Attention: All anal-retentatives: The Count of Sesame Street wants to know

On 29-Dec-2003, Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote:

> Joe Keenan wrote:
>

> > My goal in a "training for PBP year" was 7,500 miles. It looks like I'll end up with 6,977 miles
> > for the year. My normal year is 2,500 to 2,700. Shows what training for a big event can do.
> > Yikes!!!
> >

> Larry Varney

> I honestly haven't checked to see how many miles I rode this year. I haven't set any goals that
> specific, and I'm worried what might happen if I did - the number of miles might become more
> important than the actual riding!

I am with you Larry, i broke my odometer in early spring, and have not fixed it [ lazy i guess ] and
it has been the best thing to happen to me. Now i can ride for the fun of it and not be a slave to
the numbers.

I have probably done about the same amount of riding as last year, judging by the frequency and
distance of the rides, to answer the question.

I guess i am a laid back anal retentive...

Daniel Payne West Chester, Pa

Mark Leuck <[email protected]> wrote:
> Being someone who is from Indiana you aren't kidding! Why they can't do daylight savings is
> beyond me

But wait, there's more!

The northwest six counties (Lake, Newton, Porter, Jasper, LaPorte, and Starke) observe Central Time
with daylight savings, thus, clocks there stay in sync with Chicago.

The southwest five counties (Posey, Gibson, Vanderburgh, Warrick, and Spencer) are also CST/CDT.

But that's not all!

In the southeast, Clark, Floyd, and Harrison Counties (near Louisville, KY) along with Ohio and
Dearborn Counties (near Cincinnati, OH), all observe EST/EDT.

The remaining 77 counties are EST-only. Confused yet?

You almost need to have a multi-dial watch if you live in southern Indiana. :eek:)

--
Russ [email protected] the wabbit to despam "Now that the British
military has foresworn the use of depleted uranium, their army is looking at ways of propelling

Well I didn't exactly set a mileage goal for the year, but I did try to ride a bike to work every
workday instead of using my large fuel-guzzler pickup. I'm plenty anal-retentative enough to track
all my miles, times and ave speed. I will end up (I'm including tomorrow) with 3323 commuter miles
(personally I think commuter miles should somehow count for more credit) but only 406.6 recreational
miles. That makes roughly 3730 miles or 5967 km total.

Brian 02 RANS Tailwind with a fairing (1118 miles this year including tommorow) 02 RANS V-Rex
(1239.4 miles this year) Raleigh MTB (998.1 miles this year--shoot, I had I noticed this figure
earlier I would have rode it once more. But not tomorrow, I want to sit behind my Taiwind's fairing
when it's 20 deg F) Cannondale CAAD 3 Road Bike (374.1 miles this year)

Is that anal-rententive enough?

> After todays ride of 28.2 miles with 934 feet of climbing, I have since May 10, 2003, on my
> Aero, 2559 miles.

I have put only around 1000 on my lonely R40. I generally do 50 miles to work, then maybe 20-50 on
Saturday, unless my knee says "no". I have continually been plagued by that cussed bad knee. I
thought maybe time and conditioning would toughen it up so I could do some touring, but no joy.
'Course it's had time... since 1963... to get better.

> And it has a new Christmas present

I got one of them new-fangled CO2 tire-filler thingees. We have lots of goat-heads, particularly
when you ride at night. They come out at night you know. And I got a Forever Flashlight that has no
batteries, and has an LED light in it. Shake it for a while and it puts out a goodly light. Enough
to see by, not enough to pierce the dark, emblazen the hills with shattering beams of white light.
No, but functional. No batteries to wear out.

"Russ Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Mark Leuck <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Being someone who is from Indiana you aren't kidding! Why they can't do daylight savings is
> > beyond me
>
> But wait, there's more!
>
> The northwest six counties (Lake, Newton, Porter, Jasper, LaPorte, and Starke) observe Central
> Time with daylight savings, thus, clocks there stay in sync with Chicago.
>
> The southwest five counties (Posey, Gibson, Vanderburgh, Warrick, and Spencer) are also CST/CDT.

