Attn. CIRC !riders! 2003 Illinois AITC ride rumors!

Harryo

Guest
For the CIRC riders that frequent this group and any other riders close to Western Illinois: My
inside sources are telling me that this year's Illinois AITC ride will probably take place in
Western Illinois, likely in the Quad Cities area(Tom & Dave?). Also, it sounds as if they might
change the ride format somewhat. In the past, it has been a 3 day loop of 250-280 miles, ending the
first and second days in different cities and finishing the 3 day back at the starting site. This
year, there is a strong possibility they will ride a loop for the first day, with 3 different routes
of 25-30 miles, 50-60 miles and a century. Then the last 2 days would be a 2 day loop. This would
allow riders, who can't take the time to do a 3 day ride, the opportunity to do a 1 day ride and
still be involved with this event. This ride takes place Sept. 2nd through the 4th.

This information is not final but it does appear that it is 90% likely. I will post more info as it
is finalized and becomes available to me. There will also be information on the AITC web page at:
http://www.agpage.com/aitc/index.htm ,but they are usually a little slow getting new information on
that site and right now, it still has the stuff from last year's ride. There will also be links
posted at: http://www.bikelib.org/rides/rides.html#September and:
http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/ilrides.htm#September but again, I will have the final plans,
including a preliminary route map, before it is posted to the web site and will post it here as soon
as possible.

Harry Jiles

I just received some new info today. The ride will definitely start somewhere in the Quad Cities,
probably Moline, and there will be a southward loop on the 1st day, Sept. 4th, ending back at the
startintg point. The next day, the 5th, it will follow an easterly loop and end up back in the Quad
Cities the next evening, the 6th. I was told that more route options are going to be added in order
to make the ride more appealing to the experienced riders wanting more miles, as well as those
riders who prefer shorter routes. It sounds very much as if there might be routes to do back, to
back, to back centuries.

Again, I will post more information as soon as I receive it.

Harry Jiles

[email protected] (harryo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I just received some new info today. The ride will definitely start somewhere in the Quad Cities,
> probably Moline, and there will be a southward loop on the 1st day, Sept. 4th, ending back at the
> startintg point. The next day, the 5th, it will follow an easterly loop and end up back in the
> Quad Cities the next evening, the 6th. I was told that more route options are going to be added in
> order to make the ride more appealing to the experienced riders wanting more miles, as well as
> those riders who prefer shorter routes. It sounds very much as if there might be routes to do
> back, to back, to back centuries.
>
> Again, I will post more information as soon as I receive it.
>
> Harry Jiles

OK, I screwed up. The first day of the ride is Sept. 2 and the last 2 days are Sept. 3rd & 4th.

Harry Jiles

> Harry,
>
> Have you convinced any other recumbent farmers to participate?
>
> Will there be a special rate for those using Soy Technologies Chain Butter [1]?
>
> [1] < http://www.soytek.com/cycling/cycleproducts.html >
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Actually, there was another recumbent farmer on the ride last year. Dennis Miller, from Danvers, IL,
has an engineering background and rides a very interesting, homebuilt lwb lowracer. He is also
somewhat of an ironman. We would ride an 85-100 mile day, at average riding speeds of around 20 mph,
and Dennis would spend the evening in the pool, at the hotel, swimming laps. A great example for
those of us over 50.

The recumbent farmer from the Champaign area, who is an aquaintance of ours, is aware of the ride
and thinking about it. I hope he does decide to join us, at least for the first day, if possible.
The same goes for you. I hope you can at least do the first day. I realize the dates, during the
week, can be a problem for those that are not self employed. By the way, I had the wrong dates in an
earlier post. The ride actually takes place Sept. 2-4. It always starts the Tuesday after Labor Day.

I don't know about the discount for the Soy Technologies Chain Butter but maybe they might be
interested in some sponsorship. A bike ride put on by IAA Foundation, which promotes agricultural
products, is a perfect opportunity for them. Do you have any contact information?

Harry Jiles