Atkins diet and riding

x-no-archive:yes

> > I don't believe you've read the book. For one thing, Atkins was a
medical
> > doctor.
>
> And I know how little a medical doctor will know about underlying science. I've got better
> qualifications myself.

Such as what? Just writing anonymous comments on the Internet? What are your qualifications?

> > And what does "pseudo-science and pseudo-history" have to do with anything?

> Part of the psycological game to get people hooked. PT Barnham would have been proud.

So, you have better qualifications and yet can't even spell psychological??? So far, you haven't
convinced me.

> > If you believe it was not accurate, then tell us how instead of just calling names.

> For a start, making out that hunger is all about insulin, and making out that humans cannot keep
> their weight in control on a high carbohydrate
diet.
> Every human culture managed before modern america.

Here is what he says about insulin: page 49--"Insulin is manufactured in a part of your pancreas
called the Islets of Langerhans. As the sugar level in your blood goes up, the pancreas releases
insulin to move the sugar out of the blood. It then transports the blood sugar to your body's cells
for their energy needs. When these needs are met, the liver converts excess glucose into glycogen,
which is stored in the liver and muscles, where it is readily available for energy use. Once all the
glycogen storage areas are filled, the body has to do something with excess glucose. The liver
converts the remaining glucose to fat. That's why insulin is called "the fat-producing hormone.""

Now, nowhere here does he say "hunger is all about insulin." If you can prove he said this, cite the
proof. Also, please cite where he says that "humans cannot keep their weight in control on a high
carbohydrate diet."

> > I have read the book and it doesn't blame weight gain on other people. Where did you even get
> > that idea?

> That diet advice has been wrong in the last few years. The mere fact that the book is called "diet
> revolution". That advice to cut out fat, and try to ensure more starchy food was wrong.

Now, I know you haven't read Dr. Atkins book, or you would not say that his advice was to "cut out
fat and try to ensure more starchy food."

> Diets come and diets go, for anyone to defend him that strenuously has to mean the psycolgoical
> hook is working. Reel 'em in Dr. Atkins.

I didn't say that I am "defending" Dr. Atkin; indeed, what he said has to stand on its own--as what
anybody says, including you. What I have seen so far, however, is that you don't produce any proof,
just a bunch of hot air. You haven't read the book, even. You're just not believable.

Pat in Texas

>Last year I bought my first road bike and during the summer and fall I put over 1000 miles on it. I
>have fallen in love with cycling. But this winter my wife and I sold our house and had to move in
>with my mom. I had my bike but my wife accedently put all my gear somewhere in the storage unit we
>rented and I ended up not able to ride this winter. We finaly got into a new house two months ago
>and I was able to retrieve all my ****. I rode a couple of times but had a very hard time of it. I
>stepped onto the scales and found that I had added 20 pounds over the winter eating my moms
>cooking! I started the atkins diet 2 weeks ago to loose the weight and try to get my energy back.
>Im really really wanting to do some riding but im only allowed 20 carbs a day max. Would I be in
>danger of bonking really fast if I went for a ride? Has anyone else tried this diet while riding?
>BTW, I have lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks without exercise.

boy, what a thread.....wasn't it the Greeks who mentioned moderation? whatever happened to balance?
have carbs now been scapegoated to be the evil 'fattening' factor in our eating habits?

do it your way, of course, but surely just eating a balanced diet and exercising regularly will
'gradually' get your weight down...that may not be quick enough for you right this moment, but guess
what, it will still work.

no carbs?....rice, spuds, pasta, bread?....no thanks :)

bob

I've done biking (20 miles a day @ 15-20 mph) and "Atkinsing" at the same time and found it is NOT a
problem at all. Zip. Nada.

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer)
"GABIKE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Last year I bought my first road bike and during the summer and fall I put
over
> 1000 miles on it. I have fallen in love with cycling. But this winter my
wife
> and I sold our house and had to move in with my mom. I had my bike but my
wife
> accedently put all my gear somewhere in the storage unit we rented and I
ended
> up not able to ride this winter. We finaly got into a new house two months
ago
> and I was able to retrieve all my ****. I rode a couple of times but had a
very
> hard time of it. I stepped onto the scales and found that I had added 20
pounds
> over the winter eating my moms cooking! I started the atkins diet 2 weeks
ago
> to loose the weight and try to get my energy back. Im really really
wanting to
> do some riding but im only allowed 20 carbs a day max. Would I be in
danger of
> bonking really fast if I went for a ride? Has anyone else tried this diet
while
> riding? BTW, I have lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks without exercise.

Wow! You are truly clueless, aren't you? The Atkins diet effectiveness is supported by clinical
studies two of which were recently published and widely reported in (even) the mass media. Not to
mention the numerous individuals who have used it with great effectiveness and improvement in
general health. You might consider picking up a newspaper or news magazine from time to time...and
reading it.

