Atkins diet and riding

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> But cycling *is* work. After work, I'm settling into a nice massage and
looking
> forward to a good dinner of risoto milanese with rosemary grilled chicken and maybe some fresh
> bread with just a bit of pesto.

Get use to eating a lot of **** when you are on the pro circiut. Back in February when we were doing
the Volta Ao Algarve in Portugal we just couldn't get a decent meal anywhere in the town of
Albufeira after the stage 4 time trial.

And forget Sagunto if you're ever doing the Classic Haribo.

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message .dfncis.de...

>> Great, just great! Loved it. Hope Fabs did, too!

Really I couldn't care less about his lame chef or the cheesy chicken he stuffed into
Kevan's musette.

What I really want to know is if his masseuse ( that's french for a female massager ) looks better
than mine, Heidi Collishaw.

> "Kevan Smith" > wrote in message
>> > But cycling *is* work. After work, I'm settling into a nice massage and
> looking
> > forward to a good dinner of risoto milanese with rosemary grilled
chicken and
> > maybe some fresh bread with just a bit of pesto.

> Get use to eating a lot of **** when you are on the pro circiut. Back in February when we were
> doing the Volta Ao Algarve in Portugal we just couldn't get a decent meal anywhere in the town of
> Albufeira after the stage 4 time trial.
>
> And forget Sagunto if you're ever doing the Classic Haribo.

Fabrizio Mazzoleni"

But, Fabs, won't you get all the Gummi Bears you could possibly eat? BTW: Gummi is German
for "rubber."

Enjoy!

Pat

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> We could not have evolved in response to something that was not present during our evolution, that
> is refined foods and grains. Unless you read somewhere that evolutionary changes can happen in
> hundreds of years rather than thousands or millions.
> --

What you ignore is that readily available, year-round sources of refined foods and grains represent
a minute bit of human evolution. There's a good chance that the many million years before us have a
greater impact than the last couple thou'.

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 00:05:25 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> from Shaw Residential
Internet wrote:

>And forget Sagunto if you're ever doing the Classic Haribo.

I heard you could get good Paella anywhere from Sagunto to Bunol, especially during the tomato war.
--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I think I'll KILL myself by leaping out of
this 14th STORY WINDOW while reading ERICA JONG'S poetry!!

This is one article on the subject of scientific evidience and the Atkins diet:

Jury Still Out on Low-Carbohydrate Diets http://my.webmd.com/content/article/63/71961.htm

They also have a diet comparison at
http://my.webmd.com/health_and_wellness/food_nutrition/lose_weight/default.htm

Pat wrote:
> x-no-archive:yes

>>>As long as you understand that Dr. Pritikin committed suicide because he believed his diet gave
>>>him cancer.
>

>>Where Mr. Atkins laughed and laughed all the way to the bank.
>>
>>Although the Atkins diet is supported by pseudo-science and
>
> pseudo-history,
>
>>it is supported by genuine psychology, in that it blames your weight gain
>
> on
>
>>other people. A very powerful effect.
>

> "W K" <[email protected]>
>
> I don't believe you've read the book. For one thing, Atkins was a medical doctor. And what does
> "pseudo-science and pseudo-history" have to do with anything? If you believe it was not accurate,
> then tell us how instead of just calling names. I have read the book and it doesn't blame weight
> gain on other people. Where did you even get that idea?
>
> Pat

Doesn't that depend on the GI of the carbohydrate? I don't think that you will get a lot of
arguement about the nutritional value of wonder bread or refined sugar but what about apples
and broccoli?

Duffy Pratt wrote:
> There is no essential nutrient in any carbohydrate. The body does not need them, either to build
> tissue or for energy. There are entire human populations that do fine for long periods of time
> without any significant carbohydrates. Its not just a theoretical idea from the laboratory, but it
> is born out by observation of some Arctic tribes.
>
> So laugh all you want, but you are misinformed.
>
> Duffy "Sojourner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>StrongBad wrote:
>>
>>>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>>>
>>>First off a disclaimer: I am in no way attempting to be rude
>>
>>Unfortunately, you appear NOT to have actually read the e-mail to which you are responding.

>>>The initial 10-15lb weight loss of ANY diet is water as the body depletes it's glycogen stores.
>>
>>Please. Check what I said above.

>>>Please name ONE carbohydrate that is a "building block" of the body - or even vaguely essential
>>>to metabolic functioning. Here's a hint - there aren't any.
>>
>>And on that note, we'll just forget about having a reasoned exchange.
>>
>>Hmmm, the body doesn't need carbs.... LOL!

> Doesn't that depend on the GI of the carbohydrate? I don't think that you will get a lot of
> arguement about the nutritional value of wonder bread or refined sugar but what about apples and
> broccoli?

