Atrial Fib

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Larry, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Well this is interesting. I've had transient episodes of
    Atrial Fib ... once in 1985 (resolved before I got to the
    ER) and once in 1994 (took about 3-4 days on I think
    Procainamide?). Last night, it happened again. I knew it
    instantly. I am a 47 y/o male with no other hx of cardiac
    problems. Cholesterol consistently in the 140-160 range with
    HDL consistently in the 40-55 range. I run 1 miles @ 5.5 mph
    on the treadmill 3X/week. Normal ECG every year at physical.
    Echocardiagram in 1994 showed no abnormalities.

    Went to ER last night. They spend 5 hours trying to get me
    to convert, with no luck. CK-Total, CK-MB, Troponin all
    normal. Administered Cardiazem IV 20mg followed by a drip,
    and Corvert 1mg IV times 2. No luck, although they got my
    resting rate down to 60-90 bpm. BP was about
    120/60. They sent me home after consulting with on-call
    Cardiologist who said that since I've had it twice
    before, it would probably be ok to release me. I
    asked them if I should get either Heparin or
    Coumadin, and the ER doc said he didn't think I
    needed it ... as I am a healthy 47
    y/o. He gave me a Diltiazem CD Extended Release 240mg to
    take once Saturday and once Sunday. Unfortunately
    it's Saturday, so I'll have to wait till Monday to
    see a Cardiologist. I'm ok, it's just that it's a bit
    uncomfortable to have this "jumping around" feeling
    in my chest.

    Questions:

    1. What should I avoid or limit over the weekend? The ER doc
    said I could even do my treadmill run today, but I have
    chosen not to. Do I need to stay in the house?
    2. What is the drug of choice to convert AF?
    3. Is it less likely that I will convert on my own over the
    next few days since I didn't do so within the first few
    hours after being administered Cardiazem and Corvert?
    4. Would the next step likely be electric conversion, or
    would I go for Ablation?
    5. Any idea why this seems to happen in an otherwise-healthy
    person once every 10 years or so?

    Thanks for any help.

    Larry

    Tags:

  2. listener

    listener Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:19:55 GMT, Larry <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Questions:
    >
    >1. What should I avoid or limit over the weekend? The ER
    > doc said I could even do my treadmill run today, but I
    > have chosen not to. Do I need to stay in the house?

    With your afib rate-contolled I would think you can proceed
    as normal. I wouldn't drink tons of coffee or alcohol of
    course and other such triggers.

    >2. What is the drug of choice to convert AF?

    There are quite a few, like sotalol, flecainide,
    tikosyn, etc...

    >3. Is it less likely that I will convert on my own over the
    > next few days since I didn't do so within the first few
    > hours after being administered Cardiazem and Corvert?

    Probably so, but with afib you never really know.

    >4. Would the next step likely be electric conversion, or
    > would I go for Ablation?

    That's up to you, really. EC is an option. Ablation is a
    promising way to go but sucess rates vary widely (40-80%) so
    you really have to do your homework on that. Some opt to
    simply stay in rate-controlled afib, assuming they don't
    feel the quality of life is diminsihed. The AFFIRM study
    looked at rate vs rhythm control and surprisingly showed
    that rate control is a positive option.

    >5. Any idea why this seems to happen in an otherwise-
    > healthy person once every 10 years or so?

    Sorry, no.

    Be sure to check out the Yahoo AFIBsupport group:

    It's a well run, moderated site with very helpful people
    (over 1000 members at the moment).

    L.