Attention: Women riders - your country needs you!

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Spied this in the Sport pages of The Age, please pass this onto anyone
you know who would be interested in such a fantastic opportunity.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51035538080@N01/121704463/

National Talent Search Program - Cycling - Women's mountain bike initiative
http://www.ais.org.au/talent/cycling/womens_mountain_bike.asp

AIS Talent Search - Cycling - Introduction to cross country mountain bike

Cross Country Mountain Bike is one of the many cycling disciplines. Racing takes place in the great outdoors which provides numerous challenges. Cross Country Mountain Bike is an exciting, variable speed, skilful and adrenalin charged event and provides the ultimate mental and physical challenge. Each athlete completes laps of a course with the aim of negotiating the terrain, including single tracks, open roads, uphill and downhill sections, as fast as possible.

The Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) in conjunction with the National Talent Search Program is undertaking a unique search to identify and develop a new generation of aspiring FEMALE athletes to potentially represent Australia at the 2012 Olympic Games - hence the project "Dirt Roads to London", host venue of the 2012 Games. The AIS wants to identify athletic females with the desire to compete nationally and internationally in Cross Country Mountain Bike.

Cross Country Mountain Bike is extremely popular in many European countries and is now set to take off in NSW and Victoria! Female athletes who have been involved with sports such as road and track cycling, BMX, rowing, athletics and triathlon could well excel in Cross Country Mountain Bike. Even those who have dabbled in the sport of mountain biking but have never really explored how far they can go may benefit from being involved in this exciting project. This project will give some of these athletes the chance to find out just how far they can go in the exciting world of Cross Country Mountain Bike!

Who are we looking for?

We are looking for a very special group of women aged between 17-27 years (if younger than 18 years old, must firstly have had the full support of their parents/guardians). Then we want those who would immediately say 'yes' to the following physical and mental requirements. Maybe this is you? Or, someone you know?

Physical and mental requirements for 'Dirt Roads to London'

* Consider yourself to be athletic or 'sporty' (e.g. has a love for sport and has been involved with a variety of sports)
* Have good levels of endurance and power
* Enjoy competition and outdoor challenges (e.g. road riding, orienteering)
* A good thinker (e.g. good at problem solving)
* A 'coachable' person (e.g. listens to advice and is prepared to try new skills)
* Able to demonstrate persistence and determination (e.g. doesn't give up after failing the first time)

What can participants expect to gain from this experience?

In the first few months the successful participants will gain extensive riding confidence, advanced bike handling skills, added respect for the forces of nature, skills allowing lifelong participation in competitive and recreational cycling activities, accelerated skills development through expert coaching, great friendships, and character building through exciting challenges and
triumphs.

In the mid-term, we hope you may become a leading female mountain biker in NSW/VIC and probably Australia. In the long term, we cannot guarantee that you will become an Olympian, but this will be the ultimate long-term goal.

What is involved?

Phase 1 – Registering interest

* Participants were required to discuss the project with their parents if they are under the age of 18 years.
* Participants then complete the online registration form before Friday 14th April 2006, however it is advised to submit your nomination as soon as possible.
* If deemed suitable and able, participants and their parents/care providers will be contacted and provided with additional information regarding Phase 2 testing procedures.

Phase 2 –Come and Try

* Applicants and their parents/care providers are invited to a "come and try day" at:

o Manly Dam Reserve, Allambie Heights (Allambie Road, Allambie Heights Oval), NSW on SATURDAY 22ND APRIL, 2006 at 10.00 am
o Dallas Brooks Park Scout Camp, Upper Beaconsfield (Harpsfield Road) Victoria on SUNDAY 30TH APRIL, 2006 at 10.00 am
* The session will consist of becoming familiar with a mountain bike course that will be used for later testing and have the opportunity to speak with coaches and the Talent Search Coordinator about mountain biking and the program.
* Participants should bring clothes and footwear suitable for cycling. A water bottle, hat and sunscreen are also recommended.
* There are no costs associated with the come and try day but you need to have your own mountain bike or borrow one!

Phase 3 – Testing

* Approximately 4 weeks later, interested people will be invited back to the come and try location for physiological assessment.
o Manly Dam Reserve, Allambie Heights (Allambie Road, Allambie Heights Oval), NSW on SATURDAY 27th MAY, 2006 at 10.00 am
o Dallas Brooks Park Scout Camp, Upper Beaconsfield Park (Harpsfield Road), Victoria on SUNDAY 21st MAY, 2006 at 10.00 am

* This will involve riding over the course as fast as possible and being timed on certain sections to allow the coaches to view your performance on a mountain bike.
* Physiological tests on a stationary ergometer will also be conducted to assess your physiological attributes. This will involve a 10 s sprint and a 2-4 min ergometer test. Height and body mass will also be recorded.
* These data will be used in conjunction with the field tests (riding around the MTB course) to help decide the final squad.
* A squad will be identified from the testing session and invited, with their parents/guardians, to an information evening to outline the requirements of the program. The successful and unsuccessful athletes will be notified by phone/email in the week following the testing session.