Sheeesh!

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer) "W
K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "AustinBoston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Steve McDonald) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > If you need a name-brand diet plan to be able to lose weight and still work out hard, try the
> > > Pritikin Diet.
> > >
> > > Steve McDonald
> >
> > As long as you understand that Dr. Pritikin committed suicide because he believed his diet gave
> > him cancer.
>
> Where Mr. Atkins laughed and laughed all the way to the bank.
>
> Although the Atkins diet is supported by pseudo-science and
pseudo-history,
> it is supported by genuine psychology, in that it blames your weight gain
on
> other people. A very powerful effect.

The question isn't whether one should eat a balanced diet, but what constitutes a proper balance.

My diet is notably lacking in arsenic and strychnine. I don't think adding these things to my diet
would help achieve a nice balance. The point is that encouraging people to eat a "balanced" diet is
begging the question. About thirty years ago, there was a large shift in the idea of what made up a
balanced diet. The new way of thinking got memorialized in the Food Pyramid. The low carb fad calls
into question what now passes for old wisdom, but is actually fairly recent.

Duffy

"Garry Broad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >Last year I bought my first road bike and during the summer and fall I
put over
> >1000 miles on it. I have fallen in love with cycling. But this winter my
wife
> >and I sold our house and had to move in with my mom. I had my bike but my
wife
> >accedently put all my gear somewhere in the storage unit we rented and I
ended
> >up not able to ride this winter. We finaly got into a new house two
months ago
> >and I was able to retrieve all my ****. I rode a couple of times but had
a very
> >hard time of it. I stepped onto the scales and found that I had added 20
pounds
> >over the winter eating my moms cooking! I started the atkins diet 2 weeks
ago
> >to loose the weight and try to get my energy back. Im really really
wanting to
> >do some riding but im only allowed 20 carbs a day max. Would I be in
danger of
> >bonking really fast if I went for a ride? Has anyone else tried this diet
while
> >riding? BTW, I have lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks without exercise.
>
> boy, what a thread.....wasn't it the Greeks who mentioned moderation? whatever happened to
> balance? have carbs now been scapegoated to be the evil 'fattening' factor in our eating habits?
>
> do it your way, of course, but surely just eating a balanced diet and exercising regularly will
> 'gradually' get your weight down...that may not be quick enough for you right this moment, but
> guess what, it will still work.
>
> no carbs?....rice, spuds, pasta, bread?....no thanks :)
>
> bob

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 22:33:53 -0400, "GRL" <[email protected]> from Posted via Supernews,
http://www.supernews.com wrote:

>I've done biking (20 miles a day @ 15-20 mph) and "Atkinsing" at the same time and found it is NOT
>a problem at all. Zip. Nada.

That's hardly riding any distance or time, though. Double or triple that distance daily for five or
six days a week and an Atkns diet will leave you bonking. Some people, like me, are just getting
warmed up around 20 miles.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace It's OBVIOUS ... The FURS never reached
ISTANBUL ... You were an EXTRA in the REMAKE of "TOPKAPI" ... Go home to your WIFE ... She's making

>Wow! You are truly clueless, aren't you? The Atkins diet effectiveness is supported by clinical
>studies two of which were recently published and widely reported in (even) the mass media. Not to
>mention the numerous individuals who have used it with great effectiveness and improvement in
>general health. You might consider picking up a newspaper or news magazine from time to time...and
>reading it.

Troll.
--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Gee, I feel kind of LIGHT in the head now,
knowing I can't make my satellite dish PAYMENTS!

StrongBad wrote:

> First off a disclaimer: I am in no way attempting to be rude

Unfortunately, you appear NOT to have actually read the e-mail to which you are responding.

>>The Atkins diet is a fad diet that comes and goes in popularity. ANY diet that restricts any of
>>the three main dietary components - carbs, protein, or fat - will cause an initial apparent weight
>>loss. That's mostly water
>

> The initial 10-15lb weight loss of ANY diet is water as the body depletes it's glycogen stores.

Please. Check what I said above.

>>as your body struggles to do without the building blocks it needs.
>

> Please name ONE carbohydrate that is a "building block" of the body - or even vaguely essential to
> metabolic functioning. Here's a hint - there aren't any.

And on that note, we'll just forget about having a reasoned exchange.

Hmmm, the body doesn't need carbs.... LOL!

Bob wrote:
> "E & V Willson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>I ride daily, and have been on a low carb diet. Lost 60 lbs in 8 mos. I
>
> have
>
>>somewhat more energy when I eat carbs. Protein seems to give me a more
>
> even energy
>
>>level for a longer time than I get from carbs. (Carbs seem to give me a
>
> higher
>
>>level for a shorter time.) I highly recommend Atkins.HTH, Ernie
>>

> Supposedly, protein is converted to carbs at about a 58 percent rate, for someone in ketosis. So,
> 100 grams of protein yeilds about 58 grams of carbs

AND ketosis is very dangerous.

