Atkins Diet Blood Lipids Reduction

Look381i

Oct 5, 2003
I just had a six-week Atkins blood profile done and compared it to the profile done the day before I started Atkins. Here are the pre- and post- numbers:

triglycerides: 208 50

total cholesterol: 196 163

LDL 112 105

HDL 42 48

Weight 182 166

All blood chemistry normal and hematocrit 45% at both ends. Blood sugar low normal. Waking HR 46. Resting HR 50.

These data come after six weeks of eating large quantities of beef, fish, pork, eggs, cheese, hot dog, heavy cream, etc. and small quantities of salad, green beans, pickles, cucumbers, tomatoes etc., with vitamin and mineral supplements, water and Diet Rite sodas. Exercise remained constant, 100-200 cycling miles per week, overall average about 19 mph.

I have had an intractable triglycerides problem for all my adult life, only moderated slightly by diet and drugs. Atkins knocked them dead. My doctor was dumbfounded.

By the way, I am 54 years old.

Your a textbook case man. Some day the doctors and "experts" will catch up. Until then, isn't it great to be able to eat like we do, lose weight and have a better lipid profile to boot.

I bet dropping to 166 has improved your riding quite a bit too. Been riding any hills lately. I'm doing a century a week from Sunday. My last century was in April and I weighed 225. I'm now closing in on 195. I'm totaly stoked.

I haven't done my yearly checkup yet. Maybe I'll go dumbfound my doctor too.

Originally posted by Look381i
I just had a six-week Atkins blood profile done and compared it to the profile done the day before I started Atkins. Here are the pre- and post- numbers:

triglycerides: 208 50

total cholesterol: 196 163

LDL 112 105

HDL 42 48

Weight 182 166

All blood chemistry normal and hematocrit 45% at both ends. Blood sugar low normal. Waking HR 46. Resting HR 50.

These data come after six weeks of eating large quantities of beef, fish, pork, eggs, cheese, hot dog, heavy cream, etc. and small quantities of salad, green beans, pickles, cucumbers, tomatoes etc., with vitamin and mineral supplements, water and Diet Rite sodas. Exercise remained constant, 100-200 cycling miles per week, overall average about 19 mph.

I have had an intractable triglycerides problem for all my adult life, only moderated slightly by diet and drugs. Atkins knocked them dead. My doctor was dumbfounded.

By the way, I am 54 years old.

Well done on your changes and keep them up for some good health benefits. I have no doubt that much of the changes in your blood lipids were caused by your loss in weight (well done on both counts), this could also have been acheived on a non Atkins diet too.

Your TG has changed a lot (again well done); but be aware that things like what you eat the day (and month) before, any exercise taken, how you fast, etc. will effect your fasting TG. A single 1 hour exercise bout on the day before a fasting TG test can lower fasting TG by up to 25% when all other conditions are the same, and a meal can increase TG by 300% or more (depending upon what you eat) in the period following the meal (peak TG is recorded at 4 to 8 hours and staying elevated for 12 to 16 hours later)!

While your LDL and HDL have changed (again well done) this is by a much smaller amount. If I was your doctor I would like to see these changes maintained or improved over the next two blood samples given that day to day variability alone might account for this level of variation and thats before we get into the variability we could expect as a result of analysis.

It is difficult to say if the composition of your new diet is the cause of your blood lipid changes v's weight loss. Particularly when I don't know what you were eating prior to this or your medical/family history. You must be a very fit 54 year old completing that distance at that speed!!!

How do you feel being on the Atkins; that you will start to have to reintroduce the foods that you have excluded so far (i.e. taking the number of calories from carbohydrates to 40%) now that you will be moving into the maintenance phase? Do you think you will stop imporving or even go backwards during the Atkins 'mantainence phase'? This must be difficult mentaly?

Well done on your progress so far.

Originally posted by davidbod
Your a textbook case man. Some day the doctors and "experts" will catch up. Until then, isn't it great to be able to eat like we do, lose weight and have a better lipid profile to boot.

I bet dropping to 166 has improved your riding quite a bit too. Been riding any hills lately. I'm doing a century a week from Sunday. My last century was in April and I weighed 225. I'm now closing in on 195. I'm totaly stoked.

I haven't done my yearly checkup yet. Maybe I'll go dumbfound my doctor too.
What about me though; I eat a balanced and healthy diet, eating what I like (I'm veggie so don't want to eat meat), exercise 5 days a week, have always had normal blood lipids (with very high HDL), have never had to lose weight (BMI between 20 and 21 every time I calculate it), etc.

How would you explain my situation (given that I am not the same as your 'TEXTBOOK CASE MAN')? As a clue, its not that I'm lucky!!!! :D

Well done on your weight loss; it would be interesting if you went to the literature and predicted what the changes in your blood lipids would be as a result of weight loss alone prior to your next test. Keep up the good work (it feels great running up stairs not taking the lift!).

Originally posted by 2LAP
Well done on your changes and keep them up for some good health benefits. I have no doubt that much of the changes in your blood lipids were caused by your loss in weight (well done on both counts), this could also have been acheived on a non Atkins diet too.