Phase 4 – Trial Period

* Once identified, athletes in the squad will commence an approximate three month "trial period" from May to August 2006.
* There are no costs associated with this program (ie.coaching), however travel costs are the responsibility of the athlete.
* The purpose of this "trial period" is to further assess the athletes' suitability for high performance cross country mountain bike and also to allow them to become familiar with the sport and to assess their future intentions.
* Expert coaching by nationally accredited cycling coaches and training programs will be provided at no cost to you.
* Athletes will be required to attend/participate in training in this phase to allow maximum exposure to the sport. However, it is understood that some athletes may have unavoidable commitments, although these should be made known to the coach in advance.
* Following this "trial period", a squad will be chosen to progress to the intensive training program.

Phase 5 - Intensive training

* This phase will be from August 2006 to December 2007.
* The aim of this phase is to prepare for competitions deemed appropriate by the coach with a focus on state and national representation.
* This phase will involve expert coaching, attendance at training camps organised by the National Talent Search Program and monitoring by the National Talent Search Program.
* The Talent Search Program will cover the cost of associated cycling licenses (MTBA and CA) to allow you to race in state and national events.
* The Talent Search Program is also exploring the opportunities of upgrading mountain bikes, if required, via arrangements with specific bike shops (details to be confirmed).

Phase 6 – State and National Pathway

* Ultimately, athletes coming through this program will be eligible to progress within the State and National competition pathway. The first stepping-stones in this pathway would state competition (State Series) then national competition (National Series and National Championships).
* A longer term target is the progression to a regional academy (Regional Academies) or state institute/academy of sport (NSW Institute of Sport, Victorian Institute of Sport, and ACT Academy of Sport ).
* Progression through the State and National pathway is dependent on athletes meeting selection criteria for Academies, Institutes and National Teams.

Further information

Enquiries can be directed to:

Tammie Ebert
Senior Talent Search Coordinator - Cycling
Australian Institute of Sport - Adelaide
Main North Road, Gepps Cross, SA, 5094
PO Box 646, Enfield Plaza, SA, 5085
Ph: 08 8360 5805
Fax: 08 8360 5800

Email: [email protected]

* Consider yourself to be athletic or 'sporty' (e.g. has a love for sport and has been involved with a variety of sports)

No.

* Have good levels of endurance and power

No,

* Enjoy competition and outdoor challenges (e.g. road riding, orienteering)

No.

* A good thinker (e.g. good at problem solving)

No.

* A 'coachable' person (e.g. listens to advice and is prepared to try new skills)

No.

* Able to demonstrate persistence and determination (e.g. doesn't give up after failing the first time)

Somehow I don't think this stuff's for me. Tam would be cut out for it, but er not me. I think my country would shoot me.

Lotte

LotteBum said:
Somehow I don't think this stuff's for me. Tam would be cut out for it, but er not me. I think my country would shoot me.

I fail the age cut off & am simply now too old & grumpy to retrain. Best of luck extended to the young 'uns who go for a try out.

cfsmtb said:
I fail the age cut off & am simply now too old & grumpy to retrain. Best of luck extended to the young 'uns who go for a try out.

No premenopausals need apply! Pity - there are a reasonable number of women mid 30s and beyond racing mtb UCI. Women's mtb in Australia is too small for age to be a condition of suitablility. If they want true long term sustainability of medals, instead of looking for a quick fix for Beijing, then a solid junior program should be instigated, rather than wasting money on short terms medals.

LotteBum wrote:

> * Consider yourself to be athletic or 'sporty' (e.g. has a love for
> sport and has been involved with a variety of sports)
>
> No.
>
> * Have good levels of endurance and power
>
> No,
>
> * Enjoy competition and outdoor challenges (e.g. road riding,
> orienteering)
>
> No.
>
> * A good thinker (e.g. good at problem solving)
>
> No.
>
> * A 'coachable' person (e.g. listens to advice and is prepared to try
> new skills)
>
> No.
>
> * Able to demonstrate persistence and determination (e.g. doesn't give
> up after failing the first time)
>
> Somehow I don't think this stuff's for me. Tam would be cut out for
> it, but er not me. I think my country would shoot me.
>
> Lotte

Which country is that? Holland? Mongolia? :p

Hey, you live in the wrong state anyway. Plus you'd be too fast for
them. They need unco people like me, who can improve!

