> ATTN: eBay buyers in NW AR, SW MO, NE OK

Ozark Bicycle Service

Guest
Introducing Ozark Bicycle Service-

If you like to save $$$$ by buying your bicycling gear on eBay or
through
mail order or
the internet, but are unable to find a competent bike mechanic to
install your
parts on your bike (and are made to feel "less than welcome" at your
local bike shop if you
arrive with your mail-order parts), you will be interested in my new
bicycle
service.

I am offering a "service only" facility, offering services from
simple tune-ups to complete overhauls and re-builds. Save money by
buying your
parts on eBay or through the mail/internet and contact me to have your
parts
professionally installed at *LOWER THAN BIKE SHOP labor rates*. I have
over
twenty years experience in bicycle repair, maintainence and
modification as
well as
over fifteen years experience in wheel building and wheel repair,
re-building
and maintainance. Prior to relocating to NWA, I worked seasonally as a
bicycle
mechanic at one of the most highly respected bike shops in New
England. I also
will work with you, at no extra charge, to help determine the right
parts for
your needs.

Located in Rogers, AR and serving NW AR, SW MO and NE OK. Pick up and
delivery (in a covered vehicle, not in a pickup or on a roof rack) are
also
available.

Give me a try! What do you have to lose but the high price of buying
locally?

Email is:

OzarkBicycleServ at aol dot com

Thanks!

Dude -- we got the message!!!

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Ozark Bicycle Service" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Introducing Ozark Bicycle Service-
>
> If you like to save $$$$ by buying your bicycling gear on eBay or
> through
> mail order or
> the internet, but are unable to find a competent bike mechanic to
> install your
> parts on your bike (and are made to feel "less than welcome" at your
> local bike shop if you
> arrive with your mail-order parts), you will be interested in my new
> bicycle
> service.
>
> I am offering a "service only" facility, offering services from
> simple tune-ups to complete overhauls and re-builds. Save money by
> buying your
> parts on eBay or through the mail/internet and contact me to have your
> parts
> professionally installed at *LOWER THAN BIKE SHOP labor rates*. I have
> over
> twenty years experience in bicycle repair, maintainence and
> modification as
> well as
> over fifteen years experience in wheel building and wheel repair,
> re-building
> and maintainance. Prior to relocating to NWA, I worked seasonally as a
> bicycle
> mechanic at one of the most highly respected bike shops in New
> England. I also
> will work with you, at no extra charge, to help determine the right
> parts for
> your needs.
>
> Located in Rogers, AR and serving NW AR, SW MO and NE OK. Pick up and
> delivery (in a covered vehicle, not in a pickup or on a roof rack) are
> also
> available.
>
> Give me a try! What do you have to lose but the high price of buying
> locally?
>
> Email is:
>
> OzarkBicycleServ at aol dot com
>
> Thanks!

---

Living in northwest Arkansas and having recently (and unfortunately)
bought a bicycle through eBay, I didn't have any problems getting a
local shop to assemble it. While Rogers only had 1 shop until last
year, there are now 3 in Bentonville/Rogers and more in
Springdale/Fayetteville. And I'm not even counting the Trek guy in
Lowell. Given this competition, I doubt any of them are going to be
turning away customers.

But good luck anyway.

[email protected] (John) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Living in northwest Arkansas and having recently (and unfortunately)
> bought a bicycle through eBay, I didn't have any problems getting a
> local shop to assemble it. While Rogers only had 1 shop until last
> year, there are now 3 in Bentonville/Rogers and more in
> Springdale/Fayetteville. And I'm not even counting the Trek guy in
> Lowell. Given this competition, I doubt any of them are going to be
> turning away customers.

I think the new shop in Bentonville and the new location of an
existing Springdale dealer in Rogers are a reflection of the growing
population and increased income in the area. The area was woefully
underserved in the past. That said, I doubt any of them truly welcome
someone with an eBay purchase or mail order parts. At least, that's
what I've been told.