It's two totally different things. The GI is in basic terms just a measure of how much insulin is
required to metabolize the carbohydrate. The point was that there are certain substances that our
bodies simply cannot function without, specifically select fats (linoleic acid and Alpha-Linolenic
Acid) various proteins (known as amino acids) and some vitamins and minerals. None of these
"essential nutrients" are carbohydrates, there are no "essential" carbohydrates from a metabolic
perspective. your body can function just fine without them. Now, one may GET their vitamins/minerals
etc... from sources that happen to contain carbohydrates as well, and some of these foods are good
to eat, but not because of carbohydrates per-se. Broccoli for example is an excellent source of good
vitamins, and very low in carbohydrates. I eat TONS of broccoli on a low carb diet. however, the
nutritional value has nothing to do with the carbohydrate content per-se. The only specific
carbohydrate one could argue has any kind of nutritional value in and of itself is fiber, for its
"digestive aiding" properties.

Bottom line: low carb diets encourage TONS of veggies and moderate fruit consumption, so it's not an
issue. the only carbs one eschews on low-carb are starches and sugars. It boggles my mind to think
that people who theoretically understand the metabolic system could think that eating more
vegetables/healty fat and less sugar/starch is bad :)

> Duffy Pratt wrote:
> > There is no essential nutrient in any carbohydrate. The body does not need them, either to build
> > tissue or for energy. There are entire human populations that do fine for long periods of time
> > without any significant carbohydrates. Its not just a theoretical idea from the laboratory, but
> > it is born out by observation of some Arctic tribes.
> >
> > So laugh all you want, but you are misinformed.

So basically the ones with the high GI. Sugar is 100, wonder type bread is about 97.

StrongBad wrote:

>>Doesn't that depend on the GI of the carbohydrate? I don't think that you will get a lot of
>>arguement about the nutritional value of wonder bread or refined sugar but what about apples and
>>broccoli?
>>

> It's two totally different things. The GI is in basic terms just a measure of how much insulin is
> required to metabolize the carbohydrate. The point was that there are certain substances that our
> bodies simply cannot function without, specifically select fats (linoleic acid and Alpha-Linolenic
> Acid) various proteins (known as amino acids) and some vitamins and minerals. None of these
> "essential nutrients" are carbohydrates, there are no "essential" carbohydrates from a metabolic
> perspective. your body can function just fine without them. Now, one may GET their
> vitamins/minerals etc... from sources that happen to contain carbohydrates as well, and some of
> these foods are good to eat, but not because of carbohydrates per-se. Broccoli for example is an
> excellent source of good vitamins, and very low in carbohydrates. I eat TONS of broccoli on a low
> carb diet. however, the nutritional value has nothing to do with the carbohydrate content per-se.
> The only specific carbohydrate one could argue has any kind of nutritional value in and of itself
> is fiber, for its "digestive aiding" properties.
>
> Bottom line: low carb diets encourage TONS of veggies and moderate fruit consumption, so it's not
> an issue. the only carbs one eschews on low-carb are starches and sugars. It boggles my mind to
> think that people who theoretically understand the metabolic system could think that eating more
> vegetables/healty fat and less sugar/starch is bad :)

So basically the ones with the high GI. Sugar is 100, wonder type bread is about 97.

>>Duffy Pratt wrote:
>>
>>>There is no essential nutrient in any carbohydrate. The body does not need them, either to build
>>>tissue or for energy. There are entire human populations that do fine for long periods of time
>>>without any significant carbohydrates. Its not just a theoretical idea from the laboratory, but
>>>it is born out by observation of some Arctic tribes.
>>>
>>>So laugh all you want, but you are misinformed.

> So basically the ones with the high GI. Sugar is 100, wonder type bread is about 97.

Yes, if you want to look at it like that. A low carb diet is very similar to a very low GI diet,
since by nature most of the veggies/fruits consumed ARE low GI. The one major difference is that low
GI diets still generally rely on carbs for energy production while most LC diets rely on fatty acid
metabolism. They are both similar in practice, though. low GI will eat slightly more grains/fruits
while LC will eat slightly more healthy fats/fibrous veggies. The only problem is that because of
mainstream media, most people have the idea of LC, or "atkins" diets, as sitting around in front of
the TV eating lard with a spoon, which is a totally inaccurate assessment. if they would just bother
to actually research what a LC diet entails, they would see that it is a very balanced, healthy way
of eating from a metabolic point of view.

P.S.also, another thing to take into account when talking about GI is GL, or Glycemic Load. GL is
basically GI over time, ie the insulin required to metabolize a carbohydrate over a period of
time. In other words, even if something requires a high *total amount* of insulin to metabolize,
if it is spread out over a long period of time, the insulin level will never be raised that high
at any given point.

