Attaching 9 speed downtube Dura Ace shifters to old frame

I hope to add 9speed Dura Ace 9 speed downtube shifters to an old
Reynolds frame. Problem is there are no brazed on boss' to attach the
levers to. Frame is already spread to 130mm. I might have a frame
builder braze them on but in the short term I was hoping to find a
clamp. Does one exist? I thought about using my old Suntour shift
levers (just the clamp part) but they do not have the square base that
is needed. Would the old Campy shift levers use a clamp that would be
compatible?

Thanks,

Steve

[email protected] wrote:
> I hope to add 9speed Dura Ace 9 speed downtube shifters to an old
> Reynolds frame. Problem is there are no brazed on boss' to attach the
> levers to. Frame is already spread to 130mm. I might have a frame
> builder braze them on but in the short term I was hoping to find a
> clamp. Does one exist? I thought about using my old Suntour shift
> levers (just the clamp part) but they do not have the square base that
> is needed. Would the old Campy shift levers use a clamp that would be
> compatible?

Most bolt-on shifter mounts have annoying incompatibilities with the
Campagnolo Ergo type cable stops which are designed to cover a brazed
shift boss. The chromed Shimano double cable stop works fine as long as
your bike is 28.6mm tube. Since the Shimano stop doesn't have adjusters,
an inline cable adjuster set is a handy adjunct.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Jul 10, 2:13 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I hope to add 9speed Dura Ace 9 speed downtube shifters to an old
> > Reynolds frame. Problem is there are no brazed on boss' to attach the
> > levers to. Frame is already spread to 130mm. I might have a frame
> > builder braze them on but in the short term I was hoping to find a
> > clamp. Does one exist? I thought about using my old Suntour shift
> > levers (just the clamp part) but they do not have the square base that
> > is needed. Would the old Campy shift levers use a clamp that would be
> > compatible?

> Most bolt-on shifter mounts have annoying incompatibilities with the
> Campagnolo Ergo type cable stops which are designed to cover a brazed
> shift boss. The chromed Shimano double cable stop works fine as long as
> your bike is 28.6mm tube. Since the Shimano stop doesn't have adjusters,
> an inline cable adjuster set is a handy adjunct.
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

But the OP doesn't want to use ergos/STIs...is there a set of clamp-on
shifters that will allow you to reuse the band with SIS downtube
levers?

Hank Wirtz wrote:
> But the OP doesn't want to use ergos/STIs...is there a set of clamp-on
> shifters that will allow you to reuse the band with SIS downtube
> levers?

Yikes! I misread that. Any post-1983 Shimano clamp style shifter set (6,
7, 8) has the band and inner plates compatible to that shifter. No
current product. Sorry.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

How about bar-end shifters.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I hope to add 9speed Dura Ace 9 speed downtube shifters to an old
> Reynolds frame. Problem is there are no brazed on boss' to attach the
> levers to. Frame is already spread to 130mm. I might have a frame
> builder braze them on but in the short term I was hoping to find a
> clamp. Does one exist? I thought about using my old Suntour shift
> levers (just the clamp part) but they do not have the square base that
> is needed. Would the old Campy shift levers use a clamp that would be
> compatible?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

That's great. I'll start looking at the local used parts bins at the
local shops.

Thanks,

Steve

On Jul 10, 5:43 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > A Muzi <[email protected]> blathered:
> >> Most bolt-on shifter mounts have annoying incompatibilities with the
> >> Campagnolo Ergo type cable stops which are designed to cover a brazed
> >> shift boss. The chromed Shimano double cable stop works fine as long as
> >> your bike is 28.6mm tube. Since the Shimano stop doesn't have adjusters,
> >> an inline cable adjuster set is a handy adjunct.

> Hank Wirtz wrote:
> > But the OP doesn't want to use ergos/STIs...is there a set of clamp-on
> > shifters that will allow you to reuse the band with SIS downtube
> > levers?

> Yikes! I misread that. Any post-1983 Shimano clamp style shifter set (6,
> 7, 8) has the band and inner plates compatible to that shifter. No
> current product. Sorry.
>
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971- Hide quoted text -

Bar ends are great, I got them on my commuter. I just want to keep the
classic look going on a vintage frame. In fact it's the bar ends that
convinced me indexing is a good thing!

Steve