Attention Pumpers: What do you know about the forthcoming MiniMed

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Bay Area Dave, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. that's the question. all I know is it is a pump and glucose
    monitor all rolled into one unit. anyone got a picture or
    other info?

    dave

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:26:44 GMT, in misc.health.diabetes Bay Area Dave
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>that's the question. all I know is it is a pump and
    >>glucose monitor all=
    =20
    >>rolled into one unit. anyone got a picture or other info?
    >>
    >>dave

    Don't know about the 515, but if they've combined a pump
    with a meter all= in one, i hope they do a slicker job than
    the bd meter they've tied to my = new 712 paradigm pump. I
    like the pump well enough, but the meter sucks. It, = and
    it's case, are way to big for convenient carrying, yet the
    vial they put the = strips in is too small for even a small
    finger, making it tricky as hell to get = a strip out of the
    vial. Then the slot into which the strip fits in the meter
    is= hard to see, and a bit hard to find, at least when the
    light isn't so good. = Just not a good design. But the real
    kicker is that I don't think it's accurate. = I've got
    several meters already, and have been comparing them to the
    bd. = Yesterday, feelling a little jittery, I wondered if
    I'd maybe overbolused, and = checked with the bd meter. It
    beeped, and reported a bg of 140. Sent that via radio = link
    to the pump. All well and good. The pump suggested a bolus
    to bring it = back down. I, however, damn well know what an
    impending hypo feels like, even if the feelings aren't that
    reliable any more. So on a hunch, I checked again = with
    both my lifescan meter and my therasense one. These two
    reported a bg of respectively, 77 and 81, which rather
    matched well with how I felt. So I retested with the bd
    meter too, and this time it reported 102. All this = within
    the span of a couple minutes, without another bolus or carb
    intake. =20

    Much though I like the bit of the meter automatically
    sending the reading= to the pump, frankly, I'm kinda
    deciding not to use the bd meter, and go back to= my
    thereasense tracker, which though it doesn't radio link to
    the pump, = makes keeping a logbook a lot simpler for me.
    And since actually doing = anything with the bg reading the
    pump recieves still requires pushing some buttons on = the
    pump, I don't think I'm missing too much of a feature.

    Any thoughts?

    Peter Rowe Seattle (new to the group, but not to diabetes.
    37 years T1. first wore a pump = in the early 80s (the big
    blue brick I'm told it was called, though i recall a =
    charcoal color. Autosyringe brand... Had to go off it again
    after a couple years= after getting too many adhesions and
    knots in the fatty tissue due to = irritation from the steel
    infusion needles. Only just recently figured things had
    gotton= better in the years since, and no longer happy with
    A1C. It used to be around = 7, but has slowly edged up to
    7.4. Endo isn't too unhappy, but I'd prefer = lower. Niaspan
    prolly has something to do with it, as did the sometimes
    dramatic= spikes I'd get. Hopeing the pump will let me
    better control things.)

  3. Peter, relax, I'd imagine the technology will be either
    identical to or similar to the Guardian CGM, NOT the
    stupid BD meter!

    dave

    Peter W. Rowe wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:26:44 GMT, in misc.health.diabetes
    > Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>>that's the question. all I know is it is a pump and
    >>>glucose monitor all rolled into one unit. anyone got a
    >>>picture or other info?
    >>>
    >>>dave
    >

    > Don't know about the 515, but if they've combined a pump
    > with a meter all in one, i hope they do a slicker job than
    > the bd meter they've tied to my new 712 paradigm pump. I
    > like the pump well enough, but the meter sucks. It, and
    > it's case, are way to big for convenient carrying, yet the
    > vial they put the strips in is too small for even a small
    > finger, making it tricky as hell to get a strip out of the
    > vial. Then the slot into which the strip fits in the meter
    > is hard to see, and a bit hard to find, at least when the
    > light isn't so good. Just not a good design. But the real
    > kicker is that I don't think it's accurate. I've got
    > several meters already, and have been comparing them to
    > the bd. Yesterday, feelling a little jittery, I wondered
    > if I'd maybe overbolused, and checked with the bd meter.
    > It beeped, and reported a bg of 140. Sent that via radio
    > link to the pump. All well and good. The pump suggested a
    > bolus to bring it back down. I, however, damn well know
    > what an impending hypo feels like, even if the feelings
    > aren't that reliable any more. So on a hunch, I checked
    > again with both my lifescan meter and my therasense one.
    > These two reported a bg of respectively, 77 and 81, which
    > rather matched well with how I felt. So I retested with
    > the bd meter too, and this time it reported 102. All this
    > within the span of a couple minutes, without another bolus
    > or carb intake.
    >
    > Much though I like the bit of the meter automatically
    > sending the reading to the pump, frankly, I'm kinda
    > deciding not to use the bd meter, and go back to my
    > thereasense tracker, which though it doesn't radio link to
    > the pump, makes keeping a logbook a lot simpler for me.
    > And since actually doing anything with the bg reading the
    > pump recieves still requires pushing some buttons on the
    > pump, I don't think I'm missing too much of a feature.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Peter Rowe Seattle (new to the group, but not to diabetes.
    > 37 years T1. first wore a pump in the early 80s (the big
    > blue brick I'm told it was called, though i recall a
    > charcoal color. Autosyringe brand... Had to go off it
    > again after a couple years after getting too many
    > adhesions and knots in the fatty tissue due to irritation
    > from the steel infusion needles. Only just recently
    > figured things had gotton better in the years since, and
    > no longer happy with A1C. It used to be around 7, but has
    > slowly edged up to 7.4. Endo isn't too unhappy, but I'd
    > prefer lower. Niaspan prolly has something to do with it,
    > as did the sometimes dramatic spikes I'd get. Hopeing the
    > pump will let me better control things.)

