Attacked by a tree

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gabike, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. Gabike

    Gabike Guest

    I was on my usual ride today when I rode through a Civil War battlefield, the road is heavily lined
    with trees and the recent pine beetle infestation has killed many of them. It was a one way road and
    there were no cars behind me so I was taking the middle of the road when I heard a BANG!. I looked
    to my right and a tree trunk (the top part had previously fallen off) landed no less than a foot
    from me. It was about 20 feet tall and approx 1ft diamiter. It was so close that I got pelted with
    splinters and bark. Another rider who saw it road up to make sure I was ok. If I were 1 ft closer to
    the right edge, it would have gotten me. What a way to go.

    Tags:

  2. I hate it when that happens.

    --Bill Davidson
    --
    Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

    I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

  3. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "GABIKE" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was on my usual ride today when I rode through a Civil War battlefield,
    the
    > road is heavily lined with trees and the recent pine beetle infestation
    has
    > killed many of them. It was a one way road and there were no cars behind
    me so
    > I was taking the middle of the road when I heard a BANG!. I looked to my
    right
    > and a tree trunk (the top part had previously fallen off) landed no less
    than
    > a foot from me. It was about 20 feet tall and approx 1ft diamiter. It was
    so
    > close that I got pelted with splinters and bark. Another rider who saw it road up to make sure I
    > was ok. If I were 1 ft
    closer
    > to the right edge, it would have gotten me. What a way to go.

    Cyclist to St. Peter at the Pearly Gates: "I was just riding along..."

    Bill "no warranties on SOME things" S.

  4. Wayne Menzie

    Wayne Menzie Guest

  5. [email protected] (GABIKE) wrote:
    >I was taking the middle of the road when I heard a BANG!. I looked to my right and a tree trunk
    >(the top part had previously fallen off) landed no less than a foot from me. It was about 20 feet
    >tall and approx 1ft diamiter. It was so close that I got pelted with splinters and bark.

    It could've been much worse... go to http://groups.google.com and use the search words "Robert
    Park" & "tree"

    p.s. It all starts with "What's New for Sep 15, 2000"

  6. Rivermist

    Rivermist Guest

    You should have gone right out and bought a lottery ticket.

    "GABIKE" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was on my usual ride today when I rode through a Civil War battlefield,
    the
    > road is heavily lined with trees and the recent pine beetle infestation
    has
    > killed many of them. It was a one way road and there were no cars behind
    me so
    > I was taking the middle of the road when I heard a BANG!. I looked to my
    right
    > and a tree trunk (the top part had previously fallen off) landed no less
    than
    > a foot from me. It was about 20 feet tall and approx 1ft diamiter. It was
    so
    > close that I got pelted with splinters and bark. Another rider who saw it road up to make sure I
    > was ok. If I were 1 ft
    closer
    > to the right edge, it would have gotten me. What a way to go.

  7. Gabike

    Gabike Guest

    >You should have gone right out and bought a lottery ticket.

    Nah, I may only have so much luck stored up and I will be riding through the area again. Id rather
    have my head than a winning ticket.

  8. Bgaudet0801

    Bgaudet0801 Guest

    "GABIKE" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >........I looked to my right and a tree trunk (the top part had previously fallen off)
    >landed no less
    than
    > a foot from me. It was about 20 feet tall and approx 1ft diamiter. It was
    so
    > close that I got pelted with splinters and bark. Another rider who saw it road up to make sure I
    > was ok. If I were 1 ft
    closer
    > to the right edge, it would have gotten me. What a way to go.

    Can't say I've ever had that happen to me. I've see more than a few trees that had fallen, at some
    point in the past, across previously obstacle free trails, attacked by irate birds protecting their
    nests, even been so into the zone that a stationary parked car jumps out in front of me. But never
    attacked by a tree.