ATKINS DIET CAUSES DEPRESSION

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Dr. Jai Maharaj, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Forwarded message posted for discussion

    [ Subject: Atkins diet can cause depression [ From: "Tim Murphy" <[email protected]> [ Date: 1
    Mar 2004 03:35:00 -0600

    London Evening Standard (UK)

    Atkins diet can cause depression

    By

    Mark Prigg, Evening Standard Science Correspondent

    The Atkins diet is at the centre of fresh controversy after scientists said it could cause
    depression and mood swings. Medical experts have found that the diet blocks the brain's ability to
    produce chemicals that keep us happy.

    Nutritionists have called for people to abandon the diet, claiming they could be risking their
    mental health as well as physical well-being.

    The key to the research is serotonin. This is the chemical released in the brain that keeps us
    relaxed and positive

    The team, led by Dr Judith Wurtman at MIT - one of America's top research universities - discovered
    that high levels of carbohydrates and low levels of proteins are the key to producing enough
    serotonin to regulate mood. But this is the opposite of the Atkins diet ideal.

    According to Dr Wurtman, lowcarb diets can lead to grumpiness, irritability and even depression.
    She added that the problem was magnified in women, who have naturally lower levels of serotonin in
    the brain.

    Dr Wurtman said: "Serotonin is involved in keeping our moods stable, making us calm and serene and
    allowing us to focus and concentrate. When you take away the carbohydrates, it's like taking away
    water from someone trekking through the desert."

    The MIT team studied the levels of serotonin in the brain of 100 volunteers during a 12-week study.
    Some were given a highcarbohydrate diet and others ate more protein-rich foods.

    Those on high carbohydrates produced higher levels of serotonin and were more relaxed. Dr Wurtman
    said: "If you eat a potato when you are feeling grumpy or angry, you'll be feeling better in 30 to
    40 minutes." The study also revealed carbohydrates played a key role in controlling appetite. Dr
    Wurtman added: "When serotonin is made and becomes active in your brain, its effect on your appetite
    is to make you feel full before your stomach is stuffed and stretched."

    Her research showed how the brain satisfied its need for carbohydrates in some people when serotonin
    levels were low. "These are the people we call ' carbohydrate cravers', who need a certain amount to
    keep their moods steady," said Dr Wurtman.

    Nutritionist Natalie Savona was not surprised by the research. She said: "The Atkins diet just isn't
    good. It is far too extreme. In terms of day-to-day moods, diet and carbohydrate levels make a big
    difference."

    http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/9402363?source=Evening%20Standard

    End of forwarded message

    Jai Maharaj http://www.mantra.com/jai Om Shanti

    Panchaang for 11 Phalgun 5104, Tuesday, March 2, 2004:

    Shubhanu Nama Samvatsare Uttarayane Moksh Ritau Kumbh Mase Shukl Pakshe Mangal Vasara Yuktayam Punarvasu-
    Pushya Nakshatr Saubhagya Yog Vishti-Bav Karan Ekadashi-Dvadashi Yam Tithau

    Hindu Holocaust Museum http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

    Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy http://www.hindu.org http://www.hindunet.org

    The truth about Islam and Muslims http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

    o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used for the educational purposes of research and
    open discussion. The contents of this post may not have been authored by, and do not
    necessarily represent the opinion of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright law
    and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works. o If you send private e-mail to me, it
    will likely not be read, considered or answered if it does not contain your full legal name,
    current e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice telephone number. o Posted for information
    and discussion. Views expressed by others are not necessarily those of the poster.

    Tags:

  2. Harmony

    Harmony Guest

    "Dr. Jai Maharaj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Forwarded message posted for discussion
    >
    > [ Subject: Atkins diet can cause depression [ From: "Tim Murphy" <[email protected]> [ Date:
    > 1 Mar 2004 03:35:00 -0600

    > London Evening Standard (UK)
    >
    > Atkins diet can cause depression

    After killings and eating of all those animals, is this all it has to show for itself?

  3. Jaberwokie

    Jaberwokie Guest

    This same bunch of people will be telling us that arsenic is good for us next week! I'm on the
    atkins diet and it has not depressed me one bit.

    Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > Hindu Holocaust Museum http://www.mantra.com/holocaust
    >
    > Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy http://www.hindu.org http://www.hindunet.org
    >
    > The truth about Islam and Muslims http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate
    >
    > o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used for the educational purposes of research
    > and open discussion. The contents of this post may not have been authored by, and do not
    > necessarily represent the opinion of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright law
    > and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works. o If you send private e-mail to me, it
    > will likely not be read, considered or answered if it does not contain your full legal name,
    > current e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice telephone number. o Posted for
    > information and discussion. Views expressed by others are not necessarily those of the

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    "harmony" <[email protected]> posted:

    > Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Forwarded message posted for discussion
    > >
    > > [ Subject: Atkins diet can cause depression [ From: "Tim Murphy" <[email protected]> [
    > > Date: 1 Mar 2004 03:35:00 -0600

    > > London Evening Standard (UK)
    > >
    > > Atkins diet can cause depression

    > After killings and eating of all those animals, is this all it has to show for itself?

    Corpse-eating is the unhealthy way of life.

    Jai Maharaj http://www.mantra.com/jai Om Shanti

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    Jaberwokie <[email protected]> posted:

    > This same bunch of people will be telling us that arsenic is good for us next week! I'm on the
    > atkins diet and it has not depressed me one bit.

    With thoughts of arsenic, you must be depressed.

  6. Mr. 4X

    Mr. 4X Guest