Attitude of fellow cyclists

John Kane said the following on 10/02/2008 23:43:

> No spare spokes?

Yes - the bike has neat little braze-ons on the left-hand chainstay to
take two spokes. So there :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Sir Jeremy said the following on 11/02/2008 14:50:

> Cyclists never acknowledge though, I wonder why ?

Speak for yourself. I always acknowledge a courtesy, whether it be from
a driver, a pedestrian or another cyclist. Other cyclists I know do the
same.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Boyd
usenet.is.worse@plusnet says...
> John Kane said the following on 10/02/2008 23:43:
>
> > No spare spokes?

> Yes - the bike has neat little braze-ons on the left-hand chainstay to
> take two spokes. So there :)

Left chainstay? I thought they put them on the right to protect against
chain slap.

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Paul Boyd
> usenet.is.worse@plusnet says...
>> John Kane said the following on 10/02/2008 23:43:
>>
>> > No spare spokes?

>> Yes - the bike has neat little braze-ons on the left-hand chainstay to
>> take two spokes. So there :)
>>

> Left chainstay? I thought they put them on the right to protect against
> chain slap.

I've only ever seen them on the left.

cheers,
clive

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> Adam Lea [email protected] says...

>> Are there any companies that manufacture bikes/bike
>> parts in the UK?

> Pashley bikes, Brooks saddles, Reynolds tubing and a
> few frame builders.

Hope, Goldtec, Pace, Royce, Middleburn, Carradice...

James Thomson

In article <[email protected]>, Clive George
[email protected] says...
> "Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Paul Boyd
> > usenet.is.worse@plusnet says...

> >> Yes - the bike has neat little braze-ons on the left-hand chainstay to
> >> take two spokes. So there :)
> >>

> > Left chainstay? I thought they put them on the right to protect against
> > chain slap.

> I've only ever seen them on the left.

Maybe they just don't fit on the right any more with shorter chainstays,
or with 22t chainrings/11t sprockets.

In article <[email protected]>, James
Thomson
[email protected] says...
> "Rob Morley" <[email protected]> a écrit:
>
> > Adam Lea [email protected] says...

> >> Are there any companies that manufacture bikes/bike
> >> parts in the UK?

> > Pashley bikes, Brooks saddles, Reynolds tubing and a
> > few frame builders.

> Hope, Goldtec, Pace, Royce, Middleburn, Carradice...

I thought of Carradice, but reckoned they make accessories rather than
bike parts. The others were serious omissions on my part, even if they
are mostly a bloke in a shed with a couple of machine tools. :)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:52:28 +0000, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>But as others have pointed out, you need to be associated with a like
>minority. Don't get waves and nods in NL except from fellow recumbent
>riders. If all cyclists there greeted one another it would be as full a
>time job as flashing your headlamps at every car you came across while
>driving in the UK.

I did my first serious ride (66km) yseterday in NL (also my first time
on a road bike, and a borrowed one at that - boy were my wrists sore
once I hit the cobbles brick bits back in the city) and I got a number
of nods when out and about, not from everyone at all like if you're
going up Box Hill or something, but at least a number.

Jim.

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> I thought of Carradice, but reckoned they make accessories
> rather than bike parts.

I tacked them on at the end, reasoning that no CTC-member's bike is complete
without its Nelson Longflap.

There are also the likes of USE and X-Lite, though I'm not sure how much
actual manufacturing they do in the UK.

> The others were serious omissions on my part, even if they
> are mostly a bloke in a shed with a couple of machine tools. :)

Royce is *at least* a couple of guys in a shed...

James Thomson

Rob Morley said the following on 11/02/2008 16:03:

> Left chainstay? I thought they put them on the right to protect against
> chain slap.

Uh?? My chain's on the right :)

Is now a good time to mention that the two spare spokes won't actually
fit my wheels? :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On 11/02/2008 04:19, Rob Morley said,

> e.g. mudguards, racks and bags, lights and locks, tools and spares,
> change of clothes, paperwork/laptop, lunch ...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the lock. That's probably about 10lbs on
its own!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

In message <0d3d2993-c103-4630-8dac-7ba6b3a9a3a1@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com>
Sir Jeremy <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Oh, I forgot to say that at least this is an issue amongst cyclists.
> > When was the last time that a motorist waved at another, just to say
> > 'hi' ? It just doesn't happen, does it?
> >
> > David Lloyd- Hide quoted text -

> It happens every day, we're a courteous lot, saying "Thank you" for a
> small favour helps the day go around whether its waving a pedestrian
> across a junction or letting someone out of a side road. Cyclists
> never acknowledge though, I wonder why ?

I often say thanks, but when often if a motorist lets me out, it is when I am
manovering slowly, and I need to keep both hands on the handle bars, to
balance, or I want to accelerate, so I very rarely wave.

On Feb 11, 2:53 pm, Sir Jeremy <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 11 Feb, 13:12, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Oh, I forgot to say that at least this is an issue amongst cyclists.
> > > When was the last time that a motorist waved at another, just to say
> > > 'hi' ? It just doesn't happen, does it?

