Attitude of fellow cyclists

On 16/02/2008 10:06, Roger Merriman said,

> light weight then! ;-) the big cheap hybrid with marthon pluses big
> paniers and a basket and yes i really do use all them. is 48lb without
> my work gear and 55lb with.

Basket? Is that with or without front panniers? :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Feb 11, 12:25 pm, David Lloyd <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Oh, I forgot to say that at least this is an issue amongst cyclists.
> > When was the last time that a motorist waved at another, just to say
> > 'hi' ? It just doesn't happen, does it?

> AIUI Beetle driversoften greet other beetle drivers in this way.

Mini drivers (as opposed to MINI drivers) do this. I frequently have to
remind myself when driving my car that I'm not in a Mini. SWMBO owns
that.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Sir Jeremy <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 11 Feb, 12:25, David Lloyd <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Oh, I forgot to say that at least this is an issue amongst cyclists.
> > When was the last time that a motorist waved at another, just to say
> > 'hi' ? It just doesn't happen, does it?

> It happens every day, we're a courteous lot, saying "Thank you" for a
> small favour helps the day go around whether its waving a pedestrian
> across a junction or letting someone out of a side road. Cyclists
> never acknowledge though, I wonder why ?

It may be that you don't notice. I tend to acknowledge in whichever way
seems safe at the time. Sometimes I just raise my right hand from the
handlebar in a small salute, sometimes I grin a broad grin.

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

> Roger Merriman wrote:
>
> > Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> On 10/02/2008 21:37, Roger Merriman said,

> >> Just weighed it - 44lbs, without lunch :) It is a "Handbuilt
> >> Lightweight Tourer", mind - a proper British Raleigh Randonneur. Bit
> >> overkill for commuting, really!

> > light weight then! ;-) the big cheap hybrid with marthon pluses big
> > paniers and a basket and yes i really do use all them. is 48lb without
> > my work gear and 55lb with.

> Jings!
>
> More than twice the weight of mine, then, both sans work kit and with it.
> About 22lbs without, about 25lbs with. I don't think I'd like to lug 55lbs
> over the hill to work!

hills are done slowly and yes i do end up using the granny gear. this
said this is london so there is little in the way of that. it's a take
me home james bike, i spend a lot of my day on and off the bike.

this said in spite of it's weight it's not that much slower i tend to
pass the red light jumpers, within a short space of time. i've noticed
quite a few going click, click etc trying to clip in. possibly
attempting to not get left behind?

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 16/02/2008 10:06, Roger Merriman said,
>
> > light weight then! ;-) the big cheap hybrid with marthon pluses big
> > paniers and a basket and yes i really do use all them. is 48lb without
> > my work gear and 55lb with.

> Basket? Is that with or without front panniers? :)

heh no fronts as of yet... i find the basket weighed doesn't make the
bike handle well.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

In article <1icf7nk.3dx2j8gons9xN%[email protected]>, Roger
Merriman
[email protected] says...
> Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On 16/02/2008 10:06, Roger Merriman said,
> >
> > > light weight then! ;-) the big cheap hybrid with marthon pluses big
> > > paniers and a basket and yes i really do use all them. is 48lb without
> > > my work gear and 55lb with.

> > Basket? Is that with or without front panniers? :)

> heh no fronts as of yet... i find the basket weighed doesn't make the
> bike handle well.

Do yourself a favour and get some front low riders.

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <1icf7nk.3dx2j8gons9xN%[email protected]>, Roger
> Merriman
> [email protected] says...
> > Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > On 16/02/2008 10:06, Roger Merriman said,

> > > Basket? Is that with or without front panniers? :)

> > heh no fronts as of yet... i find the basket weighed doesn't make the
> > bike handle well.
> >

> Do yourself a favour and get some front low riders.

well the basket is for stuff that i'm getting at all the time, hence not
putting it in the panniers. i tend to be stopping all the time, getting
off etc.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com