Duffy Pratt wrote:
> The question isn't whether one should eat a balanced diet, but what constitutes a proper balance.

There IS no question. Only Atkins and similar fad diets propose upsetting the proportion of
fats/carbs/proteins. Low carb, low fat, low protein - all are equally bad.

We were not evolved as predatores/carnivores. We evolved mainly as
vegetarians/fruits/nuts/seeds/grubs, and secondarily accepted meat-based protein sources, which
REALLY took off only once we learned to make FIRE! and consequently learned to cook.

Think not? Start eating all your meat raw.... oh, and by the way, just where ARE your canines
(compared to carnivores such as dogs, cats, bears, lions, etc....)

Atkins - the only diet in the world that thinks that oatmeal is BAD for you.... LOL!

Bob wrote:

> In fact, during the famous Lewis and Clark expidition, they basically ate nothing but meat, and
> that was an incredibly arduous journey.

Of course, they were ALSO incredibly sick and nearly starved to death.

We weren't evolved to farm or to eat a whole lot of grains or refined foods either. The Paleo and
Neadrathin diets, which make a fetish out of mimicing the eating habits of hunter/gatherers, are
much closer to Atkins than to the low-fat or food pyramid approach.

Evolution only gets you so far, anyways. Natural selection is based on getting people to the age of
reproduction. Most people I know are interested in being healthy long after they are capable of
perpetuating the species.

A low fat diet can eliminate essential nutrients and kill you in the process. A low protein diet can
do the same, only faster. It is perfectly possible to survive and live a healthy life with zero
carbohydrates. I would not say that all three are equally bad.

BTW, I do eat most of my fish raw, and a fair bit of the meat I eat that way too. I stay away from
pork tartare, but I love raw beef and lamb.

And since you know what "the proportion of fats/carbs/proteins" is without question, perhaps you
would care to enlighten us on what the magic balance
is.

Pat wrote:
> x-no-archive:yes

>>>As long as you understand that Dr. Pritikin committed suicide because he believed his diet gave
>>>him cancer.
>>

>>Where Mr. Atkins laughed and laughed all the way to the bank.
>>
>>Although the Atkins diet is supported by pseudo-science and
>
> pseudo-history,
>
>>it is supported by genuine psychology, in that it blames your weight gain
>
> on
>
>>other people. A very powerful effect.
>

> "W K" <[email protected]>
>
> I don't believe you've read the book. For one thing, Atkins was a medical doctor. And what does
> "pseudo-science and pseudo-history" have to do with anything? If you believe it was not accurate,
> then tell us how instead of just calling names. I have read the book and it doesn't blame weight
> gain on other people. Where did you even get that idea?

I HAVE read the book, and I posted NUMEROUS URLS with information about what is wrong with them. Go
read them.

Pat wrote:
> x-no-archive:yes
>

>>I do believe it takes a while -- you need to transfer to burning free
>
> fatty
>
>>acids, and this can take a long time. It also depends on your own body -- I've always been a
>>bodybuilder and bike rider (two competing exercises),
>
> and
>
>>I had no problems adjusting. If you're biking a lot, you needn't go on induction. Induction's
>>benefits are to break your body free of the evil clutches of carbohydrates and to get into ketosis
>>(burning fats for
>
> energy).
>
>>However, it's not hard to get into ketosis if you're biking. I can make a mistake and have
>>relatively high amounts of carbs for a weekend, clamp
>
> down
>
>>on the amount of carbohydrates on Monday, ride on Tuesday, and be in
>
> ketosis
>
>>on Tuesday.
>
> <snip>>
>
>>--
>>Bob
>

> Did you have any periods of nausea? After I eat breakfast, I am fairly sure I am going to throw up
> for several hours. So far, drinking more water helps. Maybe I am just not able to eat so much
> fatty stuff. This morning I had 3 scrambled eggs with heavy cream, one grilled sausage (fairly
> big), two slices of Swiss cheese, and one slice of onion sauteed in butter.
>
> This happened yesterday, too. I couldn't eat lunch because I just couldn't stand the idea of
> eating. Maybe that's the secret of this diet---food aversion!

You're in ketosis and your in trouble.

There is no essential nutrient in any carbohydrate. The body does not need them, either to build
tissue or for energy. There are entire human populations that do fine for long periods of time
without any significant carbohydrates. Its not just a theoretical idea from the laboratory, but it
is born out by observation of some Arctic tribes.

So laugh all you want, but you are misinformed.