--In summer of 2002, by staying hungry on a low-fat diet for several months, I reduced my weight to almost what it is now, in preparation for riding the TdF mountians, etc., on a 17-day tour. I had a blood test done just before leaving for France. Lipids then were higher than the pre-Atkins test six weeks ago. That suggests neither low-fat diet nor lower weight accounts for current numbers.

Your TG has changed a lot (again well done); but be aware that things like what you eat the day (and month) before, any exercise taken, how you fast, etc. will effect your fasting TG. A single 1 hour exercise bout on the day before a fasting TG test can lower fasting TG by up to 25% when all other conditions are the same, and a meal can increase TG by 300% or more (depending upon what you eat) in the period following the meal (peak TG is recorded at 4 to 8 hours and staying elevated for 12 to 16 hours later)!

--The Sunday night (12 hours) before my recent blood test, we had company. I ate a large steak, salad with fatty dressing, green beans with butter, and drank water and a glass of Aussie Shiraz. I did ride that morning, but only 42 miles at moferate pace.

The day before my pre-Atkins test, I don't recall my food intake, but I rode 58 miles at moderate pace.

While your LDL and HDL have changed (again well done) this is by a much smaller amount. If I was your doctor I would like to see these changes maintained or improved over the next two blood samples given that day to day variability alone might account for this level of variation and thats before we get into the variability we could expect as a result of analysis

It is difficult to say if the composition of your new diet is the cause of your blood lipid changes v's weight loss. Particularly when I don't know what you were eating prior to this or your medical/family history. You must be a very fit 54 year old completing that distance at that speed!!!

-- My pre-Atkins diet was nearly vegetarian diet (I did eat meat, fish chicken and turkey before, but in very limited quantities) which was heavy in vegetables, pastas, starches, multi-grain breads, skim milk and cereals.

My Atkins diet included foods I was seldom allowed to eat before. I ate bacon, sausages, and hotdogs, generally nitrate-free, often turkey and chicken-based, but still fatty. (Atkins specifically recommends against foods with suspected carcinogens or other health dangers.) I also ate "healthier" fats, such as olive oil, olives and nuts. Frankly, I piad little attention to the nature of the fats I ate, except I avoided processed foods that were hydrogenated, etc. That was easy, because most such foods have carbs as well. I avoided Nutrasweet, so drank only Diet Rite sodas and water. The salad dressings I choose (caesar, blue cheese) were fatty. I did and do eat broccoli, green beans, asparagus, cauliflower, and spinach, all either raw in salads or cooked, which are among the veggies approved for the induction phase. The only conscious departures I made from his recommendations were that I continued to drink caffeinated tea and coffee, in modest amounts, and had an occasional wine or beer.

I am fitter than most people I know in my age range, but I am not at the top of the local fitness range. I have several riding buddies who are world class plus-50 triathletes. When they are hammering, I am often off the back within an hour.

How do you feel being on the Atkins; that you will start to have to reintroduce the foods that you have excluded so far (i.e. taking the number of calories from carbohydrates to 40%) now that you will be moving into the maintenance phase? Do you think you will stop imporving or even go backwards during the Atkins 'mantainence phase'? This must be difficult mentaly?

-- Now that I near my weight target, I will begin moving to the later Atkins phases and introduce a wider variety and greater quantity of veggies and perhaps a little fruit. I feel fine and have good endurance, but my climbing hurts more. Even though I am a bit lighter, I feel like a lack a glycogen reserve or some other energy source to take the larger rolling hills at full throttle.

I expect that once I have hot my weight target I could relax about my intake and backslide to "bad carbs" largely because they are so readily available at social functions and everyone else eats them. I do miss a good baguette, a baked potato, and good pasta, and the thought of foregoing all those forever is daunting.

Originally posted by 2LAP
What about me though; I eat a balanced and healthy diet, eating what I like (I'm veggie so don't want to eat meat), exercise 5 days a week, have always had normal blood lipids (with very high HDL), have never had to lose weight (BMI between 20 and 21 every time I calculate it), etc.

How would you explain my situation (given that I am not the same as your 'TEXTBOOK CASE MAN')? As a clue, its not that I'm lucky!!!! :D

Well done on your weight loss; it would be interesting if you went to the literature and predicted what the changes in your blood lipids would be as a result of weight loss alone prior to your next test. Keep up the good work (it feels great running up stairs not taking the lift!).

You obviously have a diet and exercise regimen that work very well for you. If you eat what you like, in the quantities that satisfy you and have never had a weight problem then whether you realize it or not you are very lucky. For me I seem to be one of those "lucky" people who when they eat carbs in the 40-60% range can't help but gain weight. I have a friend who I have known since grade school who is about 6'4" and skinny as a toothpick. He can eat whatever he wants and stay skinny. People are just different I guess.

