Atkins induction phase question?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by R042wal, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. R042wal

    R042wal Guest

    I started the Atkins diet 3 1/2 weeks ago with a target of
    30 lbs. I wanted to lose. In 2 1/2 weeks I lost 14 lbs. and
    I seem to be stagnating. I am still following the induction
    diet, but I have stopped losing weight and my Ketosix have
    stopped changing color. Is this normal? I am not consuming
    any more carbs than I was before. I am getting sick of meat,
    avacodos, mushrooms and spinach. I could tolerate this if I
    was at least losing a few more pounds. Any suggestions?

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "r042wal" <[email protected]_junk_mail_yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I started the Atkins diet 3 1/2 weeks ago with a target
    > of 30 lbs.

    Wow! My target is 170 lbs. I don't think I could make it all
    the ways to 30 lbs. I think my bones weigh more than that.

    > I wanted to lose. In 2 1/2 weeks I lost 14 lbs. and I seem
    > to be stagnating.

    Probably water loss.

    > I am still following the induction diet, but I have
    > stopped losing weight and
    my
    > Ketosix have stopped changing color. Is this normal? I am
    > not consuming any more carbs than I was before. I am
    > getting sick of meat, avacodos, mushrooms and spinach. I
    > could tolerate this if I was at least losing a
    few
    > more pounds. Any suggestions?

    Work with a nutritionist to get a better diet, either an
    Atkins diet that does work for you or a healthier diet that
    works for you.

    BTW, if you want to lose the weight, no matter what, it
    won't be pleasant. But the alternative isn't pleasant
    either, like not being able to play as well with your
    kids and grandkids, and perhaps not being around for
    them. Besides, when you fly on airplanes, you fit in the
    seats better.

    Jeff

    > Thanks

  3. Mirek Fidler

    Mirek Fidler Guest

    > I started the Atkins diet 3 1/2 weeks ago with a target of
    > 30 lbs. I
    wanted

    There is alt.support.diet.low-carb that would be more
    appropriate to ask this quiestion.. :)

    > to lose. In 2 1/2 weeks I lost 14 lbs. and I seem to be
    > stagnating.
    I am
    > still following the induction diet, but I have stopped
    > losing weight
    and my

    Almost everybody stalls 3rd and 4th week. That is normal.

    > Ketosix have stopped changing color. Is this normal?
    > I am not
    consuming
    > any more carbs than I was before.

    Less carbs is not always better. Try to slowly increase
    your carbs - most low-carbers are lossing best somewhere
    between 30-60g.

    > I am getting sick of meat, avacodos, mushrooms and
    > spinach.

    That must be pretty boring, but I think it is also rather
    typical for your "low-carb" phase - I felt like the same.
    Now it is time to open your eyes and find out that "low-
    carb" does not mean "boring". Try new recipes, new kinds of
    food, add berries (strawberries make a big difference :),
    high-fat or regular yougurt, cocoa powder etc, etc...

    > I could tolerate this if I was at least losing a few more
    > pounds. Any suggestions?

    Change attitude. You already lost 14lbs - the most
    important goal for you right now is not to regain them
    again (at least, for me this idea always helped). I would
    rather work on carefully changing your diet to be more
    atttractive for you.

    Your weight loss should resume at 5th week, but do not
    expect as spectacular results as you was experiencing during
    first two weeks. Also, low-carb weight loss is not steady -
    typically you stall for 1-3 weeks and then drop 2-4 lbs
    during several days.

    Unless you stall for more than month, then there is not need
    to worry. Otherwise, post your question to appropriate news-
    group, anyway I am afraid that the anwser will be "eat less,
    excersise more" :)

    Mirek

  4. 17:17:07 Sun, 7 Mar 2004sci.med.nutrition
    r042wal at r042wal <[email protected]_junk_mail_yahoo.com> writes:
    >I started the Atkins diet 3 1/2 weeks ago with a target of
    >30 lbs. I wanted to lose. In 2 1/2 weeks I lost 14 lbs. and
    >I seem to be stagnating. I am still following the induction
    >diet, but I have stopped losing weight and my Ketosix have
    >stopped changing color. Is this normal? I am not consuming
    >any more carbs than I was before. I am getting sick of
    >meat, avacodos, mushrooms and spinach. I could tolerate
    >this if I was at least losing a few more pounds. Any
    >suggestions?

    Doesn't Atkins say to do the induction phase for only 2
    weeks anyway, then begin increasing the carbs? You need to
    be taking vitamin and mineral supplements and exercising
    too. Are you doing Atkins, or your own version of it?

    The normal pattern is to lose some weight, stall for a
    while, then lose some more. Me, I stall for two months, then
    lose a bit over a few days, then stall again (but I'm on
    maintenance phase). I would say, get out of the induction
    phase and begin the next phase, as the book advises.

    The ketostix will show ketones if you are not burning them,
    as I understand it. Perhaps this means that you are now in
    ketosis (i.e., using fat as your primary fuel) and the
    induction phase has done its job of switching you into fat-
    burning mode. Now eat enough fat to provide fuel for that
    process, and exercise so you don't lose protein (muscle) at
    the same time (or instead), otherwise you will lose weight,
    but gain a scrawny, starved appearance.
    --
    Martin Thompson [email protected] (use "martin" not
    "bin") London, UK Home Page: http://www.tucana.demon.co.uk

    "Everything I do and say with anyone makes a difference."
    Gita Bellin

  5. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    "r042wal" <[email protected]_junk_mail_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I started the Atkins diet 3 1/2 weeks ago with a target of
    > 30 lbs. I wanted to lose. In 2 1/2 weeks I lost 14 lbs.
    > and I seem to be stagnating. I am still following the
    > induction diet, but I have stopped losing weight and my
    > Ketosix have stopped changing color. Is this normal? I am
    > not consuming any more carbs than I was before. I am
    > getting sick of meat, avacodos, mushrooms and spinach. I
    > could tolerate this if I was at least losing a few more
    > pounds. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks

    How about maybe posting this to a more appropriate ng like:

    alt.support.diet.low-carb

    TC

  6. Moosh:)

    Moosh:) Guest

    On 11 Mar 2004 06:42:26 -0800, [email protected] (tcomeau) posted:

    >"r042wal" <[email protected]_junk_mail_yahoo.com> wrote
    >in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I started the Atkins diet 3 1/2 weeks ago with a target
    >> of 30 lbs. I wanted to lose. In 2 1/2 weeks I lost 14
    >> lbs. and I seem to be stagnating. I am still following
    >> the induction diet, but I have stopped losing weight and
    >> my Ketosix have stopped changing color. Is this normal? I
    >> am not consuming any more carbs than I was before. I am
    >> getting sick of meat, avacodos, mushrooms and spinach. I
    >> could tolerate this if I was at least losing a few more
    >> pounds. Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    >How about maybe posting this to a more appropriate ng like:
    >
    >alt.support.diet.low-carb
    >
    >TC

    Embarrassed?

    Eat a varied, wholefood diet ,and you won't likely go wrong.
    Age-old advice for free!