atkins diet

Buddy Guy wrote:

> check back in a year after you have stopped the diet
> (unless you are one of the types who will stay on the diet
> forever and croak like Atkins did, earlier than the
> expected mortality age for males born in the year he was
> born,obese and with clogged arteries). Everyone at my gym
> who has done Atkins gained most all of their FAT back
> after stopping the diet (most within 4-6 months). What
> ever happened to exercising and eating a balanced diet?
>

> "joad hamed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>matt, i have also been on this diet for 3 months and have
>>lost 35lbs. i agree with you in that it is the best diet.
>>the key to this diet is that you are never hungry. all
>>other diets i have tried in the past limit you to the
>>amount of food you can eat except this one, thats why it
>>is amazing

Buddy...you ask what ever happened to exercising and
eatting a balanced diet? Well let me tell you in our
society and culture of conviencnce people are just plain
and simply too lazy to exercise. Atkins is the easy way out
of having to make responsible food choices and having to
actually invest in a healthy, active, correct lifestyle.
History will look back at this fad diet (because that's
what it is) with an unkind eye once more long term studies
are available and it's found that people on this diet died
prematurely due to clogged arteries, but hey, at least
they'll be THIN and dead.

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:44:46 GMT, Scott Crosbie <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Buddy...you ask what ever happened to exercising and
>eatting a balanced diet? Well let me tell you in our
>society and culture of conviencnce people are just plain
>and simply too lazy to exercise. Atkins is the easy way out
>of having to make responsible food choices and having to
>actually invest in a healthy, active, correct lifestyle.
>History will look back at this fad diet (because that's
>what it is) with an unkind eye once more long term studies
>are available and it's found that people on this diet died
>prematurely due to clogged arteries, but hey, at least
>they'll be THIN and dead.

I don't think so. Studies are showing that lo-carb diets
actually lower serum cholesterol levels:

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/diabetes-5.html http://www.strong-
research.com/website/new_learning.php?id=46

http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/133/1/78 Reduction
of dietary saturated (and trans) fatty acids is of primary
importance in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
There is considerable disagreement, however, as to what
should replace saturated fat, carbohydrates or unsaturated
fat (8 ,10 ). Replacing saturated fat by carbohydrates may
increase serum triacylglycerol and VLDL cholesterol and
reduce HDL cholesterol, as shown here. On the other hand,
dietary changes with increased complex, fiber-rich
carbohydrates are beneficial in efforts to maintain body
weight control (45 ). Replacing saturated by unsaturated
fatty acids will reduce LDL cholesterol and to some extent
also reduce HDL cholesterol but less so than with
carbohydrates, and thus result in a more favorable LDL/HDL
cholesterol ratio. Evidence indicates that both LDL
cholesterol/HDL cholesterol and apoB/apoA-I ratios are
strong risk markers for coronary heart disease (46 ). Only
long-term prospective studies will show which of these
options is to be preferred. In the meantime the results of
recently published prospective studies favor the view that
replacing saturated and trans fatty acids by unsaturated fat
may most effectively reduce the risk of cardiovascular
diseases (2 ). This is also in accord with metabolic studies
(11 ,14 ) and with the results of this study.

In conclusion, we have shown that the HDL cholesterol-
increasing effect of lauric and myristic acids strongly
influences the LDL/HDL cholesterol ratio. The results
support the contention that reduction of dietary saturated
fat high in these fatty acids, without altering the amount
of unsaturated fat, does not appreciably alter serum LDL
cholesterol, increases VLDL cholesterol and increases the
LDL/HDL cholesterol ratio. Thus, the proportions of dietary
fatty acids rather than restriction of the percentage of
saturated fat energy may be of primary importance if the aim
is to reduce the LDL/HDL cholesterol ratio.