I do wonder what work you needed and what you were charged.

> But good luck anyway.

Well, thanks!! Perhaps we'll meet out on the road. I hope you enjoy
your bike.

"Ozark Bicycle Service" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Introducing Ozark Bicycle Service-
>
> If you like to save $$$$ by buying your bicycling gear on eBay or through
> mail order or the internet, but are unable to find a competent bike

mechanic to
> install your parts on your bike (and are made to feel "less than welcome"

at your
> local bike shop if you arrive with your mail-order parts), you will be

interested in my new
> bicycle service.

This is the second day you've cross-posted an identical message to a number
of inappropriate newsgroups.

rec.bicycles.marketplace is the only newsgroup that is specifically for
for-sale postings. The rest of the newsgroups, if they allowed such, would
become inundated with so many postings from people trying to advertise their
services that it would become increasingly difficult to find the content
tied to their description.

On the other hand, your post contains a fair amount of anti-bike-shop
vitriol, which would indeed be a relevant topic of discussion in most of
these groups. I'd suggest separating out the two (for-sale services vs
anti-bike-shop stuff) and putting each where they belong. You might also
consider including your name, rather than appearing anonymous. Otherwise,
you'll look like one more spammer on the 'net, and that will gain you
neither respect nor customers.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Ozark Bicycle Service" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Introducing Ozark Bicycle Service-
>
> If you like to save $$$$ by buying your bicycling gear on eBay or
> through
> mail order or
> the internet, but are unable to find a competent bike mechanic to
> install your
> parts on your bike (and are made to feel "less than welcome" at your
> local bike shop if you
> arrive with your mail-order parts), you will be interested in my new
> bicycle
> service.
>
> I am offering a "service only" facility, offering services from
> simple tune-ups to complete overhauls and re-builds. Save money by
> buying your
> parts on eBay or through the mail/internet and contact me to have your
> parts
> professionally installed at *LOWER THAN BIKE SHOP labor rates*. I have
> over
> twenty years experience in bicycle repair, maintainence and
> modification as
> well as
> over fifteen years experience in wheel building and wheel repair,
> re-building
> and maintainance. Prior to relocating to NWA, I worked seasonally as a
> bicycle
> mechanic at one of the most highly respected bike shops in New
> England. I also
> will work with you, at no extra charge, to help determine the right
> parts for
> your needs.
>
> Located in Rogers, AR and serving NW AR, SW MO and NE OK. Pick up and
> delivery (in a covered vehicle, not in a pickup or on a roof rack) are
> also
> available.
>
> Give me a try! What do you have to lose but the high price of buying
> locally?
>
> Email is:
>
> OzarkBicycleServ at aol dot com
>
> Thanks!

>Well, thanks!! Perhaps we'll meet out on the road. I hope you enjoy
>your bike.

Ever think abt opening a shop up in Hannibal Missouri?

Need one there badly

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Ozark Bicycle Service" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Introducing Ozark Bicycle Service-
> >
> > If you like to save $$$$ by buying your bicycling gear on eBay or through
> > mail order or the internet, but are unable to find a competent bike

> mechanic to
> > install your parts on your bike (and are made to feel "less than welcome"

> at your
> > local bike shop if you arrive with your mail-order parts), you will be

> interested in my new
> > bicycle service.

> This is the second day you've cross-posted an identical message to a number
> of inappropriate newsgroups.

Sorry, I didn't intend to offend anyone.

> rec.bicycles.marketplace is the only newsgroup that is specifically for
> for-sale postings. The rest of the newsgroups, if they allowed such, would
> become inundated with so many postings from people trying to advertise their
> services that it would become increasingly difficult to find the content
> tied to their description.

I understand....mea culpa.

> On the other hand, your post contains a fair amount of anti-bike-shop
> vitriol, which would indeed be a relevant topic of discussion in most of
> these groups.