Tam

cfsmtb said:
Spied this in the Sport pages of The Age, please pass this onto anyone you know who would be interested in such a fantastic opportunity.

Who are we looking for?

We are looking for a very special group of women aged between 17-27 years (if younger than 18 years old, must firstly have had the full support of their parents/guardians). Then we want those who would immediately say 'yes' to the following physical and mental requirements. Maybe this is you? Or, someone you know?
*sniff* I'm too old and most likely too slow. :(

Tamyka Bell said:
Which country is that? Holland? Mongolia? :p
Ah look I can't remember. It's all the same.

No way! I'm talkin' 'bout moi ****ry: Straya!!!

Lotte

LotteBum wrote:
> * Consider yourself to be athletic or 'sporty' (e.g. has a love for
> sport and has been involved with a variety of sports)
>
> No.
>
> * Have good levels of endurance and power
>
> No,
>
> * Enjoy competition and outdoor challenges (e.g. road riding,
> orienteering)
>
> No.
>
> * A good thinker (e.g. good at problem solving)

If it involves orienteering/rogaining, then the last two out weight the
second.

As to the first, it isn't necessary, if Wendy & I can come second in the
mixed for Aust Rogaining Championships and we spent 6 hours of that 24
hours at home in our own beds, then it tells you how much the last two
count {:).

Our rogaining style was find five check points, then have a cuppa,
repeat until too cold, too prickly, too windy, no more views, too tired.

Terry Collins wrote:

> LotteBum wrote:
> > * Consider yourself to be athletic or 'sporty' (e.g. has a love for
> > sport and has been involved with a variety of sports)
> >
> > No.
> >
> > * Have good levels of endurance and power
> >
> > No,
> >
> > * Enjoy competition and outdoor challenges (e.g. road riding,
> > orienteering)
> >
> > No.
> >
> > * A good thinker (e.g. good at problem solving)

> If it involves orienteering/rogaining, then the last two out weight the
> second.
>
> As to the first, it isn't necessary, if Wendy & I can come second in the
> mixed for Aust Rogaining Championships and we spent 6 hours of that 24
> hours at home in our own beds, then it tells you how much the last two
> count {:).
>
> Our rogaining style was find five check points, then have a cuppa,
> repeat until too cold, too prickly, too windy, no more views, too tired.

Did that leave you feeling awful, knowing that if you hadn't spent 6
hours of that time in bed, you might've won?

Tam

PS Don't think it involves orienteering/rogaining. It was a MTB thing,
not a MTBO thing.

Tamyka Bell wrote:

>>Our rogaining style was find five check points, then have a cuppa,
>>repeat until too cold, too prickly, too windy, no more views, too tired.

> Did that leave you feeling awful, knowing that if you hadn't spent 6
> hours of that time in bed, you might've won?

Absolutely not. I'd just come off a 70 hour week and we both were coming
down with something. We thought it was wonderful and rather funny, even
though "we'd gone home to feed the baby" as it was reported back to the
committee (lol, we were sitting in the meeting att).

The truth is we would have never had won. Bert & Diane take/took their
rogaining very seriously and since we popped onto the first 5 check
points just as they did, they went hell for leather all night. Shaggedd,
totally was how they were, with an enormous score which was respectable
in the open scores.

And sorry to say, we came second because the army team that scored the
second highest points blew most of them away because they were late
back. The comment was made about "hindered by rank". The lesser pips
(female) was judged as very capable by the organisers but a male ego
over estimated we were told.

I believe the mixed competition has improved over the years since.

cfsmtb wrote:

> Spied this in the Sport pages of The Age, please pass this onto anyone
> you know who would be interested in such a fantastic opportunity.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51035538080@N01/121704463/
>
> National Talent Search Program - Cycling - Women's mountain bike
> initiative
> http://www.ais.org.au/talent/cycling/womens_mountain_bike.asp
>
> AIS Talent Search - Cycling - Introduction to cross country mountain
> bike

<snip>

I contacted the co-ordinator, Tammie Ebert, to ask why the program would
not be run in SEQ as well, given the talent pool that is evident at our
various xc enduro events. It's just a no funding thing. That sucks.

If I was any good at MTBing, I'd get together a qld women's mtb gang to
kick the butts of the Australian Women's Team at all lead up events.
Anyway Tammie seems really cool and we decided it's all good as long as
we kick the butts of all Poms.

Tam