Atkins' diet results in steatosis

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Jan 16, 2006.

  1. Metabolic and antioxidative changes in liver steatosis induced by
    high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet in rabbits.
    Birkner E, Kasperczyk S, Kasperczyk A, Zalejska-Fiolka J,
    Zwirska-Korczala K, Stawiarska-Pieta B, Grucka-Mamczar E
    J Physiol Pharmacol. 2005 Dec ; 56 Suppl 6: 45-58

    Significantly decreased amounts of carbohydrates and increase of fat in
    diet (Atkins' diet, Jan Kwasniewski's diet) may interfere with liver
    metabolism because main source of liver energy are carbohydrates. Large
    amount of fatty acid in diet may induce overproduction of reactive
    oxygen species in mitochondria because of increased oxidation and may
    cause steatosis. The influence of high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet
    (contained 14 g% protein, 25 g% fat, 8 g% carbohydrate) and compared to
    usual habitual diet (13 g% protein, 3 g% fat, 28 g% carbohydrate) as a
    control on liver function was examined in adult male rabbits. Fodder
    and water was ad libitum. The experiment lasted 24 weeks. At the
    beginning and every six weeks rabbits were weighed and blood was taken.
    Plasma glucose and cholesterol concentration, activity of glutamate
    dehydrogenase, alanine and aspartate in plasma and liver did not
    change. Concentrations of triacylglycerols (TG) in plasma were lower in
    the study group. Activity of aldolase increased in plasma and in liver
    in the study group while activity of sorbite dehydrogenase decreased in
    plasma at the end of the experiment. Malondialdehyde (MDA)
    concentration increased in aorta with no changes in liver and
    erythrocytes. Activity of glutathione peroxidase increased in
    erythrocytes and liver while total SOD increased only in the liver.
    High-fat, low-carbohydrate diet despite the lack of growth of the body
    mass, modifies significantly the homeostasis of carbohydrates and
    antioxidants in liver and enhanced production of TG in this organ,
    resulting in its steatosis.

    Who loves ya.
    Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com

    Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore

    DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  2. Enrico C

    Enrico C Guest

    > Metabolic and antioxidative changes in liver steatosis induced by
    > high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet in rabbits.

    Is that meaningful for humans as well?

    X'Posted to: sci.med.nutrition,sci.med

  3. TC

    TC Guest

    Yep, feed a vegetarian animal some animal fats and you will see some
    interesting crap happening. Now, how does that relate to a primarily
    carnivorous omnivore like a human? It doesn't.

    TC

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Metabolic and antioxidative changes in liver steatosis induced by
    > high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet in rabbits.
    > Birkner E, Kasperczyk S, Kasperczyk A, Zalejska-Fiolka J,
    > Zwirska-Korczala K, Stawiarska-Pieta B, Grucka-Mamczar E
    > J Physiol Pharmacol. 2005 Dec ; 56 Suppl 6: 45-58
    >
    > Significantly decreased amounts of carbohydrates and increase of fat in
    > diet (Atkins' diet, Jan Kwasniewski's diet) may interfere with liver
    > metabolism because main source of liver energy are carbohydrates. Large
    > amount of fatty acid in diet may induce overproduction of reactive
    > oxygen species in mitochondria because of increased oxidation and may
    > cause steatosis. The influence of high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet
    > (contained 14 g% protein, 25 g% fat, 8 g% carbohydrate) and compared to
    > usual habitual diet (13 g% protein, 3 g% fat, 28 g% carbohydrate) as a
    > control on liver function was examined in adult male rabbits. Fodder
    > and water was ad libitum. The experiment lasted 24 weeks. At the
    > beginning and every six weeks rabbits were weighed and blood was taken.
    > Plasma glucose and cholesterol concentration, activity of glutamate
    > dehydrogenase, alanine and aspartate in plasma and liver did not
    > change. Concentrations of triacylglycerols (TG) in plasma were lower in
    > the study group. Activity of aldolase increased in plasma and in liver
    > in the study group while activity of sorbite dehydrogenase decreased in
    > plasma at the end of the experiment. Malondialdehyde (MDA)
    > concentration increased in aorta with no changes in liver and
    > erythrocytes. Activity of glutathione peroxidase increased in
    > erythrocytes and liver while total SOD increased only in the liver.
    > High-fat, low-carbohydrate diet despite the lack of growth of the body
    > mass, modifies significantly the homeostasis of carbohydrates and
    > antioxidants in liver and enhanced production of TG in this organ,
    > resulting in its steatosis.
    >
    > Who loves ya.
    > Tom
    >

    > Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    > http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
    >

    > Man Is A Herbivore!
    > http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore
    >

    > DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
    > http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/deadpeoplewalking

  4. vernon

    vernon Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Metabolic and antioxidative changes in liver steatosis induced by
    > high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet in rabbits.
    > Birkner E, Kasperczyk S, Kasperczyk A, Zalejska-Fiolka J,
    > Zwirska-Korczala K, Stawiarska-Pieta B, Grucka-Mamczar E
    > J Physiol Pharmacol. 2005 Dec ; 56 Suppl 6: 45-58

    Written by someone who just "coins" Atkin's diet without having the
    slightest idea of the complete diet or maximum lengths of time.

