an idiot! And you call me a troll?

Moosh:)
 
W

William A. Noye

Guest
<snip>
> >> Gluten is a protein.
> >>
> >>
> >> Moosh:)
> >
> >It is a protein that humans haven't adjusted to having in the diet.
>
> All humans? I'm fine with it, thanks. You? I only know of one person who had a problem with it
> when he was little.

One person in about 140 will have a serious gluten intolerance.

Be careful, you are sounding like John Gohde. Nutrition isn't just for the healthy.

>
> >Add to the mix an overabundance of refined carbs/sugars/starches from the grain and you've got
> >trouble. Crohn's disease for one.
>
> Refined carbs/sugars should be avoided or severely minimised, this is just normal, good nutrition.
> What you keep saying about carb amounts is just plain dizzy.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> What causes Crohn's disease? Theories about what causes Crohn's disease abound, but none has been
> proven. The most popular theory is that the body's immune system reacts to a virus or a bacterium
> by causing ongoing inflammation in the intestine.
>
> People with Crohn's disease tend to have abnormalities of the immune system, but doctors do not
> know whether these abnormalities are a cause or result of the disease. Crohn's disease is not
> caused by emotional distress. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/crohns/#caus

A major cause is likely a shortage of vitamin D. A number of autoimmune disorders are triggered by a
shortage of vitamin D. It would be interesting to see if Crohn's is less prevalent in sunny
Australia as compared to Canada or the United States Pacific Northwest.

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> You are an idiot! And you call me a troll?

Well, you are.
>
> Moosh:)
 
W

William A. Noye

Guest
"> >> Gluten is a protein.
> >>
> >>
> >
> >It is a protein that humans haven't adjusted to having in the diet.
>
> All humans? I'm fine with it, thanks. You? I only know of one person who had a problem with it
> when he was little.
>
> >Add to the mix an overabundance of refined carbs/sugars/starches from the grain and you've got
> >trouble. Crohn's disease for one.

Any evidence refined carbs are the cause? No.

>
> Refined carbs/sugars should be avoided or severely minimised, this is just normal, good nutrition.
> What you keep saying about carb amounts is just plain dizzy.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> What causes Crohn's disease?

Celiac disease that is gluten intolerance is a different disorder from Crohn's disease.

> Theories about what causes Crohn's disease abound, but none has been proven. The most popular
> theory is that the body's immune system reacts to a virus or a bacterium by causing ongoing
> inflammation in the intestine.
>
> People with Crohn's disease tend to have abnormalities of the immune system, but doctors do not
> know whether these abnormalities are a cause or result of the disease. Crohn's disease is not
> caused by emotional distress. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/crohns/#caus
 
T

Tcomeau

Guest
"William A. Noyes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "> >> Gluten is a protein.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >
> > >It is a protein that humans haven't adjusted to having in the diet.
> >
> > All humans? I'm fine with it, thanks. You? I only know of one person who had a problem with it
> > when he was little.
> >
> > >Add to the mix an overabundance of refined carbs/sugars/starches from the grain and you've got
> > >trouble. Crohn's disease for one.
>
> Any evidence refined carbs are the cause? No.
>
> >
> > Refined carbs/sugars should be avoided or severely minimised, this is just normal, good
> > nutrition. What you keep saying about carb amounts is just plain dizzy.
> >
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > What causes Crohn's disease?
>
> Celiac disease that is gluten intolerance is a different disorder from Crohn's disease.
>
>
> > Theories about what causes Crohn's disease abound, but none has been proven. The most popular
> > theory is that the body's immune system reacts to a virus or a bacterium by causing ongoing
> > inflammation in the intestine.
> >
> > People with Crohn's disease tend to have abnormalities of the immune system, but doctors do not
> > know whether these abnormalities are a cause or result of the disease. Crohn's disease is not
> > caused by emotional distress. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/crohns/#caus

My sister in law has Crohns's disease. There is a good book on the subject.

Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet by Elaine Gloria Gottschall, et al
(Paperback - December 1994)

Crohn's is an intestinal infection. Attacks are usually set off by physical or mental stress or
trauma. The colon bacterium flora crosses the intestinal barrier into the lower intestine. The
excess starches and sugars from the wheat allows the flora to thrive where it normally wouldn't. Dr
Gotschall recommends restricting grains, wheat in particular. Remove what feeds the infection and
the infection eventually goes away. It may take up to a year or more of restricting grains to get it
cleared from the system.

TC