"anti-bike shop vitriol"? My intention is to point out that it may be
possible to get a low price on the hard goods *and* get competent
service and advice. I think that's a good paradigm for the consumer,
and a refreshing change from the world of high prices and
semi-competent (or worse) service and advice.

You may run a wonderful shop. But I think you well know that many
shops are anything but wonderful. From the snobby, clubby atmosphere
and attitude to the limited knowledge and skill in the service area,
they can be a real turn-off to recreational cyclists.

And then there is the matter of price. As you know, the price a
smallish shop pays for parts is very close to the price a customer can
buy those parts for at a place like Nashbar, AEBike, etc. The shop
*has* to mark up the price to keep the doors open, I understand that.
But is that the customer's problem? Why shouldn't they shop for the
best price if they can competent service from someone in a "service
only" business?

-small snip-

> You might also
> consider including your name, rather than appearing anonymous. Otherwise,
> you'll look like one more spammer on the 'net, and that will gain you
> neither respect nor customers.

Any potential customer in my intended market area who contacts me can
have all the information they need to feel comfortable doing business
with me. I hesitate to put personal info out on the internet when I am
only seeking a fairly local customer base.

> "anti-bike shop vitriol"? My intention is to point out that it may be
> possible to get a low price on the hard goods *and* get competent
> service and advice. I think that's a good paradigm for the consumer,
> and a refreshing change from the world of high prices and
> semi-competent (or worse) service and advice.
>
> You may run a wonderful shop. But I think you well know that many
> shops are anything but wonderful. From the snobby, clubby atmosphere
> and attitude to the limited knowledge and skill in the service area,
> they can be a real turn-off to recreational cyclists.
>
> And then there is the matter of price. As you know, the price a
> smallish shop pays for parts is very close to the price a customer can
> buy those parts for at a place like Nashbar, AEBike, etc. The shop
> *has* to mark up the price to keep the doors open, I understand that.
> But is that the customer's problem? Why shouldn't they shop for the
> best price if they can competent service from someone in a "service
> only" business?

You might ask when it does become the "customer's" problem. Is it their
problem when it's no longer convenient to ride because most of the shops
have closed up in their area so there's no easy way to get their bike
repaired? Is it the customer's problem when you start losing trail access
because the shops that used to be involved in the local scene, attending
planning council meetings etc., don't exist anymore? Is it the customer's
problem when cycling is seen as an almost outlaw use of the road, and
dealers are no longer attending the Bicycle Summit lobbying effort in DC to
reverse that trend and make the case that we're a legitimate use of the
roads?

The customer certainly has the right and privilege to spend their money how
they wish. But there's an assumption in your post that they're foolish to
do anything but seek out the lowest-possible price when, in fact, there may
be reasons why it makes sense to spend a bit more and keep the local guy in
business.

I don't argue that many LBSs don't do a great job, but you need to be
careful to not paint all of us with the same brush. I'm not even saying
Chain Reaction is something that you would find worth having in your
particular community. That's a job for our customers to decide. But we do,
and will continue to, try and make our piece of the world a bit better place
for cycling, in a way that would be difficult for an internet or mail-order
company to do.

> > You might also
> > consider including your name, rather than appearing anonymous.

Otherwise,
> > you'll look like one more spammer on the 'net, and that will gain you
> > neither respect nor customers.
> >

> Any potential customer in my intended market area who contacts me can
> have all the information they need to feel comfortable doing business
> with me. I hesitate to put personal info out on the internet when I am
> only seeking a fairly local customer base.

I think that fear is a bit overblown; my name has been "public" for much
longer, and in a much bigger way, than most... and it has yet to cause me
any grief (other than the need for a better anti-spam filter, as I get over
500+ emails/day, of which 400 or so are spam). There's no more issue, in my
opinion, with a public 'net persona than there is with having a phone book
listing.

Trust me, if you believe you're reaching any of your local clientele here,
you'll get a much better response if you include your contact information.
You have little to fear and much to gain (speaking from a great many years
of experience).