Duffy "Sojourner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> StrongBad wrote:
> >
> > First off a disclaimer: I am in no way attempting to be rude
>
> Unfortunately, you appear NOT to have actually read the e-mail to which you are responding.
>
> >>The Atkins diet is a fad diet that comes and goes in popularity. ANY diet that restricts any of
> >>the three main dietary components - carbs, protein, or fat - will cause an initial apparent
> >>weight loss. That's mostly water
> >

> > The initial 10-15lb weight loss of ANY diet is water as the body depletes it's glycogen stores.
>
> Please. Check what I said above.
>
> >>as your body struggles to do without the building blocks it needs.
> >

> > Please name ONE carbohydrate that is a "building block" of the body - or even vaguely essential
> > to metabolic functioning. Here's a hint - there aren't any.
>
> And on that note, we'll just forget about having a reasoned exchange.
>
> Hmmm, the body doesn't need carbs.... LOL!

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 06:10:24 GMT, "Duffy Pratt" <[email protected]> from Road Runner -
Texas wrote:

>We weren't evolved to farm or to eat a whole lot of grains or refined foods either.

Oh? You have the inside track on how humans evolved?
--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Excuse me, but didn't I tell you there's NO
HOPE for the survival of OFFSET PRINTING?

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 03:46:27 GMT, "Duffy Pratt" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The question isn't whether one should eat a balanced diet, but what constitutes a proper balance.
>
>My diet is notably lacking in arsenic and strychnine. I don't think adding these things to my diet
>would help achieve a nice balance. The point is that encouraging people to eat a "balanced" diet is
>begging the question. About thirty years ago, there was a large shift in the idea of what made up a
>balanced diet. The new way of thinking got memorialized in the Food Pyramid. The low carb fad calls
>into question what now passes for old wisdom, but is actually fairly recent.

Over in the UK, following the States, we have a rise in obesity. Bad news. People get obsessed with
food, so ridiculously obsessed, they turn out of desperation to pursuing McDonalds in law courts.
It's everything to do with food, food, food, food....and it has it's place, of course it does, not
denying that. But what about lifestyle? The sedentary lifestyle that so many people pursue? Traffic
jams, cars, sitting, tv, computers. Whatever happened to walking?

But now people go to 'gyms' to exercise! duh??

People talk about eating more fruit and vegetables!!! Like that's a really new concept!! wow, never
heard of that one before....bet your grandmother has though.

The original poster to this thread was doing fine until he stopped exercising and moved back to
devour his mum's cooking <which sounds as though it was worth devouring :-> He put of weight. No
exercise, and ate more than the engine needed. Too bad, that's what happens.

Eat and be active.

bob

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 06:10:24 GMT, "Duffy Pratt" <[email protected]> from
Road
> Runner - Texas wrote:
>
> >We weren't evolved to farm or to eat a whole lot of grains or refined
foods
> >either.
>
> Oh? You have the inside track on how humans evolved?

The agricultural revolution is a fairly recent event in evolutionary terms. You don't need to be on
the inside track to get that far.

BTW, we weren't evolved to ride bicycles either, but that doesn't mean that they are bad for you. My
point before was that evolution was not necessarily the best benchmark for determining what makes
for good "balance" in a diet.

Duffy

> GABIKE wrote:
>
> > BTW, I have lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks without exercise.
> >

> The Atkins diet is a fad diet that comes and goes in popularity. ANY diet that restricts any of
> the three main dietary components - carbs, protein, or fat - will cause an initial apparent weight
> loss. That's mostly water as your body struggles to do without the building blocks it needs. Long
> term results include a rebound effect - when you finally start eating properly again, you'll put
> that weight right back on. In fact, because of the metabolic suppression the diet causes (see
> below), even a "little" cheat will have an enormous rebound effect.
>
> The Atkins diet intentionally induces ketosis, in which the blood stream is flooded with ketones
> (instead of blood glucose) which the body is forced to try to use for fuel. This will adversely
> affect both your mental AND physical abilities.

Funny, you SEEM to know the facts, and yet you don't know what you are talking about.
--
_________________________

> > --
> > Bob
>
> Bob, how did you feel when you first started, before you upped your carbs to 50 grams a day? I
> started the Atkins Diet 6 days ago and went riding on day
> 4. It seemed I was exhausted the entire ride, and it was only 13 miles. Of course, the temperature
> was 93 and the wind was blowing so hard that when I pedaled into it I was averaging 10 mph, so
> it is difficult to estimate just how much the diet played a part in my discomfort. If things
> don't get better, though, I am going to jettison this diet.

Kicking refined sugar, like kicking anything else addictive, does take time. You will feel like ****
for a minimum of one week. It took me 2 weeks before I stoped waking up with that morning fog in my
head. Now I only get that morning sugar hangover if I go out and "take a hit" off of sweet lady
Dairy Queen or the like.
--