For me lowering the carbs has really worked. Except for the first few days during the initial induction process I have fealt completely normal over the last 2.5 months. The diet seems to suit me well in the choices and qauntities of food I can eat and still lose weight. Over the past 3-4 weeks I have been introducing more carbs into my diet as well and this doesn't seem to be a problem. I still don't eat much if any refined or simple carbs like potato, rice, non-whole wheat breads or pastas though.

Some things I have noticed is that when I do eat carbs now I don't feel as bloughted as I used to. Also when I eat a very heavy meal like a large steak it seems to stay with me much longer. I can then eat much smaller meals over the next 2-3 meals and still be satisfied. Also in general I find that if I eat a cooked breakfast of eggs and bacon or sausage and then a reasonable sized lunch I'm usually so full at dinner I just have more of a snack rather than a big meal.

Long term I don't think I will ever eat potato, rice or refined flour in the quantities that I used to. The interesting thing is I now do not crave them either.

One thing that would be interesting would be to take your diet over a couple of days and do an analysis of what the break down of net-carbs, carbs, protien, fat and fiber are (including what you drink). You may find that your net-carbs are more restrictive than you think. If you don't already know the net-carbs are the carbs minus fiber for the same food item.

The sad thing is that in America the low-fat craze has typically meant that manufacturers have pumped up the sugar content of all kinds of products to make them pallatable after removing the fat. I think if most Americans did a diet analysis as above they would be shocked at how much carbs have actually snuck into their diets.

You obviously have a diet and exercise regimen that work very well for you. If you eat what you like, in the quantities that satisfy you and have never had a weight problem then whether you realize it or not you are very lucky. For me I seem to be one of those "lucky" people who when they eat carbs in the 40-60% range can't help but gain weight. I have a friend who I have known since grade school who is about 6'4" and skinny as a toothpick. He can eat whatever he wants and stay skinny. People are just different I guess.
I don't think I'm lucky at all, I exercise regularly and eat well, hence hold a normal weight and have good blood lipids, etc. One of the best tips I know is that if you have a 'greedy' day one day, take it easy on your body the next (balance, moderation and variation being key). Being skinny doesn't garantee you having good blood lipids, being fit or being healthy... so I question whether you friend is lucky too. The majority of people aren't different (only some people have a clinical problem leading to weight gain) for the others (more than 60% of people in the UK) they eat too much and exercise too little! We all opperate within the same biochemical constraints!
For me lowering the carbs has really worked. Except for the first few days during the initial induction process I have fealt completely normal over the last 2.5 months. The diet seems to suit me well in the choices and qauntities of food I can eat and still lose weight. Over the past 3-4 weeks I have been introducing more carbs into my diet as well and this doesn't seem to be a problem. I still don't eat much if any refined or simple carbs like potato, rice, non-whole wheat breads or pastas though.
I'm glad that has worked for you, remeber that high fat diets have allways been associated with poor blood lipids in the long term so I think it is a good idea that you are adding carbs.
Some things I have noticed is that when I do eat carbs now I don't feel as bloughted as I used to. Also when I eat a very heavy meal like a large steak it seems to stay with me much longer. I can then eat much smaller meals over the next 2-3 meals and still be satisfied. Also in general I find that if I eat a cooked breakfast of eggs and bacon or sausage and then a reasonable sized lunch I'm usually so full at dinner I just have more of a snack rather than a big meal.
Being veggie, that regime sounds really bad.
Long term I don't think I will ever eat potato, rice or refined flour in the quantities that I used to. The interesting thing is I now do not crave them either.
You craved them, why?
One thing that would be interesting would be to take your diet over a couple of days and do an analysis of what the break down of net-carbs, carbs, protien, fat and fiber are (including what you drink). You may find that your net-carbs are more restrictive than you think. If you don't already know the net-carbs are the carbs minus fiber for the same food item.
I have done a number of week long dietary analysis and have always been happy that my % of Kcals from carbohydrates, fat and protein were between 60 to 65, <30 and 10 to 15. I'm not sure why you would want to know about the 'net-carbs' (I'm not sure of its physiological relevance) and indigestable fiber would be excluded from the Kcals from Carbohydrate in the analysis anyway.
The sad thing is that in America the low-fat craze has typically meant that manufacturers have pumped up the sugar content of all kinds of products to make them pallatable after removing the fat. I think if most Americans did a diet analysis as above they would be shocked at how much carbs have actually snuck into their diets.
While I can't speak for americans, being from the UK, I am sure that the average american would be surprised by how many 'kcals' they eat and how little exercise they do, irrespective of the source of those calories. All of the foods that I would consider 'american' are either high in fat (i.e. Mcdonalds), high in sugar (i.e. pancakes and syrup) or high in both (i.e. Muffins) resulting in meals that are high in calories and low in nutrients. Given that calorie imbalance is the primary cause of weight gain (or loss) then it is likely that this is the cause of weight gain. Recent weight gain in the UK has been attributed to restraunts that have started serving 'american sized' portions and people tending to eat all of the food (and kcals) placed in front of them. Big meals, big waist lines!!! Reducing sugar intake is good advice for everyone, but this is different from avoiding carbohydrates which can only be bad advice to give.