Attacked and chased by hoodies!



M

Mike Causer

Guest
Riding this morning through what I thought was a peaceful pastoral area I
encountered a couple of hoodies.
http://www.mikecauser.com/images/lurking_hoodie.jpg

They stepped into my path, and one gripped my handlebars & shook them.
http://www.mikecauser.com/images/mmmmm_tasty_handlebars.jpg

Then I felt the bike being pulled backwards as the other tried to get the
bag off the rack. So I promptly pedalled off, listening to them trotting
behind :-(((((((

Luckily their parents were nearby and called them off.
http://www.mikecauser.com/images/adults.jpg


It's a jungle out there!



Mike
 
D

David Martin

Guest
Mike Causer wrote:
> Riding this morning through what I thought was a peaceful pastoral area I
> encountered a couple of hoodies.
> http://www.mikecauser.com/images/lurking_hoodie.jpg
>
> They stepped into my path, and one gripped my handlebars & shook them.
> http://www.mikecauser.com/images/mmmmm_tasty_handlebars.jpg
>
> Then I felt the bike being pulled backwards as the other tried to get the
> bag off the rack. So I promptly pedalled off, listening to them trotting
> behind :-(((((((
>
> Luckily their parents were nearby and called them off.
> http://www.mikecauser.com/images/adults.jpg
>


Not an urban myth. We're getting it straight from the horses mouth..

...d
 
T

Tony Raven

Guest
Mike Causer wrote on 14/09/2006 21:21 +0100:
> Riding this morning through what I thought was a peaceful pastoral area I
> encountered a couple of hoodies.
> http://www.mikecauser.com/images/lurking_hoodie.jpg
>
> They stepped into my path, and one gripped my handlebars & shook them.
> http://www.mikecauser.com/images/mmmmm_tasty_handlebars.jpg
>
> Then I felt the bike being pulled backwards as the other tried to get the
> bag off the rack. So I promptly pedalled off, listening to them trotting
> behind :-(((((((
>
> Luckily their parents were nearby and called them off.
> http://www.mikecauser.com/images/adults.jpg
>
>
> It's a jungle out there!
>


When they asked for your wallet did you pony up?

--
Tony

"Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
- Leonardo da Vinci
 
Thus spake David Martin ([email protected]) unto the assembled multitudes:

> Not an urban myth. We're getting it straight from the horses mouth..


Neigh, neigh and thrice neigh!


--

Andy Clews
University of Sussex
Remove DENTURES if replying by email
 
A

Andreas Schulze-Bäing

Guest
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:21:36 +0100, Mike Causer wrote:

> Riding this morning through what I thought was a peaceful pastoral area I
> encountered a couple of hoodies.


I wonder if they have ever been ASBOed? :)

Andreas
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, Alan Braggins
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Mike Causer wrote:
>>Riding this morning through what I thought was a peaceful pastoral area I
>>encountered a couple of hoodies.
>> http://www.mikecauser.com/images/lurking_hoodie.jpg

>
> At this point I was expecting something more like
> http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/hoodedcrow_tcm3-20979.jpg
> and wondered if you had been on holiday...


Those were so common in my childhood, but now they must be practically an
endangered species. I haven't seen one in thirty years.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
 
M

Mike Causer

Guest
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:48:14 +0100, Simon Brooke wrote:


>> At this point I was expecting something more like
>> http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/hoodedcrow_tcm3-20979.jpg and wondered if
>> you had been on holiday...

>
> Those were so common in my childhood, but now they must be practically an
> endangered species. I haven't seen one in thirty years.


North-West Scotland & Ireland only, according to the distribution map at
http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/h/hoodedcrow/index.asp
(RSPB have done a good job on this website.)

I've seen them in Ireland and around Oban, and they're plentiful enough
there.


Mike "Still looking for the Montys that are in the area...."
 
T

Tosspot

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
> Thus spake David Martin ([email protected]) unto the assembled multitudes:
>
>
>>Not an urban myth. We're getting it straight from the horses mouth..

>
> Neigh, neigh and thrice neigh!


Someone ought to hoof it over there and shoe 'em who's boss.
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>,
Mike Causer ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:48:14 +0100, Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>
>>> At this point I was expecting something more like
>>> http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/hoodedcrow_tcm3-20979.jpg and wondered if
>>> you had been on holiday...

>>
>> Those were so common in my childhood, but now they must be practically
>> an endangered species. I haven't seen one in thirty years.

>
> North-West Scotland & Ireland only, according to the distribution map at
> http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/h/hoodedcrow/index.asp
> (RSPB have done a good job on this website.)


H'mmmm... when I was a kid they were common in the Lothians and Fife, for
sure - and not that exceptional around here.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
"This young man has not the faintest idea how socialists think and does
not begin to understand the mentality of the party he has been elected
to lead. He is quite simply a liberal"
-- Ken Coates MEP (Lab) of Tony Blair
 
M

Mike Causer

Guest
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:37:59 +0200, Tosspot wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>> Thus spake David Martin ([email protected]) unto the
>> assembled multitudes:
>>
>>
>>>Not an urban myth. We're getting it straight from the horses mouth..

>>
>> Neigh, neigh and thrice neigh!

>
> Someone ought to hoof it over there and shoe 'em who's boss.


On their current form they'll Fend you off with a Wicken grin on their
mugs.



Mike
 
B

Brian G

Guest
Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>,
> Mike Causer ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:48:14 +0100, Simon Brooke wrote:
>>
>>
>>>> At this point I was expecting something more like
>>>> http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/hoodedcrow_tcm3-20979.jpg and wondered if
>>>> you had been on holiday...
>>> Those were so common in my childhood, but now they must be practically
>>> an endangered species. I haven't seen one in thirty years.

>> North-West Scotland & Ireland only, according to the distribution map at
>> http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/h/hoodedcrow/index.asp
>> (RSPB have done a good job on this website.)

>
> H'mmmm... when I was a kid they were common in the Lothians and Fife, for
> sure - and not that exceptional around here.
>


Really? When I was a young man living in Argyll, there was a pretty
clear demarcation line when I drove towards Stirling and points east. I
rarely if ever saw a hoodie craw to the east of Loch Lomond. Come to
think of it, I never saw a magpie there either but they're commonplace now.

--
Brian G
 
J

Julesh

Guest
Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Alan Braggins
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>
>>Mike Causer wrote:
>>
>>>Riding this morning through what I thought was a peaceful pastoral area I
>>>encountered a couple of hoodies.
>>> http://www.mikecauser.com/images/lurking_hoodie.jpg

>>
>>At this point I was expecting something more like
>>http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/hoodedcrow_tcm3-20979.jpg
>>and wondered if you had been on holiday...

>
>
> Those were so common in my childhood, but now they must be practically an
> endangered species. I haven't seen one in thirty years.
>

They are really common in Northern Italy, or at the least the bit I get
to spend quite an amount of time in on the west side of the Appennines.
They are just about the only member of the crow family I've ever seen
there as there seems to be no carrion crows, rooks or magpies in the
area, just the occasional jay.

A couple of weeks ago I heard a large amount of aeriel cawing and looked
up to see three crows trying to see off a circling eagle by diving at
it. The eagle (we have a small colony locally) seemed totally
unconcerned and continued to fly in circles, doing none of this common
flapping business, while gaining height on each loop. Eventually the
crows gave up, presumably the eagle was either no longer considered a
threat or had exceeded their maximum ceiling and flapped off. About half
an hour later five eagles could be seen lazily flying circles at
different heights from about 400ft to over 2000ft.


Julesh