> StrongBad wrote:
> >
> >>Doesn't that depend on the GI of the carbohydrate? I don't think that you will get a lot of
> >>arguement about the nutritional value of wonder bread or refined sugar but what about apples and
> >>broccoli?
> >>

> > It's two totally different things. The GI is in basic terms just a measure of how much insulin
> > is required to metabolize the carbohydrate. The point was that there are certain substances that
> > our bodies simply cannot function without, specifically select fats (linoleic acid and
> > Alpha-Linolenic Acid) various proteins (known as amino acids) and some vitamins and minerals.
> > None of these "essential nutrients" are carbohydrates, there are no "essential" carbohydrates
> > from a metabolic perspective. your body can function just fine without them. Now, one may GET
> > their vitamins/minerals etc... from sources that happen to contain carbohydrates as well, and
> > some of these foods are good to eat, but not because of carbohydrates per-se. Broccoli for
> > example is an excellent source of good vitamins, and very low in carbohydrates. I eat TONS of
> > broccoli on a low carb diet. however, the nutritional value has nothing to do with the
> > carbohydrate content per-se. The only specific carbohydrate one could argue has any kind of
> > nutritional value in and of itself is fiber, for its "digestive aiding" properties.
> >
> > Bottom line: low carb diets encourage TONS of veggies and moderate fruit consumption, so it's
> > not an issue. the only carbs one eschews on low-carb are starches and sugars. It boggles my mind
> > to think that people who theoretically understand the metabolic system could think that eating
> > more vegetables/healty fat and less sugar/starch is bad :)
>
> So basically the ones with the high GI. Sugar is 100, wonder type bread is about 97.

In article <[email protected]>, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:rcousine->
> > Hm. Not pretty. I took a PBJ with me on a metric century, but made in a bagel. The chewy bagel
> > was tough enough to retain structural integrity at the 50 km mark. Then I ate it.
>
> Ryan, how come you were eating solid food for that short a distance? A few guys working together
> should knock off a metric century in just over 2 hours depending on the type of route.

First ride of the year, my team wasn't with me, I rode it as a recovery ride, the sun got in my
eyes, I was using a steel Pinarello, I suck...one of these excuses is close to the truth (I
carded a 4:07).

> For that short of event you just need something like a PowerGel or Clif Shot package. You don't
> need feed zones until you do events like euro road races over distances like 180 km and up.
>
> For sub anaerobic threshold ride that you may do on an Wednesday evening after work when you go
> out for 80 -100 km you can eat solid food on the bike, as your pace will be quite moderate.

That's a good recovery ride idea!

BTW, I will be at the Tuesday nighter again tonight, and I will again write "FORZA FABRIZIO
MAZZOLENI" on the course. This time, I want your autograph for my jersey!

Janyne Kizer wrote:
> This is one article on the subject of scientific evidience and the Atkins diet:
>
> Jury Still Out on Low-Carbohydrate Diets http://my.webmd.com/content/article/63/71961.htm

The two affirmative studies published in mid-late May from memory (Philadelphia & Pennsylvania
Universities).

Boy! This thread certainly has gone off on multiple tangents since it began. I have lost ~15 lbs. on
the AD in about a month or so. Now that the sun has come out in NY I've taken out my bike. I'm
starting radually -- due to time and body constraints. I'm doing one 25-30 mile ride on the weekend
and trying to do 2-3 rides during the week of 5-6 miles each. From what I've read, each individual
is exactly that: an indivudal. That said, I feel that I need something to feed my riding. When I
roll out of bed for an early a.m. ride during the week, I can't get going. My guess is it's lack of
energy. I figured I'd try a banana before my ride and it helps. Not sure how many minutes the body
needs to pick up the pluses of a banana. I've also put a 50% water/50% Powerade mixture in my water
bottle and drink that up during my 30 minute ride. Now the big question (for me): Would a Clif bar
(or its lower calorie and lower carb sister, the Luna bar) really be that disasterous. I figure I'd
eat one before I set out. For a long weekend ride, perhaps one during the ride too.

My apologies if some of this ground has been covered already.

Suggest you take your ride day the same as any other Atkins day if you're going the Atkins way....
eat a pound of hamburger with the grease, and drink water until you have to pee really bad. Then go.

Myself I sort of like a more Mediterranean diet idea, lots of simple breads, pasta and grains, lots
of veggies and fruits, olive oil, and meat mixed as an ingredient instead of as the main course in
one meal out of three or so. From personal experience, you lose weight at the same rate, and it's
much more sustainable, for me, over time.