  4. Randy Sigman

    Randy Sigman Guest

    Peter W. Rowe <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:26:44 GMT, in misc.health.diabetes
    > Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>that's the question. all I know is it is a pump and
    >>>glucose monitor all rolled into one unit. anyone got a
    >>>picture or other info?
    >>>
    >>>dave

    > Don't know about the 515, but if they've combined a pump
    > with a meter all in one, i hope they do a slicker job than
    > the bd meter they've tied to my new 712 paradigm pump. I
    > like the pump well enough, but the meter sucks. It, and
    > it's case, are way to big for convenient carrying, yet the
    > vial they put the strips in is too small for even a small
    > finger, making it tricky as hell to get a strip out of the
    > vial. Then the slot into which the strip fits in the meter
    > is hard to see, and a bit hard to find, at least when the
    > light isn't so good. Just not a good design.

    You've joined the not so elite club of everyone who has been
    misled into trying one of these clunkers. All of your points
    are known to them, but they don't seem to care, nor desire
    to do anything about it.

    > But the real kicker is that I don't think it's accurate.
    > I've got several meters already, and have been comparing
    > them to the bd. Yesterday, feelling a little jittery, I
    > wondered if I'd maybe overbolused, and checked with the bd
    > meter. It beeped, and reported a bg of 140. Sent that via
    > radio link to the pump.

    I've had the same experience.

    > All well and good. The pump suggested a bolus to bring it
    > back down. I, however, damn well know what an impending
    > hypo feels like, even if the feelings aren't that
    > reliable any more. So on a hunch, I checked again with
    > both my lifescan meter and my therasense one. These two
    > reported a bg of respectively, 77 and 81, which rather
    > matched well with how I felt. So I retested with the bd
    > meter too, and this time it reported 102. All this within
    > the span of a couple minutes, without another bolus or
    > carb intake.

    It would seem that you either need to be an engineer, or a
    laboratory scientiest to force the meter to read
    correctly. Apparently, it can be done, but only with
    precisely 3 microlitres of blood. Too much or too little
    blood will give a very erroneous reading. This is anything
    but user friendly.

    > Much though I like the bit of the meter automatically
    > sending the reading to the pump, frankly, I'm kinda
    > deciding not to use the bd meter, and go back to my
    > thereasense tracker, which though it doesn't radio link to
    > the pump, makes keeping a logbook a lot simpler for me.
    > And since actually doing anything with the bg reading the
    > pump recieves still requires pushing some buttons on the
    > pump, I don't think I'm missing too much of a feature.

    This meter has only 2 things going for it. The radio link to
    the pump, which would be awesome if the readings were
    worthwhile, and the speed in which you can get erroneous
    readings. I can get 10 bad readings with this meter in the
    time it takes me to get 1 good reading from my Bayer. I
    still rely on the Bayer. :)

    Best,

    Randy

  5. Southpaw

    Southpaw Guest

    Peter W. Rowe wrote:

    > Much though I like the bit of the meter automatically
    > sending the reading to the pump, frankly, I'm kinda
    > deciding not to use the bd meter, and go back to my
    > thereasense tracker, which though it doesn't radio link to
    > the pump, makes keeping a logbook a lot simpler for me.
    > And since actually doing anything with the bg reading the
    > pump recieves still requires pushing some buttons on the
    > pump, I don't think I'm missing too much of a feature.

    My first meter was a OneTouch Ultra. About a month before I
    got my Minimed 512 and the accompanying meter by BD, I
    upgraded the Ultra to an UltraSmart. I love my UltraSmart
    and still use it to this day.

    I did a couple of side by side tests between my UltraSmart
    and the piece of junk BD calls a meter and was shocked to
    see how different they were. I put the BD meter back in the
    box and put it on a shelf in my medicine cabinet - it might
    see use if my UltraSmart ever gives up the ghost. That is,
    it will see use only until I get a replacement UltraSmart.
    Sure it has the convenience of the radio link, but given its
    innacuracy, I can not bring myself to even think of using it
    when I have an alternative.

    Peace

  6. My wife and I both use the UltraSmart. we LOVE it. She tried
    the BD but got tired of the E-3's. Besides, we've never
    found another brand of meter that was as reliable,
    repeatable, and fast as the Ultras.

    dave