> > AIUI Beetle driversoften greet other beetle drivers in this way.  Not
> > sure if they still do or if it applies to the new ones though.  In
> > parts of rural Ireland it is also quite common to wave to other
> > drivers.  I wouldn't be surprised if this was also the case in the UK
> > in some areas

> > best wishes
> > james- Hide quoted text -

> Beetle drivers have waved since the 1950s . All 911 drivers do the
> same as do some, but not all Boxster drivers.- Hide quoted text -

Once a beetle driver... well a few beetles and even a type 2..

I don't even have a car now and I still wave at beetle drivers. And
still get a wave back!

Always makes people smile when u show up in a beetle. My lycra never
has the same effect!

In message <11faab6f4f%[email protected]>
Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> I often say thanks, but when often if a motorist lets me out, it is when I am
> manovering slowly, and I need to keep both hands on the handle bars, to
> balance, or I want to accelerate, so I very rarely wave.

I thank whenever possible - voice, smile, raised (appropriately!)
fingers/thumbs, nod; taking hands off bars to thank means I reduce
control of the bike.

--
Charles
Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park

In article
<[email protected]>,
David Lloyd <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 9 Feb, 18:27, [email protected] wrote:
> > Now I know this will spark a few comments, but I ride a £99 shopper
> > bike  to get my shopping in, (2000 miles for £99 plus a set of tyres,
> > cheap, but knackered now so replacement due, so 2000 miles for £150,
> > no global warming included) I also ride a MTB Marion many pounds more
> > than £99 and a summer road bike well over a grand. Now in summer on my
> > expensive bike, good lycra every fellow road cyclist waves, on my MTB
> > not many on road bikes  wave, on my shopper very few wave. I do put a
> > hand up or nod to every cyclist, be it child, shopper or the lad out
> > for a ton mileage. So lads out there on the grand plus bike training,
> > or out for the ton in 5hrs less, or just shaking off a hangover  (yes
> > I have done it, 18mph ave, Ok some one will beat that with a
> > hangover.  Kids!! dont cycle with a hangover)  But give a nod to every
> > other cyclist be it shopper, granny or child.  You know be it a
> > cyclist just starting out and 10 miles is hard they need a nod, one
> > day they will hit the ton.
> > Now another debate, road lads riding in winter, get a MTB and ride it
> > in winter down bridleways, its hard, MTB shoes are double the weight
> > of road shoes, I would say 15 miles off road is same as 12 on road.
> > To end
> > So many well known people suc as Matthew (Mr Piano Wire) are anti
> > cyclist we must promote ourselves as been friendly to each other,
> > cyling is good,
> > Col

> Oh, I forgot to say that at least this is an issue amongst cyclists.
> When was the last time that a motorist waved at another, just to say
> 'hi' ? It just doesn't happen, does it?
>
> David Lloyd

It does in a Motorhome :)

--
Sara

The teeth are free at last! Fly free, young teethies!

In article <[email protected]>,
Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:

> Sir Jeremy said the following on 11/02/2008 14:50:
>
> > Cyclists never acknowledge though, I wonder why ?

> Speak for yourself. I always acknowledge a courtesy, whether it be from
> a driver, a pedestrian or another cyclist. Other cyclists I know do the
> same.

Yup. Me too,

--
Sara

The teeth are free at last! Fly free, young teethies!

In article <11faab6f4f%[email protected]>,
Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> In message <0d3d2993-c103-4630-8dac-7ba6b3a9a3a1@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com>
> Sir Jeremy <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Oh, I forgot to say that at least this is an issue amongst cyclists.
> > > When was the last time that a motorist waved at another, just to say
> > > 'hi' ? It just doesn't happen, does it?
> > >
> > > David Lloyd- Hide quoted text -

> > It happens every day, we're a courteous lot, saying "Thank you" for a
> > small favour helps the day go around whether its waving a pedestrian
> > across a junction or letting someone out of a side road. Cyclists
> > never acknowledge though, I wonder why ?

> I often say thanks, but when often if a motorist lets me out, it is when I am
> manovering slowly, and I need to keep both hands on the handle bars, to
> balance, or I want to accelerate, so I very rarely wave.

Yes, in those circs. a nod and a big beaming smile seems to work quite
well.

--

Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 10/02/2008 21:37, Roger Merriman said,
>
> > 40lb sounds rather light though?

> Just weighed it - 44lbs, without lunch :) It is a "Handbuilt
> Lightweight Tourer", mind - a proper British Raleigh Randonneur. Bit
> overkill for commuting, really!

light weight then! ;-) the big cheap hybrid with marthon pluses big
paniers and a basket and yes i really do use all them. is 48lb without
my work gear and 55lb with.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Roger Merriman wrote:

> Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 10/02/2008 21:37, Roger Merriman said,
>>
>> > 40lb sounds rather light though?

>> Just weighed it - 44lbs, without lunch :) It is a "Handbuilt
>> Lightweight Tourer", mind - a proper British Raleigh Randonneur. Bit
>> overkill for commuting, really!

> light weight then! ;-) the big cheap hybrid with marthon pluses big
> paniers and a basket and yes i really do use all them. is 48lb without
> my work gear and 55lb with.

Jings!

More than twice the weight of mine, then, both sans work kit and with it.
About 22lbs without, about 25lbs with. I don't think I'd like to lug 55lbs
over the hill to work!

;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.