I lived in west/central Indiana for 24 years and didn't know that until a few months ago.

> But that's not all!
>
> In the southeast, Clark, Floyd, and Harrison Counties (near Louisville, KY) along with Ohio and
> Dearborn Counties (near Cincinnati, OH), all observe EST/EDT.
>
> The remaining 77 counties are EST-only. Confused yet?
>
> You almost need to have a multi-dial watch if you live in southern Indiana. :eek:)

I can understand the Chicago/Cincinnati area counties doing that, what I don't understand is why the
rest of the state doesn't do it

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:33:15 GMT, "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>berlin.de...
>>

>> Indiana is a funny place - what time is it in Indiana is not a trivial question.
>
>Being someone who is from Indiana you aren't kidding! Why they can't do daylight savings is
>beyond me

And I can't understand why anyone would want to bother changing clocks twice a year. Seems
silly to me.

Someone told me that the farmers were the most opposed to DST, they are going to be out working by
sunrise no matter what the clock says, and prefer that they can do shopping and such in the evening.

A friend was in Guatemala with the Peace Corps when the govenment instituted daylight savings time.
A running joke if you asked someone the timewas 'Rooster time or Donkey time?' Rooster time being
'natural' time and Donkey (A**) being 'government time.

Mike

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Well I didn't exactly set a mileage goal for the year, but I did try to ride a bike to work every
> workday instead of using my large fuel-guzzler pickup. I'm plenty anal-retentative enough to track
> all my miles, times and ave speed. I will end up (I'm including tomorrow) with 3323 commuter miles
> (personally I think commuter miles should somehow count for more credit) but only 406.6
> recreational miles. That makes roughly 3730 miles or 5967 km total.
>
> Is that anal-rententive enough?

Well, I never thought of breaking out the commuting miles vs. 'just fer fun' miles. I did register
108 r/t to work on my bike this year. I'll have to add a special category in 2004 to track
commuting miles.

Since I got my new car in June of 2000, I have put ~11,000 miles on it and ~18,000 biker miles.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Cletus Lee wrote:
> >
> >>I honestly haven't checked to see how many miles I rode this year. I haven't set any goals...
> >>

> > Hey, Didn't you read the subject line? From your statement, it doesn't sound like you are
> > included.
>
> Oh, I'm plenty "anal-retentative" - but just not when it comes to setting specific mileage
> goals. I guess it's partly due to knowing that I'd feel somewhat guilty if I didn't reach those
> goals.

For the same reason, I cover my odometer during the week, else I would be looking at the damned
thing all the time, calculating how many more miles till I reached .... But, I can not let go of a
habit for recording my mileage at the end of the week.

Trike: 2551 miles in 2003 Walking ~ 600 miles in 2003

I estimated in a similar msg last year that I would reach about 2500 triking miles this year. I was
closer than I would have guessed.

Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

"Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, I never thought of breaking out the commuting miles vs. 'just fer
fun' miles. I did
> register 108 r/t to work on my bike this year. I'll have to add a special
category in 2004 to
> track commuting miles.
>
> Since I got my new car in June of 2000, I have put ~11,000 miles on it and
~18,000 biker miles.

> --
>
> Cletus D. Lee

I started breaking out my commuter miles to justify the cost of my bike toys. According to
Edmunds.com, a pickup truck like mine costs $0.52 per mile to operate (includes fuel, oil, mileage
depreciation, MTX, repair, insurance, financing, etc). Taking out insurance and financing, which I'm
paying anyway, it still comes to $0.37 per mile to drive. So by multiplying .37 and my commuter
miles, I can figure out how much I saved in $$$ (not to mention the community benefits like reducing
pollution and traffic congestion). This helps justify even more bike toys (especially to my wife)
like maybe the new RANS dual 650 I saw today on RANS' website.

Brian