Attaching a rear light to a Blackburn EX1 rack

Zog The Undenia

Guest
So how is it done? My MTN1 rack had a hole in the load
platform, to which I attached a steel L-bracket for the
Cateye TL-AU100BS. The EX1 (which I need for the child seat)
has no platform, just a couple of rods welded together at
the back. No holes, no flat bits, no nothing.

The seatpin isn't an option because the light will be
obscured by the rack pack when it's fitted.

Any suggestions?

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> So how is it done? My MTN1 rack had a hole in the load
> platform, to which I attached a steel L-bracket for the
> Cateye TL-AU100BS. The EX1 (which I need for the child
> seat) has no platform, just a couple of rods welded
> together at the back. No holes, no flat bits, no nothing.
>
> The seatpin isn't an option because the light will be
> obscured by the rack pack when it's fitted.
>
> Any suggestions?

I use that rack and I have that light. But I have to mount
it on the seatpost and use an AU-600 (?- the long thin one)
on the rack - it has a user friendly mounting system that
can be fitted to either horizontal or vertical struts and
still have the light whichever way round is required. Not
much help I know......

tony R.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:01:28 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>So how is it done? My MTN1 rack had a hole in the load
>platform, to which I attached a steel L-bracket for the
>Cateye TL-AU100BS. The EX1 (which I need for the child
>seat) has no platform, just a couple of rods welded
>together at the back. No holes, no flat bits, no nothing.
>
>The seatpin isn't an option because the light will be
>obscured by the rack pack when it's fitted.
>
>Any suggestions?

I bought a Vistalite rear light (£8), and then a 95p metal
bracket that loops around the thin metal bar of the outside
rim of the rack.

(E.B.C. sell the same bracket for £3.95, and do stock the
Vistalite) (Biketrax sell the bracket for 95p, but
don't stock the Vistalite)

I had to put some left-over rubber on the inside of the
bracket to make it grip the rack well, and I had to remove
one of the three plastic lugs from the light.)

I did this because my seatpost lights get obscured by my
wean's child-seat.

If you're interested enough that you'd like to see piccies
to help grasp what I've wittered on about, let me know, and
I'll take 'em and web 'em for you.

--
Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122 Smalltalk

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<40f02d9c.0@entanet>...
> So how is it done? My MTN1 rack had a hole in the load
> platform, to which I attached a steel L-bracket for the
> Cateye TL-AU100BS. The EX1 (which I need for the child
> seat) has no platform, just a couple of rods welded
> together at the back. No holes, no flat bits, no nothing.
>
> The seatpin isn't an option because the light will be
> obscured by the rack pack when it's fitted.
>
> Any suggestions?

Pletscher (or was it ESGE?) used to make a really handy
little thingamybob just for this sort of problem. It was
aluminium, had a C-shaped end with a tapered screw at one
end for gripping a stay on a rack and screw holes at the
other for fitting lights at different orientations. Very
small and neat.

I'd love to find one myself, but not sure they're made any
more. Haven't seen one in about ten years. Sorry that's not
a very helpful answer. The only alternative I can think of
is faffing about with P-clips and suchlike.

In message
<[email protected]>, Norm
<[email protected]> writes
>Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> So how is it done? My MTN1 rack had a hole in the load
>> platform, to which I attached a steel L-bracket for the
>> Cateye TL-AU100BS. The EX1 (which I need for the child
>> seat) has no platform, just a couple of rods welded
>> together at the back. No holes, no flat bits, no nothing.
>>
>> The seatpin isn't an option because the light will be
>> obscured by the rack pack when it's fitted.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
>Pletscher (or was it ESGE?)

ESGE.

>used to make a really handy little thingamybob just for
>this sort of problem. It was aluminium, had a C-shaped end
>with a tapered screw at one end for gripping a stay on a
>rack and screw holes at the other for fitting lights at
>different orientations. Very small and neat.

Indeed, I've got a couple on bikes, though really best for
mounting lamps that fit with a bolt through the lamp
perpendicular to the bike.

>I'd love to find one myself, but not sure they're made
>any more.

Dunno if they are made but I've seen them advertised - a
quick Google has this page:

<http://www.byercycles.co.uk/16.htm>

(scroll down past the Minoura Space grip) - no piccie
I'm afraid.

The one listed below might be useful as well, depending on
what it is, it sounds a bit like the bracket that came with
my Axa Optica rear lamp
- which has the standard European twin bolt fixing at 50mm
(or is it 80?)

Bolts around the back of the frame with P clips, and lamp
bolts to that

I'd guess Spa Cycles may well have some. and of course SJSC:

<http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?cat127.htm>

They also have some other potential brackets.

and there is of course the good old 'Meccano' strip like
used to come with the EverReady nightrider lamps, not neat
looking, but effective.

--
Chris French, Leeds

Gawnsoft wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:01:28 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
> <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):
>
>> So how is it done? My MTN1 rack had a hole in the load
>> platform, to which I attached a steel L-bracket for the
>> Cateye TL-AU100BS. The EX1 (which I need for the child
>> seat) has no platform, just a couple of rods welded
>> together at the back. No holes, no flat bits, no nothing.
>>
>> The seatpin isn't an option because the light will be
>> obscured by the rack pack when it's fitted.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> I bought a Vistalite rear light (£8), and then a 95p metal
> bracket that loops around the thin metal bar of the
> outside rim of the rack.

Sounds like my solution. I have no idea what model my
Blackburn rack is. I scratch built the bracket from a piece
of aluminium, long enough for the reflector, that came with
the bike and its original chromed steel rack, and a oval
shaped light by Cateye I think. My vistalight would also fit
I am sure.

> So how is it done? My MTN1 rack had a hole in the load
> platform, to which I attached a steel L-bracket for the
> Cateye TL-AU100BS. The EX1 (which I need for the child
> seat) has no platform, just a couple of rods welded
> together at the back. No holes, no flat bits, no nothing.
>
> The seatpin isn't an option because the light will be
> obscured by the rack pack when it's fitted.
>
> Any suggestions?

You could drill a couple of holes between the two rods
(little ones, obviously - m3/m4?) and mount something
using those. Obviously taking care not to do anything to
weaken it.

cheers, clive