  5. montygram

    montygram Guest

    Again, it's about the stressors, not about abstract cateogies
    fabricated by the "nutritional expert" crowd to make themselves feel
    important and obtain financial support. In this case, "high fat diet"
    is the abstraction in question. You can eat all the fresh coconut oil
    you want, for example, but you don't have to worry about free radical
    damage. Another "saturated fat" (again, a misleading abstract
    concept), lard, is indeed dangerous in this context (but it is 39%
    saturated, unlike coconut oil, which is 92% saturated, and thus is much
    more susceptible to lipid peroxidation, particularly considering
    "processing" and the lack of antioxidants),

  6. vernon

    vernon Guest

    "montygram" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Again, it's about the stressors, not about abstract cateogies
    > fabricated by the "nutritional expert" crowd to make themselves feel
    > important and obtain financial support. In this case, "high fat diet"
    > is the abstraction in question. You can eat all the fresh coconut oil
    > you want, for example, but you don't have to worry about free radical
    > damage. Another "saturated fat" (again, a misleading abstract
    > concept), lard, is indeed dangerous in this context (but it is 39%
    > saturated, unlike coconut oil, which is 92% saturated, and thus is much
    > more susceptible to lipid peroxidation, particularly considering
    > "processing" and the lack of antioxidants),

    Very true.

    Carbs are essentially sugar. Ask a diabetic.
    Everyone needs a certain level, not continuing 20 grams per day beyond the
    two week "taste training period" of Atkins.

    Every one knows that eating cholesterol raises blood serum cholesterol.
    Just like everyone knows that if you eat deer horns you will grow horns.

    The main advantage to the so called Atkins diet is to get into the habit of
    eating "other" things.

    An ignorant application of "low fat" flat out kills. Everyone needs certain
    fats to live. Animal fats are not as dangerous as having too much animal
    fats and ignoring all the good fats, Coconut oil being one of the goodies.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Metabolic and antioxidative changes in liver steatosis induced by
    > > high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet in rabbits.
    > > Birkner E, Kasperczyk S, Kasperczyk A, Zalejska-Fiolka J,
    > > Zwirska-Korczala K, Stawiarska-Pieta B, Grucka-Mamczar E
    > > J Physiol Pharmacol. 2005 Dec ; 56 Suppl 6: 45-58
    > >

    > Written by someone who just "coins" Atkin's diet without having the
    > slightest idea of the complete diet or maximum lengths of time.

    <lol> Plus rabbits are NOT human!
    They are made to be vegetarians!!!!!!!

    No rabbit would do well on high fat diet.
    What a crock!
    --
    Om.

  8. vernon

    vernon Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Metabolic and antioxidative changes in liver steatosis induced by
    >> > high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet in rabbits.
    >> > Birkner E, Kasperczyk S, Kasperczyk A, Zalejska-Fiolka J,
    >> > Zwirska-Korczala K, Stawiarska-Pieta B, Grucka-Mamczar E
    >> > J Physiol Pharmacol. 2005 Dec ; 56 Suppl 6: 45-58
    >> >

    >> Written by someone who just "coins" Atkin's diet without having the
    >> slightest idea of the complete diet or maximum lengths of time.
    >>

    > <lol> Plus rabbits are NOT human!
    > They are made to be vegetarians!!!!!!!
    >
    > No rabbit would do well on high fat diet.
    > What a crock!
    > --
    > Om.

    No one wants to quote studies using pigs (the closest to humans in digestion
    systems). Rabbits are cuter.
    It is terrible context to say they are going to switch from one type of pig
    to another.

    > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
    > Nicholson

  9. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Every one knows that eating cholesterol raises blood serum
    cholesterol.
    Just like everyone knows that if you eat deer horns you will grow
    horns."

    <drops his deer horns>

    Oh great, *now* you tell me!!!

    Rob

  10. vernon

    vernon Guest

    "Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Every one knows that eating cholesterol raises blood serum
    > cholesterol.
    > Just like everyone knows that if you eat deer horns you will grow
    > horns."
    >
    > <drops his deer horns>
    >
    > Oh great, *now* you tell me!!!
    >
    > Rob